Awesome Looking Swimbait For Next Lingcod Season

True but largemouth are a bit different than lings when choosing its meal. It is said that the larger bass prefer a single fat meal vs chasing down bunch of small ones, which I see why it makes sense to consistently throw big swimbaits when you want that big bass.

Looking forward to seeing some more fatty lings from ya this year Neil with those swimbaits hanging from their lips!
IBangBangU wrote:
True but largemouth are a bit different than lings when choosing its meal. It is said that the larger bass prefer a single fat meal vs chasing down bunch of small ones, which I see why it makes sense to consistently throw big swimbaits when you want that big bass.

Looking forward to seeing some more fatty lings from ya this year Neil with those swimbaits hanging from their lips!

I actually haven't fished the big baits yet, but like Daniel said, I'm just curious to see what'll hit it. But the way I see it, all predators are the same. They go for the biggest reward as long as there is no risk to them(sometimes even if there is a risk to them). One thing I love about lings is that they aren't shy, so there is no reason even a little guy wouldn't hit a big bait.
If that fails, the dude who makes the big jig heads also pours smaller swimbaits. Some with the round tails that I prefer. Said he'll do custom colors for me too!
Hope to spend a few days on the water with ya' this season Won. You have to show us around HMB too!
In all honesty I think 7" is an all around good size. Why?

Cuz I'd still like to use them for winter striper! Although, the ocean fish prefer browns or the like colors where freshwater like white/pearl baits.

And I've seen plenty of vids of lings "tagging" along on the back of a pre-caught medium sized rockfish measuring an easy 10".

First time I went out with Capt Steve...he caught a small rockfish and used it for bait until he was rewarded with a taker ling! So I know they aren't shy.

I really liked the colors of the bait I got. Catches/caught MY attention but from experience I know that it's usually natural colored baits that work.

Only one way to find out if it'll work. }:(
It's just my opinion but the larger baits keep them pesky rock fish off your line.
well not that i mind the rock fish! fish tacos, ceviche, etc!

mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!
houla wrote:
I actually haven't fished the big baits yet, but like Daniel said, I'm just curious to see what'll hit it. But the way I see it, all predators are the same. They go for the biggest reward as long as there is no risk to them(sometimes even if there is a risk to them). One thing I love about lings is that they aren't shy, so there is no reason even a little guy wouldn't hit a big bait.
If that fails, the dude who makes the big jig heads also pours smaller swimbaits. Some with the round tails that I prefer. Said he'll do custom colors for me too!
Hope to spend a few days on the water with ya' this season Won. You have to show us around HMB too!

Hope to fish with ya again too this season. Its always a fun time fishing with you and Capt Steve. Maybe we can squeeze in a crab + fish combo at HMB once season opens up?

Btw, those swimbaits look sweeeet!! Especially that purple one! And that one above it, I have a similar one and it has been my cabbie slayer color.
Got these two in today.

Big Hammers with a square tail (round wasn't available).

9"

They're really soft tho.

We'll see how they do.
I think big hammers only come with square tails. They are soft but really durable still, they will take a lot of beating from lings.

Is that the toast color? Check out halloween, senorita, and christmas tree. Those are money too!

Under-lings need not apply... [green]
Lol. Those look sweet! 12"?
A mere 10 inches... but THICK! lol
Picked up some clever "small" bait tricks from the guy I picked up those other swimmers from that I'll try when/if I get tired of missing strikes ;) . Really looking forward to this next season!
Holy smokes!!! I think Houla thinks he's fishing in Alaska haha

Won - yeah that's toast. Looked for Halloween but couldn't find in the larger size.

Looking for other obscure ones here n there.

Gonna try to take a trip to Fisherman's warehouse soon too.
What do you guys think of using stinger hooks for swimbaits?

i think i'm gonna give it a go this season.
I think its better to have them when using larger swimbaits. What I would consider large is maybe 9"+. You may notice more short strikes and tails ripped off your swimbaits without a stinger.

A downside are snags. If you snag with a treble stinger, it can be difficult to get it free.
yeah i can imagine. the last time i went out with capt. steve i brought a cod jig. dropped to the bottom, got one full jig and on the next drop snagged! and popped off!

so yes, i imagine trebles are trouble. been looking at some yt vids where they place stingers on the top side of the bait rather than the bottom. i think, to me, that makes more sense anyway.

we'll see what happens.
Yea, I always pegged the stinger on top. What most people do is use braid and tie the stinger hook to the bend of the jig hook or eye loop, then bury one hook towards the tail end.