Advice on buying a used boat

Hello All,
Long story short, I was interested in buying a classic car (68-72 chevelle), and managed to save up 5k. This will buy me a POS chevelle that probably won't even turn over. I decided a more fun project would be a bass boat. With so many different makes and models, I can't figure out which ones are worth the cash. Here is my criteria:

1.) 5k or less
2.) Able to accomodate 2-3 (preferably 3 fishers).
3.) Enough kick to get around a decent sized resevoir in a reasonable amount of time.
4.) in the 12-17' range
5.) I'd like to buy one with a depth/fish finder.
6.) Not too old (95 or newer)

Any suggestions on what models to look out for on craigslist/these forums?
A few more details I left out of my first post. I have never owned a boat before. I'm very handy with mechanical things however, so I can handle regular motor maintenance. As for aluminum or fiberglass, I honestly think that fiberglass looks cooler, but I'm not set on it. Practicality > looks for me. I'm looking at a boat I can take fishing and camping at a variety of places (Clear Lake, Eastman Lake, Bass Lake, Lake Oroville, etc.) Most of the places mentioned are larger resevoirs, so I need something that can get around. Also, the tow-vehicle I currently have: a 2006 Chevy Colorado 2wd light truck. I'll have to look at the towing capacity, but I'm guessing it's not much. This may make the lighter aluminum boat a better option.
So I've found two boats I like. Both are 90's bass tracker pro's (aluminum, 17.5 feet). They have 40 hp Mercury motors with 40# trolling motors. Both are in decent shape. They both want $5,000. What price would you guys consider good on something like this?
Bass Trackers are good starter boats. I would reccomend compression check on the motor and check if there is water in the lower unit oil. The oil will look milky.

As for compression, you numbers should be straigth across the board and make sure it has no more than 5% variance.

You will have to pay to have it done, but its worth it as b.o.a.t. does stand for
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Aluminum is not as good for rough water, however it is super light on towing

Glass cuts the wakes a little better. The larger you go the better.

PM me if you have questions
Thanks for the reply! I ended up not making a deal on the tracker. Dude wanted 4900.... A little too much based on what I saw. I think I'm going to go with an older nitro fiberglass boat (19-21'). I'll make sure to get a boat mechanic to take a look for compression issues and such. Thanks again man.
Anthony is right.. I had a tracker, it was my 3rd boat but the best I have owned to date. Sold here on the forums. Just like the ones your looking into. But for the 5000... I would look more into 18-21' if you can find one in the 5k range.. which im sure you will cause they are all over the place for sale right now.. but like he said make sure you get a compression test and have the hull and transoms checked for rot otherwise like he said "B.O.A.T" will be very true.
Check craigslist as well but not just in the south bay area.. check sac, modesto areas as well...
There are many Rangers and Nitros out there in your price range and years you requested.
Good luck.. I can't wait till I can get my new/ used boat.. hopefully soon..

TheGrayElephant wrote:
Bass Trackers are good starter boats. I would reccomend compression check on the motor and check if there is water in the lower unit oil. The oil will look milky.
As for compression, you numbers should be straigth across the board and make sure it has no more than 5% variance.

You will have to pay to have it done, but its worth it as b.o.a.t. does stand for
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Aluminum is not as good for rough water, however it is super light on towing

Glass cuts the wakes a little better. The larger you go the better.

PM me if you have questions