Anybody wanna do some float tubing at Quarry lakes this week

I'm thinking about heading down there thursday morning with my float tube. I've never really been float tubing before and I've been meaning to catch some bigger trout.
Haven't had much luck out of there lately (shore only though). Thrown everything I could, live bait, powerbait, Panthers, Kastmasters. Tossed the bait deep and even floated some powerbait and some flies. 3 outings, almost 18 hours of fishing (open till noon) and no luck :p I know they're there but they seem very hesitant to bite.

Hope your luck is much better than mine.
Ah maybe I'll catch some of the newbie fish theyre about to plant this week.
Good luck, there are some biggins in there. The one bite i did get (hit while reeling in my powerbait!?!) was a beast, snapped my 6lb leader. Think he got tangled in the weeds but as soon as it jumped, snap! I always saw a bunch jumping about a 100 yards from the shore around the beach/doc area.

Good luck!
Any luck Earner? Thinking about heading out there tomorrow morning with my son.
Yeah had 4 bites. 2 connections. A 2lber and a 1.5lber. Decent sized fish. I lost the 2lber when I tried attaching him to my makeshift stringer that I created using fishing line. Big fail. But I learned my lesson and kept the 1.5lber that I caught. Baked Trout+Garlic Bread+Mexican Rice. He was dinner.

It was really fun being out there in my float tube. Talk about 360 degree fishing. When ever I'd see a fish jump or break surface around me I'd toss my kastmaster in that direction and it's almost a sure bite. I'm pretty sure theyre schooling. Most of the jumps I saw were about 100 feet from shore. Fishing was good from about 8AM(time I got there) til 1PM when the fish stopped breaking surface and people stopped getting bites. Lessons learned: Bring a sunhat and sunscreen next time.

People on shore seemed to be doing well too. Using powerbait. Fish were being caught by fisherman's row and by that bench area near the beach.

The trouts here are BIG!!! But they put up little to no fight. I mean the dinky 1lbers that the DFG plants put up a better fight than these guys. Maybe the growth steroids(if the private hatcheries use them) are making them less aggressive
I don't know about that. These put up a pretty good fight. My Son and I went out this morning, 7 pounder and 3 and a half pounder. Used his bass rod with a 1/4 oz. panther martin. (lamiglas 6.6 med. heavy baitcast rod and Curado 201E with 12lb test)
Chili...man nice fish, I was about to go out too with my float tube, had everything all set up, then when i woke up was not feeling well at all...

Great catch...

I want to float tube here bad, and I know that this place is on fire right now
great catch. been meaning to give this place a try.
Took the kids out last Saturday, landed 2 (a solid 3 and a 2 1/2 lber) and lost one to a bad knot :p

May head back out this Saturday morning if the wife lets us :)

Funny story about the big one. Daughter said she wanted to reel her pole, it was time to check bait anyways so I pick up rod, check it to make sure no snags/fish hand it to her then go walk over to my pole. After a few seconds she starts saying "I have a big fish, I'm going to catch him" and I just laugh until I see her pole bend down to the ground. Run over help her land it and sure enough a solid 3 lber.

Odd thing was the smaller fish had a full tail and fought ALOT harder. It also had more of a clear, browish color and almost no pink on the side. Don't know if its a different variety or what.
Beautiful fish!! Congratulations to you both. The fishing memories that you are making with your kids will last a lifetime. lol
Since we're on the topic...Here are a couple fish I caught on a buddy's boat this april outta Quarry.
The 1st smallmouth was caught on a spinnerbait right at dawn and the second was caught deep cranking 15ft down and the trout hit a 1/2 ounce quad blade spinnerbait. Went just over 5lbs. Go figure, I thought I had a giant bass, none the less great fight!
nice smallie!

i always heard they were speckled around the local waters but hadn't seen one yet. that one looks like it put up a good fight.
thank ya! the first small mouth was super long while the second was short and had a huge tail. Interesting fish, those were my one and only encounter. Ill stick to the largies, just sumthing about them [green]
derycksan wrote:

Funny story about the big one. Daughter said she wanted to reel her pole, it was time to check bait anyways so I pick up rod, check it to make sure no snags/fish hand it to her then go walk over to my pole. After a few seconds she starts saying "I have a big fish, I'm going to catch him" and I just laugh until I see her pole bend down to the ground. Run over help her land it and sure enough a solid 3 lber.

Hahaha thats so cute! You shouldve let her try to bring him in.