2/15: First Stripers of the Year

I met up with my friend who is a regular in the North SF Bay Area. I was totally unfamiliar with this area, so his guidance proved to be very helpful. He was also nice enough to let me use his live bait. It was pretty easy fishing. I caught my first one in 10 minutes a 20 incher and shortly afterwards caught my 2nd fish of the day which was 22 inches. I missed like over 10 hits too. I dunno what it is that caused me to miss fish like that... they would take off hard but drop it. Probably have to get to the rod quick and set the hook while it's running before it drops the bait. It might be the circle hooks I dunno, still trying to figure out that piece of the puzzle. My buddy caught one and missed hits too. It was pretty easy fishin' and I had a blast. We were fishing off the bank without a boat. I used a sliding sinker with a 1oz weight and the leader was 25lb test and about 1.5 to 3 feet long with 3/0 circle hooks. Main line was 40lb braid. I was fishing with medium duty gear (rod & reel) and the fight was good but could have been better. Next time I gonna bring lighter gear like my freshwater bass rods. Pretty stoked to catch striper this early in the season and a limit at that!! (I apologize for having to block the background out, but my friend told me about this spot out of respect for him I want to keep it on the down low).

Nice! Are you trying to set the hook when using circles? If you are you're probably just pulling the hook/bait out of it's mouth, the circle should lip hook the fish on it's own once the fish turns.
Nice fish man! Where were you fishing? ;)
You guys that do that crap to your images make me laugh. Like nobody has ever caught fish where you just did lol. Nice fish though.
Thanks for posting. Why bother with circle hooks if your keeping limits? Not putting you down for keeping fish. Just thinking that circle hooks are used to reduce gut hooking fish. With the limit being 18 inches I doubt you will catch many if any fish smaller than 18inches. Maybe that area also has a lot of very small fish? Or after you get limits switch to circles. You don't need to set the hook with the circles. Hook usually sets itself in lip as fish turn. Let them fully engulge the bait.
Lee
houla wrote:
Nice fish man! Where were you fishing? ;)

He wont tell ya Neil and I can respect that as it is his buddy's spot. But not quite the friendliest from what I witnessed on another forum he's posted this report on. Lol.
I'll tell u....there are only a couple places to catch stripers in the bay this time of the year..hot spot is in the north bay, which is san Pablo, Richmond, or china camp..live bull heads, mudsuckers and shiners are KEY bait. Also there was a huge herring spawn recently around that area.id say Do a lil research on some spots out there or call Keith Fraser at Loch Lomond bait.. He'll tell u some good spots too
You can catch stripers all year long up in the north bay area. He was probably at paradise or the other pier in san rafael judging by the grass in the backround.
sidewazzz wrote:
You guys that do that crap to your images make me laugh. Like nobody has ever caught fish where you just did lol. Nice fish though.

+1 Pretty stupid IMO.
Winddog wrote:
sidewazzz wrote:

+1 Pretty stupid IMO.

Stick to your own spots and lay off on the carpetbaggin'. In case you guys didn't (can't) read check out the last sentence of this report.
[/quote]

Stick to your own spots and lay off on the carpetbaggin'. In case you guys didn't (can't) read check out the last sentence of this report.[/quote]

wow.....whats your point on this forum? This forum suppose to be informative and not to show off your little dinks and bragg that you caught fish...
The Pond King wrote:
Winddog wrote:
sidewazzz wrote:

+1 Pretty stupid IMO.

Stick to your own spots and lay off on the carpetbaggin'. In case you guys didn't (can't) read check out the last sentence of this report.

I read it, so what? Doesn’t change the fact that that crap is stupid 8-)

Oh & you might want to google Carpetbaggers to see what it means, I don't think you do. [green]
Striperbay408 wrote:

wow.....whats your point on this forum? This forum suppose to be informative and not to show off your little dinks and bragg that you caught fish...

Ego booster. I've seen all his reports posted across multiple forums, even the kayaking forums. Started a big fight over there, most of his reports have been locked down on that forum...hahaha.

If anyone is interested in seeing what an a$$ this guy is, check out these posts:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=44498.0
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=44512.0

Then tries to squash it and make peace, but backfires....lol.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=44555.0

Very defensive and angry from what I can tell. I guess he needs the ego boosters.
It happens to some people..
IBangBangU wrote:
Striperbay408 wrote:

Ego booster. I've seen all his reports posted across multiple forums, even the kayaking forums. Started a big fight over there, most of his reports have been locked down on that forum...hahaha.

If anyone is interested in seeing what an a$$ this guy is, check out these posts:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=44498.0
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=44512.0

Then tries to squash it and make peace, but backfires....lol.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=44555.0

Very defensive and angry from what I can tell. I guess he needs the ego boosters.

BUSTED! what a joke LOL!....ya bud, keep doing hook sets with your circle hook!
Striperbay408 wrote:

LOL...and he wondered why he wasn't hooking the fish. Hope you got a good laugh out of the reading material Striperbay.
Whoa, just went through all those. That's some ego there.
IBangBangU wrote:
Striperbay408 wrote:

LOL...and he wondered why he wasn't hooking the fish. Hope you got a good laugh out of the reading material Striperbay.

You can ( & should) actually set a circle hook though not in the traditional way. Here's how I set a circle hook.
After the fish takes the bait point the rod at the fish (just for a short moment) what this does is takes the rod out of the equation long enough so the tension (between the reel & the fish) "sets" the hook in the corner of the fish’s mouth.

Your mileage may vary.
Winddog wrote:
IBangBangU wrote:
Striperbay408 wrote:

You can ( & should) actually set a circle hook though not in the traditional way. Here's how I set a circle hook.
After the fish takes the bait point the rod at the fish (just for a short moment) what this does is takes the rod out of the equation long enough so the tension (between the reel & the fish) "sets" the hook in the corner of the fish’s mouth.

Your mileage may vary.

ok, there's a difference between SETTING A HOOK and letting the fish SET the hook itself...I am pretty sure in his explanation, he is ripping that rod and farming those fish with a circle hook.

Yes, you are explaining the correct way on how to properly use a circle hook, but does not bend the fact that when someone says SET THE HOOK, in your right mind you will not "point the rod and let the fish peel some line"...
ok, there's a difference between SETTING A HOOK and letting the fish SET the hook itself...I am pretty sure in his explanation, he is ripping that rod and farming those fish with a circle hook.

Yes, you are explaining the correct way on how to properly use a circle hook, but does not bend the fact that when someone says SET THE HOOK, in your right mind you will not "point the rod and let the fish peel some line"...[/quote]

Agree 100%

Yes, you are explaining the correct way on how to properly use a circle hook, but does not bend the fact that when someone says SET THE HOOK, in your right mind you will not "point the rod and let the fish peel some line"...[/

Again agree, I just thought I'd put some useful info in the thread. [green]