A little help from the swimbait pros? Swimbait 101?

Looking at Dobyns 806 & 807. Tempted by the Okuma Big Bait series for price reasons.
Any suggestions? I'd tell you what baits I plan on throwing but it seems that you have to be in a super-secret club in order to even get a shot at buying any of them lol . How do I join?
And here's a basic/maybe dumb question. I understand how to adjust a baitcaster for average sized baits,(slowed drop from the rod tip) but I can't imagine cranking down the mechanical brake/spool tension enough to slow a 4-10 oz. bait. My guess is you set it at a nominal tension and thumb it from there?
I've got a 7/11 okuma and I love it. I can't speak from experience on the dobyns rods but allen ues em so yea, they must be solid! You don't have to crank the drag way down because the weight of the lure alone will"pull" the line off the reel, and keep from getting backlashes. I prefer 65lb braid on my swimbaits, sometimes with 25-30lb flouro leader, sometimes straight. Welcome to trophy bass fishing!
Great question!

I have heard great things about both Dobyns rods. Check out swimbaitnation.com. I think this thread has come up many times with some great input. Ultimately, I think it depends on if you want an all around swimbait rod or if you plan to use it for one specific bait.

And good luck with the Wake Jr. funny how you could get them anywhere 2 years ago and now its like feeding seagulls at the beach, not enough for all. Mickey does bait releases and you have to follow 3:16 on FB and Instagram to qualify and pull the trigger when he makes the announcement. My facebook is now littered constantly of his photos of tacos and whatever he wants to post. Kinda cult like huh?
Keepitquiet74 wrote:
Great question!

I have heard great things about both Dobyns rods. Check out swimbaitnation.com. I think this thread has come up many times with some great input. Ultimately, I think it depends on if you want an all around swimbait rod or if you plan to use it for one specific bait.

And good luck with the Wake Jr. funny how you could get them anywhere 2 years ago and now its like feeding seagulls at the beach, not enough for all. Mickey does bait releases and you have to follow 3:16 on FB and Instagram to qualify and pull the trigger when he makes the announcement. My facebook is now littered constantly of his photos of tacos and whatever he wants to post. Kinda cult like huh?

Ha yea unfortunately its a price you pay to stay up on inventories. I cant tell you how many companies i follow on fb just so i know when stock becomes available. I did the same to get my hudd 68's. +1 on swimbaitnation, good info. There arent alot of "secret" baits with the interwebs, theres just select times when theyre available. Which is a pain, but if you think about it a good thing, the harder they are to come by,th e less fish see them. Ide say keep it simple in the beginning and stick with whats proven, hudds, triple trouts, ms slammers, ac minnows, rago's, osprey
UGH! I hate Facebook! lol
Great info guys. Spent a good part of the weekend going through searches/threads on SwimbaitNation. Tons of information there. It can be a bit overwhelming.
Jt, which 7'11" okuma do you have, heavy, x heavy? Is it happy throwing both the 6 and 8in. Hudds?
Any chance you still have any of those 68s' that you and FRED-E bought for sale? Seems a lot of guys aren't that happy with the regular 6in. baits.
i got a champion 806 and a lexa 300....love it
Thegrayelehant how do you like your lexa 300? I'm thinking about picking one up when coyote bait has there sale in march :)
Do yourself a favor and put braid on there! It will help amongst other things help get the hook sets needed to plant those hooks in the thick mouths of big fish, and help you overpower em to the boat. You don't wanna be waiting for a big fish to tire out, too much can go wrong. If anyones looking drewsturrr has a abu garcia ambassador for cheap which is decent, and alot of guys are making the switch to the okuma isis reel. Its suppose be able cast a mile and great quality. The guys at big bass dreamss are selling off calcuttas and switching. Says alot for a 200 dollar reel
What sites do you guys recommend for information about big swimbait fishing?