Anderson Closing by 2016 for Dam Retro Fit

Hi All,

They are going to shut down Anderson by 2016 and drain it for the retro fit of the Dam. Here is the link to the article: http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/county/anderson-dam-redo-it-s-a-blast/article_408f37c8-6654-11e2-ae33-001a4bcf6878.html

It also says they will drain it? What the heck will happen to the fish. Down the creek into the ponds. Wonder if they will restock it after also?

This sucks.
Sounds like a dream come true! Drain that damn place. Anywhere you can not respectively target bass over 2 lbs should be drained and they should start over. Maybe this time around they will add some cover or something :). I rather fish Calero or Coyote any day of the week.
^maybe your not fishing it right. I got 5 out of there 2 days ago, 2 over 2lbs and a 3lber. And my buddy pulled a 7/8lber last week although it went unverified as we didn't have a scale, we were getting 10-15 fish a day consistently from shore in december/january.. You also have to think about in comparison to the majority of the country. There's more fisheries than not that don't have big fish.
What did you get them on JTMoney if you dont mind me asking. I have been there 2 times in January walking quite a bit of the shore near the bridge, and up the road from there a bit. They didnt want my jerkbait, jig, crankbait, or drop shot lol
Yep. I pulled a 5.5lb this last summer from Anderson. I just hope they do something to re-stock it again. It is also one of the bigger local lakes for boats.

I was using a jig by the way on the fish I caught.
Yea, last summer up to this november I caught them at Anderson on a jig, chatterbait, crankbait, and jerkbait, up to 3.5lbs, but december and january I havnt been able to catch em. Such a huge lake has huge potential. There are some videos of people catching up to 6lbs with the lunker punker, or catching em on the frog, I think in the northern coves out of a boat. Maybe after they revamp and restock the lake it'll produce more numbers.
About 25 years ago , they had to drain Anderson to do repairs to the pumps at the bottom . There was a big article in the Merc about "volunteers" working with the DFG in taking gamefish (bass , crappie and catfish) and restocking them . A customer of mine at that time , was one of the Rangers and he told me they moved the fish to Calero , mainly because Coyote and Chebro were to low. Totally made sense , about 3 years later , Calero went from a lousy fishery to what it's been the past 10-15 years. Locally , I think people need to "push " the SCVWD and DFG to re-stock the bass into all our local lakes (Calero , Yote , Lex , etc..) otherwise , they will kill em and dump em.

On a serperate note , Anderson is a great winter fishery . I think it's the best time to get the big bass there.
Personally , my best is a 8.5lbs on a C-rig , with lots of 3 and 4 's.
tight lines ,
Robb
1Old man wrote:
About 25 years ago , they had to drain Anderson to do repairs to the pumps at the bottom . There was a big article in the Merc about "volunteers" working with the DFG in taking gamefish (bass , crappie and catfish) and restocking them . A customer of mine at that time , was one of the Rangers and he told me they moved the fish to Calero , mainly because Coyote and Chebro were to low. Totally made sense , about 3 years later , Calero went from a lousy fishery to what it's been the past 10-15 years. Locally , I think people need to "push " the SCVWD and DFG to re-stock the bass into all our local lakes (Calero , Yote , Lex , etc..) otherwise , they will kill em and dump em.

On a serperate note , Anderson is a great winter fishery . I think it's the best time to get the big bass there.
Personally , my best is a 8.5lbs on a C-rig , with lots of 3 and 4 's.
tight lines ,
Robb

This is bad news.

Robb, do you know if they restock the lake 25 years ago? I wonder if the drainage of 25 years ago has something to do with Anderson's fish relatively smaller than other lakes today.
When was the last time that that the DFG actually stocked bass in the bay area? They may do it in a situation like this, but they seem way more interested in the put-and-take trout stocking which has never made sense to me.
There are only two reasons I do like the trout stocking programs. One is because it feeds big bass, and the other is, it's always fun when you accidentally start slaying stocker trout on a rip bait etc... The powerbait n' wait guys go nuts when you start releasing them. lol
Wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense to stock bass, catfish or crappie in our warm water lakes? Something that has a chance of the holdovers reproducing?
Loop dad ,
I never heard if they re-stocked it or not . I know that they found a few stripers when they drained it , one was over 25 lbs.
One of the major problems when you drain a lake , is baitfish. How do you replace a lake with a great population of threadfin shad? 20 years ago , the crawfish population in Anderson was crazy .
Back in the early 80's I used to keep a few fish for my mother-in-law , I would find 4 or 5 crawfish in every belly and the fish were always really fat , kinda the way they are at Lexington now.
Now is the time to coordinate local fisherman and put pressure on the SCVWD and DFG to make sure they re-establish the fishery . If we don't , they sure don't care .
To many people like to talk , but take no action .
I know one thing for sure , if others didn't take action when they drained it last time , Calero wouldn't be the fishery that I have enjoyed and caught well over a dozen bass over 9 lbs the past 10 years and countless 4-7 lbers.
Robb
Check this out, he seems a little nervous, no?!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NkkXmzF ... ata_player
lol lol lol How many times did they cut that clip? Is he the best spokesman they could come up with?
big bear ,
good post , unfortunately this guy doesn't have the facts . Anderson does not supply drinking water to anybody , I have had several discussiuons the past month with SCVWD in an attempt
to re-open Anderson to boating. They have told me that Anderson is basically "emergency water" to be used if needed and for groundwater recharge.
the SCWVD also told me what the concern is for earthquakes . They said that "test's" show in a major earthquake the top of the dam could settle as much as 10 feet allowing a "full" lake to spill over the top of the dam , eventually eroding the backside of the dam effecting a total collapse.
I say total BS . About 20 years ago , there was a 6.3 earthquake directly in Morgan Hill and the dam only had a few cracks in the pavement.
If anybody is interested in putting pressure on getting the lake re-opened . You need to contact
Parks and Recreation located in Los gatos , ask for Kelly Klett @ 408-355-2227. If you want to add additional pressure to support fishing , you can also call SCVWD district @ 408-265-2600 and ask for Mark Merritt. They won't give you good answers , but pressure is pressure and if you don't call , they think everything thing is OK.
Robb
Keepitquiet74 wrote:
Sounds like a dream come true! Drain that damn place. Anywhere you can not respectively target bass over 2 lbs should be drained and they should start over. Maybe this time around they will add some cover or something :). I rather fish Calero or Coyote any day of the week.

Hah. On average the fish are pretty small but Anderson can produce some big fish and I have caught my fair share of them. Also, Anderson has cover when they allow the water to be high enough. Even when the water isn't high, Anderson is loaded with submerged trees as well as rocky points that you can fish. I would hate to see Anderson get drained and lose all its fish. To me it is the best and most consistent lake for catching bass in Santa Clara County.
Haha I just wanted to post that video but, I also know by coming together we could help with this issue, i love Anderson I've been going here since I was a kid but any ways, when I was a kid I remember the water fall the dam would create and the small pools it would have. I am up for the Dam being fixed but I was also thinking when they do drain the lake that they would catch the fish in small pools that the reservoir has making it easier for the fish to net and relocate I'M HOPING I don't really know 100% what the waters used for but all i do know it also keeps coyote creek full from Anderson to san Jose for the trout to swim and any other fish I know many years ago salmon and steal head would travel up this far. So ya I'm all up for it being fixed if they do it right and IF THEY HURRY UP so we can get back to what we do best and that's putting a line in the water and hooking that fish.

And keep us posted on updates.
And as for mister keepitquiet maybe he should do what is s/n says and keep it quiet haha I'm kidding bro give Anderson a chance Learn the lake find your strategy and you'll keep them coming.
lol Was out at Uvas the other day and was fishing the dam and there was 6 or 7 water district trucks below. What they were doing though I'm not sure about, but it definitely wasn't working. Just sittin around and talking. As I was leaving the group of them were playing baseball...wtf? they certainly don't give a sh!t about the fishing so talking to them would be a long shot. Don't they get paid good money? I sure would like to get paid to play baseball... (8-|
The overall attitude regarding this topic is understandable. As an bass fishermen in the Bay Area, you never want to loose a resource. I think we can all agree that Anderson is a very easy place to catch fish. We have all taken people to this lake, fishermen or non-fishermen, because we know, generally, it is easier to catch fish here than most of our other local reservoirs. Plus, where would we have a local tourney?

I have fished this lake for somewhere around 20+ years. I promise I have have no problem catching fish here. My biggest out of Anderson was an 8 and change from 30 feet of water on a 4 inch dart headed worm. I have had 100 fish days on jerk baits in the spring. I consider this lake to be one of the best jig lakes around. Yes the lake has plenty of 2-5 lb bass but can anyone say they could go out there tomorrow and have a 70% or better chance to catch five 3 lbers? So why is the size population down? Competition for Food, lack of structure, water level fluctuations? I would guess it is probably a factor of all of them. There is a great abundance of submerged tree's in the lake and most of the better than average sized fish can be targeted here. This is why every CBT tournament is always won somewhere near the bridge, there is a high concentration of submerged tree's there. The issue I have is that if you go back in time and look at the results from every CBT tournament dating back 10 years, you see that very rarely does anyone average five 2lb fish. Ya guys catch a five here or a 4 there and have 10+ pounds, but it's like 2-4 teams that's it. That means roughly 40 teams with 2 guys can't average five 2 pound bass.

It used to be way better when the water remained high. Some of you seasoned anglers remember the summer of 2009 or 2010, my memory is slipping, when the lake was full and their was grass everywhere? There was a frog bite in Packwood and a great lunker punker bite. You can see proof of this if you watch Russ Snyders' video's from that summer. And I know that 15 years ago, 20lb bags in fall/winter derbies wasn't unheard of. The lake fluctuation affects those weeds. Calero and Coyote always have weeds in the summer no matter what. I believe under water vegetation is the key to big bass.

Ultimately my point is this, is it worth having a lake that cannot be filled because the dam isn't sound and potentially hurting the population more and more? Or, fix the dam, relocate the fish, and then reopen and restock new fish? Like they did at DVL, well not that they ever drained it, but you get the picture. Baitfish, bluegill, crappie, craws, maybe some Florida's......

Agree or disagree, just playing devil's advocate. This lake has great potential but not so much if it is at max 70% capacity.
Fixing the dam will be better for the place in the long run, I'm just hoping the DFG relocates the existing fish and restocks the lake after they finish the work.

As for the trucks at Uvas, not sure if this is related, but there was an armed home robbery in Almaden a couple of days ago and one of the two stolen vehicles, a Highlander, was found submerged in Uvas.
scvwd doesnt really care to much about fishing in there reservoirs, they are run for percolation and water storage as one and only focus, always has been. The water that is released out of the anderson is percolated along coyote creek to replenish underwater ground water which is constantly being pumped for drinking water. The santa clara valley has major aquafers and has great percolation properties allowing this to occur. Anderson is also along a fault line so the earthquake retro is warranted. This will be interesting to see the effects on stream flow for steelhead since anderson allows for a constant steady amount of flow along coyote for steelhead to migrate to and from the sea, and is required to have a minimum flow amount or coyote in many stretches most likely will go completely dry