Awesome Looking Swimbait For Next Lingcod Season

Check this freakin thing out!

Huge! 10" long, 2"wide, almost 1" wide head and large paddle tail. Feels like it weighs about a pound.

Can't wait to put it to use on some lings next season!

Might turn out to be new ling candy...?

Will need a couple more for sure.

fnf
Looks yummy!
My entries.... [green]
Very cool!

Can't wait!!!
Fnf. Looks like a ling killa. If you don't mind, who makes it and where did you get it. Always looking to add to my arsenal. My usual source for ling lures (large swimbaits)' is no longer making em.
That almost looks like one of the giant yum money minnows
albycor wrote:
Fnf. Looks like a ling killa. If you don't mind, who makes it and where did you get it. Always looking to add to my arsenal. My usual source for ling lures (large swimbaits)' is no longer making em.

Fishtrapp?
what size hooks you guys use on those big swimbaits?

i've only tried the big hammers. last time i was down in socal, i hit up the sports authority there to pick some up, 25% off. socal stores have big salt water selection compared to up here.
FNF...looks good. Those look almost like the Berkley hollow belly swimbaits, but I don't think they make them that long.

Houla, those are good looking swimbaits...mega size too! Are those the kalin's swimbaits or custom made??

I am big hammer all the way! [green]
esf - yeah, not much freshwater action down there. i'd be in heaven in socal next to the beaches, tho. only two fish i'd miss would be the striper and sturgeon.

i think the last time i bought a large lure i used a 5oz jig head with like an 8/0 hook.

won - it was too colorful to pass up! haha

i know which actually work, but wanted to give this one a shot for the heck of it.

we'll see what it can do!
albycor wrote:

got it off bogbaits.com
IBangBangU wrote:

Houla, those are good looking swimbaits...mega size too! Are those the kalin's swimbaits or custom made??

I am big hammer all the way! [green]

Don't know what they are truthfully. Got em' from the clearance section of a site that sells mostly east coast striper stuff. Did the "halloween" color scheme on the bigger one with a sharpie and a "spike it" pen. ;)
I wish BigHammer's 9inch "Sledgehammer" retained the fatter shape of the smaller baits. It's so skinny.
EastSideFisher wrote:
what size hooks you guys use on those big swimbaits?

Haven't had a chance to try them since I picked them up right before the season closed. I did just recently pick up some 6,8,and 10 oz. shad head jigs from a dude I met who pours his own. Look to be about a 10/0. Before that, I had a really hard time finding them that big for some reason.
That being said, I'm thinking I may still need to run a stinger hook on that 12incher.
i think with the size of the bait itself a 5oz or maybe a 6oz 8/0 hook would be ok.

i have a new way of rigging them that may be the "trick"!

pretty pumped to try!

will share when we're on the water 8-)
F33rNoFish wrote:

pretty pumped to try!

will share when we're on the water 8-)

See you May 15th! ;) ...(that is when the season opens right?)
not sure man. was thinking june 1st, but will need to check.

the earlier the better!
Central Management Area

Ocean waters between 37°11' N. latitude (Pigeon Point) and 34°27' N. latitude (Point Conception)
Includes part of San Mateo County, all of Santa Cruz, Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties, and parts of Santa Barbara County

View a printer-friendly version of this table Adobe Reader required

Note: Regulations in this table may change during the year. Before engaging in ocean sportfishing for groundfish and associated species, please review one of the resources listed in Footnote 1 to receive the most up-to-date regulations. Some marine protected areas restrict or prohibit sport fishing. Check the MPA website for more information.

Species Time Period1,2,3 Depth Limit1,2 Daily Bag Limit1 Min. Size Limit1,4,5
RCG Complex1
(including all species of Rockfishes, Cabezon and Greenlings, Sections 1.91 and 28.55, 28.28, and 28.29)

Boat-based Anglers2:
Open: May 1-Dec 31
Closed: Jan 1-Apr 30

:) May 1st! :)
Coolness!

3 months!!!
Yep its May 1st for Pigeon Point to Point Conception. North of Pigeon Point has different dates so always check according to where you'll be fishing.

As for the jigheads, 7/0-8/0 should be plenty big of a hook, but I'd definitely go with a stinger hook when using large swimbaits (9"+). I used to use the large sledge hammers and they worked ok with treble hook stingers, but without stingers I'd end up with a lot of missed bites and missing tails on the swimbaits. I personally don't think its necessary to go this route since big lings will still smash small swimbaits. [green]
guess i'll add a stinger. but maybe a single hook rather than treble. we'll see.
IBangBangU wrote:
I personally don't think its necessary to go this route since big lings will still smash small swimbaits. [green]

A 13lb. LMB will hit a 4in. dropshot bait too, but there's a reason Ken Huddleston is in business...[green]