Almaden Lake

Info...apparently the DFG is considering the part of Almaden Lake underneath the Coleman road bridge as the beginning of the river system and it is off limits to all fishing. I have seen conflicting times about when fishing is allowed. It's either the last Saturday in April or May through November 15th. No fishing at all during the winter months into spring and as always only barbless hooks throughout the year.
I am trying to confirm the exact opening date to let everybody know. Do not keep any salmon or steelhead as it is a huge fine especially the steelhead since they are considered endangered.
Inside the lake it's ok to use barbed hooks, but once you are under the bridge it has to be barbless.

There has been a DFG warden out at Almaden Lake several times over the past few months.
Just passing the info along so everybody that fishes Almaden knows.
Kevkc wrote:
Info...apparently the DFG is considering the part of Almaden Lake underneath the Coleman road bridge as the beginning of the river system and it is off limits to all fishing. I have seen conflicting times about when fishing is allowed. It's either the last Saturday in April or May through November 15th. No fishing at all during the winter months into spring and as always only barbless hooks throughout the year.
I am trying to confirm the exact opening date to let everybody know. Do not keep any salmon or steelhead as it is a huge fine especially the steelhead since they are considered endangered.
Inside the lake it's ok to use barbed hooks, but once you are under the bridge it has to be barbless.

There has been a DFG warden out at Almaden Lake several times over the past few months.
Just passing the info along so everybody that fishes Almaden knows.

thanks for the tip Kevin, i personally dont like that rule since the bridge is a key area where fish are and it provides us protection from the rain, and warm early april months!
yeah its true was out friday in the storm was fishing under bridge maybe 15 feet on lake lake side had us move while it was pouring rain. yeah key area, next thing u know all lakes will be closed way things are going around here. does any one know if row boats and boats with outboard motor that always at lex have to go through any kind of inspection?
those row boats are part of Santa Clara U. and los gatos highschool row clubs. The motorboats are their coaches. I don't think any boats or float tubes are allowed on that lake
I brought my kayak out several years ago. I didn't really ask myself if it was illegal or not. No one bugged me so who knows.

Just saw that on this thread tough-weather-has-has-slowed-the-bite-4054.html "Dockboy" says no boats other than the rowboats are allowed.
Several years ago everything electric or less were allowed on Lexington. Now NOTHING is allowed. The Rowing club has had a contract for the last several years that apparently puts them above the law since they have been using boats with gas motors. All their kayaks and boats are housed in their private garage, so they do not leave the lake, therefore do not need inspection (Their private garage on public land). Whether they bring more in or not is irrelevant because they pay the water district and county alot of money apparently to be invincible.

It has only become illegal since the global warming...i mean zebra mussel epidemic has come about.

I seem to remember hearing something about Anderson is going to be shutting down for work on the dam, and therefore relocating the inspection to Lex? I can only pray this is true.
Oh yea...an total BS about the coleman bridge is the "creek" territory...because it is somehow different than the rest of the lake.
I understand the frustration . To be clear , both the water ski area off Monterey Highway and the rowers at Lexington have been given "special" permits and are working on the "honor" system. In other words , they acted quickly and worked closely with Park Rangers and SCVWD to get what they requested (access to these waters) As fisherman , we have to group together and start attending SCVWD meetings and determining the best way to get more and better access to our resources . This is one of the advantages of SJBass , Western Bass forums etc... Multiple people having their voice heard and working towards common goals.
I have discussed this issue several times with Denise at CBT , she shares the same concerns about Fishermans access to our local lakes. If your concerned ??!! Dont sit around complaining , do something , go to the SCVWD meetings ,write letters etc.... 1Old man
So when can we go? We should try an make an attempt at getting a large enough group together to try and make a difference. One person in the crowd would be nothing but a fart in the wind. haha. But you know what i mean.
Moto-Fishin Andy wrote:
So when can we go? We should try an make an attempt at getting a large enough group together to try and make a difference. One person in the crowd would be nothing but a fart in the wind. haha. But you know what i mean.

TOGA,TOGA,TOGA,TOGA,,,,,,,,,,TOGA,,,,,,,nothing is over until we say it's over ,,,,I'm with you!!!!!!!

let's GOOOOOOOO
Hey MotoA ,
Thanks for considering supporting this.
I am going to talk with Denise after she gets done with her sale this weekend. Need to find out when the next meeting will be held for SCVWD. It's best if we start showing up in some type of numbers with a plan on how to work with these groups. We need to have the right methods that best represent what we need to achieve , better access , better fishing resources , etc.....
Clearly the more fisherman that are thier to make sure our voice is heard , the better.
Lastly , if we never show up , I am sure they assume we are happy with our resources , I will post dates on when SCVWD has a board meeting later. 1Old man
1Old man wrote:
Hey MotoA ,
Thanks for considering supporting this.
I am going to talk with Denise after she gets done with her sale this weekend. Need to find out when the next meeting will be held for SCVWD. It's best if we start showing up in some type of numbers with a plan on how to work with these groups. We need to have the right methods that best represent what we need to achieve , better access , better fishing resources , etc.....
Clearly the more fisherman that are thier to make sure our voice is heard , the better.
Lastly , if we never show up , I am sure they assume we are happy with our resources , I will post dates on when SCVWD has a board meeting later. 1Old man

me too I'm in old man let's do this thing we need all sjbass to attend let's take the movement to the political forum 8-) [!] 8-)
Public District Board meetings are held at 9:30 a.m. every other Tuesday.

They are open to the public and any member of the public (that resides within the District's jurisdiction). Public comment time is reserved at the very onset of the meeting and you will need to check in with the Clerk to request time on the date of the meeting.

http://valleywater.org/About/BoardMeetings.aspx

The District LOVES helping local businesses. It is a major area of focus for the Board, so much that the District must compile quarterly reports to the Board to show progress in this area. One angle may be the effect of waterway closures on local businesses. CBT may be useful in this area, as well as any other local business owners that the closures impact.

As far as opening up the Almaden stream, fat chance. The steelhead run is a hot area politically and the District will continue to use it to show that they are environmentally conscious, etc. Even if only two fish travel up that creek a year it's still worth it for the District to show they have the run to make the general public happy. Environment is a major focus for them as well. So much that the District wasted a ton of money in the past 2-3 years converting to low-water plants and such so that they can practice what they preach in their commercials.

Other than speaking in the meetings, getting to know your Board member is a great way of getting stuff done. These people are elected and want to keep their posts. Write to them and stop them on the street to address your concerns. I recommend proofreading your papers before you sent them, they're no-nonsense types of people who will not take you seriously if you don't come off composed. That means no CAPS or endless exclamation points !!!! or whatever.

http://valleywater.org/About/BoardMembers.aspx

I'm happy to help you guys however I can. I work with some people at the District. That doesn't give me any influence but I know a little about how it works over there.

Keep in mind that demanding more resources isn't going to get us anywhere without giving them something in return. The District sees all that fishing line laying around and the cans of corn, sardines, and such. I know that's not most people on this forum (or sportbassfisherman in general) but we must offer them something. Clean ups is good. Asking for more trashcans would be a nice start to show them that we care about the waters. Once our foot's in the door, we can push further. We can also say that we want their waters to be catch and release only. It's their property and they have the power to make that happen. That might buy us some respect.
Moto-Fishin Andy wrote:
Oh yea...an total BS about the coleman bridge is the "creek" territory...because it is somehow different than the rest of the lake.

I fish this bridge too and am upset what we can't fish it until sometime in April.

What you're saying, however, isn't necessarily true. The creek is different than the rest of the lake because steelhead travel through the creek. Although they also travel through the lake, their run is through the creek and they are more concentrated in that area. In all honesty, they could really be d.cks about it and not let us fish the lake either because of the run. It's their water.
Skunk ,
sorry to disagree , it's not "thier" water , it belongs to the santa clara county citizens who pay the taxes in "support" of SCVWD. They have a charter and need to publish guidlines , goals , rules etc......
Again , if your "vote" is never heard , the people within these organizations assume you are completely happy with how they set up rules and govern these bodies of water .
Are you 100% happy with all the rules regarding the bodies of water you fish locally?????? If not , make sure your voice is heard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to the meetings that are determining your fishing future .
Who knows , maybe if enough people get involved , we can actually IMPROVE our fishing in local lakes.
1Old man