Anderson 1/26

loop dad ,
I don't hate Carp , as a matter of fact they can be a great deal of fun to catch .
The problem is simple . All the local lakes have way to many carp . There isn't enough fisherman that target Carp and keep them . Carp eat bass eggs and destroy bass nest's . Bass populations can be severely affected by Carp populations . I would rather have a solid bass population vs to many carp.
If it's to difficult to "smash" a carp in the head , do what I do , slit to the gills , one up the belly , back in the water . It's kinda a win/win , the carp dies and no longer can feed on bass eggs , crawdads get a free meal for the weeks .
On the east coast and in the Midwest , Carp are so prolific they are still commercially fished (fertilizer , pet food by products etc..) .
Do some research and you will find that carp are almost always considered a trash fish , or an invasive species with no real value .
If you prefer bass over carp fishing , release the bass , kill the carp --it's that simple.
tight lines ,
Robb
1Old man wrote:
loop dad ,
I don't hate Carp , as a matter of fact they can be a great deal of fun to catch .
The problem is simple . All the local lakes have way to many carp . There isn't enough fisherman that target Carp and keep them . Carp eat bass eggs and destroy bass nest's . Bass populations can be severely affected by Carp populations . I would rather have a solid bass population vs to many carp.
If it's to difficult to "smash" a carp in the head , do what I do , slit to the gills , one up the belly , back in the water . It's kinda a win/win , the carp dies and no longer can feed on bass eggs , crawdads get a free meal for the weeks .
On the east coast and in the Midwest , Carp are so prolific they are still commercially fished (fertilizer , pet food by products etc..) .
Do some research and you will find that carp are almost always considered a trash fish , or an invasive species with no real value .
If you prefer bass over carp fishing , release the bass , kill the carp --it's that simple.
tight lines ,
Robb

+1
Bottom line: To many people keeping bass and not enough keeping carp! I have been at Calero and every third cast with a lipless bait I would snag one or roll over ones shoulder. Suprised with the population in the bay area they would not be desecrated..

Set'Em Good
Speaking of carp...
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=9412510
a similar event happened @ Coyote several years ago . Most likely it's caused by a virus that seems to only affect Carp (yeah !!!!) . This virus seems to happen across the country in various lakes and rivers .
The Coyote "die off" seemed to kill thousands of fish within a one month period . I would suspect that Coyote will see an increase in the "smaller " bass over the next few years .
Carp are a totally useless fish , fun to catch --- but totally worthless .
When I fished back in the Midwest as a kid , we did everything possible to kill off all the carp and bullheads we caught . All the trash fish are gilled , gutted and released and NOBODY considered Carp anything but a trash , useless fish that negatively affects "sport fish " .
For those who enjoy "targeting " carp , please sell off your bass gear , invest in carp gear , and catch , keep em , eat em and do everything possible to reduce their populations , especially at Calero ----please .
tight lines ,
Robb
5 at Anderson today, missed a few late in the day. going out tomorrow before the game
How are the water levels at Anderson? I have not made it out this year yet (or the end of last year for that matter). Good to hear they are still biting!
Low, but maybe this rain will help...
I like it were it is, I can walk around easily, plus I have some crankbaits I wanna grab if it gets any lower
Anyone fish Ando when it rained?
Fished woodchoppers area on Saturday in the rain. Caught a dink on a speed trap. Fished the points past the boat launch today with no luck.