Almaden Cranking

Have been going to Almaden. A lot of bedding fish all over the place, but seeing as though I don't like sight fishing and trying to get fish on the bed to bite, cause they are always so spooked by everyone, I just targeted the cruisers that I couldn't see. Started throwing the squarebill crank along the shallows, and the bass were following it but wouldnt commit. Once I realized that and started using a stop-go retreive they started smashing it on the pause. Fun times, my favorite kind of fishing is crankbait fishing. I did catch one male off the bed, but thats only because it was too big to pass up lol. Went through about 6 baits, and once I put on the rootbeet colored Senko he didn't hesitate. But definately more fun to catch the pre-spawn/post-spawn fish. Also had some luck on the drop shot.
FishPic
Nice fish! I've been using smaller jerkbaits to target cruisers. What was the color of your crank?
I was using blackback chartreuse, I guess to mimic a bluegill is what they say lol, even with the bright colors i feel it works great in the super clear water too.
BigBassChaser wrote:
I was using blackback chartreuse, I guess to mimic a bluegill is what they say lol, even with the bright colors i feel it works great in the super clear water too.

I've caught a lot of fish in clear water using chartreuse back/white belly ripbaits too! It was my confidence bait for a long time before I read that it wasn't supposed to work... lol
Cool! I've been using brown craw at Almaden. Works pretty well too, probably due to the similar color.
I ran into a dude at Almaden lake under the bride a while back that was throwing a brown craw KVD 2.5, showed me some pics of the almaden percs and told me how to get there. Was that you? Once I leanred how to use a squarebill crank, which is pretty easy, I havn't been able to put it down. Theres something about fishing super fast and having the fish just stop your lure during a fast retrieve. Toooo good
i was having good luck throwing zoom paddle tail super flukes out there too
BigBassChaser wrote:
I ran into a dude at Almaden lake under the bride a while back that was throwing a brown craw KVD 2.5, showed me some pics of the almaden percs and told me how to get there. Was that you? Once I leanred how to use a squarebill crank, which is pretty easy, I havn't been able to put it down. Theres something about fishing super fast and having the fish just stop your lure during a fast retrieve. Toooo good

Nope, not me. I'm not really a fan of squarebills.