Anderson---East Dunne Exit to the bridge

I've been fishing this side of the lake for a few months now. I'd hike down to the bottom of the bridge and head right, around the point, and there's a bunch of huge boulders and rocks. I've been told by a few people that this whole side of the lake from the bridge on down to the right is great for Largemouth. I haven't caught anything! I've used everything in both my tackle boxes. I've got the dark and light colors of spinners (small and large), crankbaits, jerkbaits, minnows, money minnows, rooster tails, kastmasters (gold, chrome, rainbow) and a variety of plastic worms, purple, purple with brown bottoms, brown with green bottoms, red with pink bottoms...etc! I've got a Shimano 6'6" medium heavy one piece with a Shimano Saros 2500F with 20lb. For the small lures and roosters i'm using my Fenwick 6' two piece light with a Shimano Saros 1000F with 6lb.
Now my question...
Am I in the wrong place? I went last week before Daylight savings, got there at exactly 6am, still pitch black out. Got to my spot, setup and I could hear the fish jumping everywhere, including right in front of me. I stayed until 12 noon. During that time, I moved back and forth from the Boulders section back to the bridge. During that time, I also used every damn trick and everything in my tackle boxes. I messed around with the plastics too, setting up the Carolina, then the whacky, drop shotting. To be honest, I got hooked on Largemouth fishing last year. Got heavily into it, bought a ton of different lures which is why I've got so much stuff. I have yet to catch ONE. Not even a bite. I'm not a rookie at fishing, but I've had no luck catching ANYTHING in an entire year everywhere I've gone. The only reason I ask about ANDERSON is because I can fish at 6am instead of waiting till 8am. The closest I got to catching anything off what I have was in Del Valle last month. I was on a boat by the daam, tossed a Rapala all white minnow in and a nice 3lb trout bit. It managed to get loose even when I kept tension on. Anyways, I got laid off so I've been doing a lot of fishing. If any of you are in the same situation and are up for some fishing, let me know. Maybe I've been doing this all wrong. PLEASE HELP My biggest goal is to catch a big Largemouth!
Welcom to the forums. Anderson is usually good for small to med size bass. That is usually a great area. Right now things are tough. Bass are in a different mood. I went there last wed from the boat and got one fish. Usually I am good for at least 10 or more. During the spring will be the best chance for you to get some bass and some very nice ones. Bass fishing during the fall can be good and bad. During the spring you'll catch them everywhere with just about everything. I have been out at anderson and between three of us boated around 150 fish in one day during the spring. Nothing huge but a lot of fun.

If you want a big one, get a swim bait set up and fish Coyote until you arm falls off.
CABassBuster21 wrote:
If you want a big one, get a swim bait set up and fish Coyote until you arm falls off.

SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....... }:(
ok, i checked my tackle boxes, I do have a few rainbow money minnows and a few green top white hollow belly money minnows swim baits. I just looked up Coyote Lake on DFG's website and noticed it's in Gilroy. Looks like a big lake. I'm obviously going to be fishing by shore, so any recommendations on where to fish in this lake? I've never been there, so I wouldn't know where to start. I'm not good at reading the natural habitats yet. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated guys. I have no problem going there and fishing till my arms fall off if it means I'll be catching a big one. Thanks
People are pretty hush hush when it comes to dispensing specific information about Coyote. You'll get a lot of vague information like fish the lake, etc, etc. You have to pay your dues, so to speak. It's like a badge of honor. I would assume that you are kind of limited to getting to popular spots fishing from shore. I've only fished there a handful of times, but if it were me I would start from the ramp and one day make your way left another make your way right. Learn those areas and then you can apply it to other similar areas on the lake. You may get more information from regulars.

Oh, and as far as size, it is several times smaller than Anderson.
oh I c. No problem. I'll put in work, and I'll get back to you guys, however, I really appreciate the help! Thanks guys
If I may, I would recommend going to Calero. Only because shore access is nice and easy there, and not to mention, there are some pretty nice sized bass in there. Regardless of where you go right now, the bite is going to be a little awkward. If you walk the bank from the 1st dam to the 2nd dam at Calero and throw nothing but a crankbait I'd bet you would get into something. Also, a shaky head on your lightweight setup will also likely produce something there as well.

And for the record, the Fall bite is supposed to be pretty darn good... So I assume that once our weather patterns get a little more consistent then the bass will know it's time to stock up for the winter.

Also, you may want to head out to Anderson this weekend while Coyote Bait and Tackle hosts their tournament out there. I'm sure you'd be able to learn a thing or two just by listening to some of the peeps out there.

You'll get one soon for sure.

Good Luck.
well, I've heard that you can't keep and eat the fish from Calero since it's got too much Mercury in the water. Is this true??? If I catch my first Bass, I want to eat it with an ice cold 12 pack. I only want to put in work in a spot where I can keep my first Largemouth and have a great BBQ. Know what I mean folks? Other than that, I'll probably be heading out to Coyote around 9am tomorrow.
Dude, we catch and release. At least most of us. You aint gonna get too much help if your keepin the fish (8-|
Chaozu wrote:
Dude, we catch and release. At least most of us. You aint gonna get too much help if your keepin the fish (8-|

DITTO THAT....C@R OTHER WISE GO FISH FOR TROUT OR STRIPER'S OR PAN FISH..
got it. I didn't know sorry guys. I'm just excited about catching one.
Always C&R Bass PLEASE!!!!!
BASSLYN wrote:
well, I've heard that you can't keep and eat the fish from Calero since it's got too much Mercury in the water. Is this true??? If I catch my first Bass, I want to eat it with an ice cold 12 pack. I only want to put in work in a spot where I can keep my first Largemouth and have a great BBQ. Know what I mean folks? Other than that, I'll probably be heading out to Coyote around 9am tomorrow.

Hello Basslyn,

Welcome to the boards. Feel free to do what you wish with your catch. It is a free world but be sure that it is of legal size. Don't keep the big ones(3 lbs plus), they do not taste good and younger fish always taste better.

Although, here at SJB, we practice Catch & Release. This way, we can keep the population of largemouth bass as large as possible. It is a common practice that bass fisherman follow as an established respect for the species. Of course, if one is gill hooked or swallows a hook, you would expect the fish to pass after release so it may feel better to keep those and feed your family. Plus, the fish in these waters are not as fresh as you would like them to be. Not too clean. What I mean is that you may want to eat fresh fish, like freshly planted trout or fresh ocean fish. Taste's a lot better. 8-) Stick to drinking only the 12 pack as your means to celebrate. lol

Good luck fishing and remember, it is a lot cooler if you let a fish go after catching it.

Marone
I definitely will. I went out and got some Yamamoto Senko's and some other stuff. I'm going to try Coyote in the morning. Thanks guys
THANKS BASSLYN..........AND THANK'S MARONE FOR HELPING AND EXPLANING...... [8:)
Marone wrote:
BASSLYN wrote:
Of course, if one swallows a hook,
Marone

I bring a pair of wire cutters and cut the hook out!!!
Oh no! Don't eat the fish in the local lakes. They have mercury contamination. You don't want your nads falling off at some point. [green] Or you kids developing birth defects.