2016 Surf Fishing!

Happy New Years Everyone! January 1, 2016 Is off to a great start!!!
January 2, 2016! I promise all three are different fish...
January 3, 2016 fished early on the outgoing tide. Did a lot of walking and only landed a few small fish!
January 7, 2016 fished the out going tide from 9:30 a 11:30. There was a lot of debris at the high tide mark that was left on the beach. There were a lot of logs and tree limbs that were not there before so I think a river or two might be flowing. The surge was so bad it made it to dangerous to fish the steep beach. Managed to land three small ones!!!

Winter high tides are pushing up against the base of the sand dunes on the west facing beaches. Be careful and check the tides before going out!!!
good Perch Photos Glenn-it is a good way to start out the new year. Yeah the king tides are limiting and making it tougher to get to the fish. I'm planning on going out Sat or Sun- my fishing website says (I'm naïve) this weekend, especially Sunday supposed to be really good fishing. That website by the way which I really like is www.tides4fishing.com.

If you check it out, check out the prediction for this weekend. I should be out on the Monterey Beaches maybe northern part, Nashua Molera beach maybe.

Look forward to seeing any of you surf guys out there.
beachpotato wrote:
good Perch Photos Glenn-it is a good way to start out the new year. Yeah the king tides are limiting and making it tougher to get to the fish. I'm planning on going out Sat or Sun- my fishing website says (I'm naïve) this weekend, especially Sunday supposed to be really good fishing. That website by the way which I really like is http://www.tides4fishing.com.

If you check it out, check out the prediction for this weekend. I should be out on the Monterey Beaches maybe northern part, Nashua Molera beach maybe.

Look forward to seeing any of you surf guys out there.


BP,

Thanks for sharing that site! I learned about that one a couple years ago. Don't base whether you fish or not solely on the predictions. Each beach fishes a little different. Some better on incoming and some out going. There some places productive on a minus tide because of the deep troughs and holes. Just something to consider...

I always say the best time to go is when you have time. Beach structure is changing all the time with the big tides so getting out on a low tide will give you an idea where the fish may be when the tide is up.
January 8, 2016 fished the outgoing from 12:30 to 2:30. Not one bite. The surge was terrible. Can't wait until the tides settle down!
January 9, 2016 Fished the top of the high tide. The water has calmed down and was clean at Marina!!! I was able to find a few. Big one was 1.25 pounds!!
I had posted all the pics using my iPhone. Tonight was the first time I logged into the forum with my computer this year. I noticed that some of the pictures were rotated. Went back to my phone and all looked good. I apologize if what you are seeing are rotated photos. I'll try to make sure it doesn't continue to happen....
Thanks Glenn I was out on Saturday morning 9th. in the am. I first went to Molera State Beach, just north of the Monterey Dunes Colony. @ 7am was windier than hades! Obviously cold. I decided to pack it up and move south and went to Fort Ord Beach. Weather was better, almost no wind. But the waves were pounding at the shoreline, and good size waves at that. I'm not a pro surf fisher guy but if I were a perch I wouldn't want those waves pounding me. There were about 10 regulars stretched out fishing the beach, it was a disappointing day for all. Maybe a couple of Perch counted.

Went out Sunday morning yesterday to Monterey Beach just north of Wharf number 2. Great conditions a Perch and a Jack Smelt between me and my bro.

Nice Perch- ! btw I'm with you on the tides. Both days was almost backed up against the sand dunes [green] - as Arnold said "i'll be back".
January 15, 2016 fished Marina Beach from 7-10 on the incoming. Water was clean. A lot of small fish. Didn't find anything bigger that 3/4 lbs.
January 18, 2016 fished the outgoing tide at Marina from 8:30-1130. Found some good looking water and had a few bites but fish were landed. Water was rough in most spots.
Thank Glenn for the update, I didn't go out this last weekend so it's good to see someone did. Water still rough it looks like....... see you on the beach. I'll report next time I head out, possibly one day this weekend.
January 20, 2016 fished the outgoing tide from 7:30 - 1130. Walked about two miles of beach and only landed one 1.5 pounder!
waves don't look too bad in that photo Glenn. How were they yesterday? You certainly burned off the calories in the 4 hours walking :D . Good looking Perch. Thanks,
beachpotato wrote:
waves don't look too bad in that photo Glenn. How were they yesterday? You certainly burned off the calories in the 4 hours walking :D . Good looking Perch. Thanks,


Tide was big when I first got there. Once it started to drop it was nice but couldn't find the fish. Worked the beach with a buddy and we covered a lot of water. I landed one and he landed two. Both his perch were 6" long. That's fishing for you...most days are spent searching. It's the days you find them that make it all with while!!!
January 21, 2016 fished the evening low from 2-5pm. Way better bite in the evening. Water was perfect even on a minus tide!
Sweet!! I'm getting itchy think I'm going out Sunday morning. Haven't been to Aptos Seascape in a while probably head over there.
Went out to Aptos Seascape yesterday incoming tide @ around 7am. Fished north of the resort a bit for 3 hours or so. Only saw one other guy fishing and he didn't last long. Tough waves yesterday breaking in close to shore and one after another, non stop. Managed 3 Perch, 2 small and one probably a bit more than a pound. Not much other than that. Had my beachpotato chair and took a break (thinking the waves at high would flatten out ;( ) rested had my stogie, some peanuts, and a sip of something to warm the insides. Enjoyed the view of the spandex and one brave female in an awesome tiny, teeny bikini [green] Overall fun day. The spud.
beachpotato wrote:
Went out to Aptos Seascape yesterday incoming tide @ around 7am. Fished north of the resort a bit for 3 hours or so. Only saw one other guy fishing and he didn't last long. Tough waves yesterday breaking in close to shore and one after another, non stop. Managed 3 Perch, 2 small and one probably a bit more than a pound. Not much other than that. Had my beachpotato chair and took a break (thinking the waves at high would flatten out ;( ) rested had my stogie, some peanuts, and a sip of something to warm the insides. Enjoyed the view of the spandex and one brave female in an awesome tiny, teeny bikini [green] Overall fun day. The spud.


BP
Thanks for the report! Sounds like a relaxing morning on the beach. I've never noticed the view because I'm so focused in fishing [8|]