B.A.S.S. Elite series kicks off! Good Luck to Chris Zaldain!

For most of us we all know who Chris "Honey Badger" Zaldain is. He has gone from Bass n Tubes, FLW, Stren Series to B.A.S.S. Elite Series Pro. Last year he was determined to set out for the B.A.S.S. Central Opens and qualify for the Elite Series. Not only did he qualify, he also took the 2011 Angler of The Year title. He is a young determined angler from the very town we live in, San Jose. This year I was privileged to sign Chris with Skinny Bear Bass Jigs as a pro staffer for the 2012 year.

About 3 weeks ago, Chris packed up his life in San Jose and loaded it into his truck. He called me and told me "I just packed my whole life up" I headed over to his house to see if he needed any help. I can definetly tell you he packed up everything. Sitting in his back seat of his truck, he had two Powerpoles, Humminbird graphs, about 28 Powell Rods and tackle up the wazoo. He had everything except his boat which he picked up in Texas and had wrapped and rigged. As he set off to Florida, he stopped at Lake Fork and hooked his first fish in his newly wrapped Skeeter FX20 powered by Yamaha 250 VMax SHO. That fish tipped the scales at just over 7#. Talk about good juju here.

This guy will be kicking it off on the St. Johns River in just a couple days. We all know the St Johns river pumps out some heavy weights. You guys can tune in and support him on bassmaster.com.

Good Luck to Chris Zaldain for the 2012 Elite Series where he will be taking on sticks like KVD, Skeet Reese, Mike Iaconelli, Edwin Evers, Ott DeFoe, Chris & Bobby Lane and many others.

Check him out at
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.zaldain.com
http://www.bassmaster.com/news/honey-badger-zaldain
good luck zaldain! It was good to know you before you get famous!
Someone should tell the Elites that this guy is good! Always knew he would make it to the big show , what a determined dude!...
It's all a media game of who you know. Who has a boat. and the reason why you fish.
Who cares if you knew the guy. he pimped himself into the 'big leagues'.
I have a much more 'Zen' type of approach to fishing. I could care less how many fish I catch. I enjoy each one thoroughly be it 8 pounds or 2 inches long.
Same old forums.
Jigster wrote:
It's all a media game of who you know. Who has a boat. and the reason why you fish.
Who cares if you knew the guy. he pimped himself into the 'big leagues'.
I have a much more 'Zen' type of approach to fishing. I could care less how many fish I catch. I enjoy each one thoroughly be it 8 pounds or 2 inches long.
Same old forums.

No he didnt pimp himself into the big league. he made it there because is a darn good fisherman. He is determined and anybody who has ever fished with him will realize instantly how good he is. You can take your zen type approach and do just fine. But others really do enjoy the sportiness of tournaments and want to treat it as any other sport out there. Again you say its who you know, but its not. Its how good of a fisherman you are. Zaldain started off in a float tube not a 21ft ranger. You have to give him credit for working his way up, and not having everything given to him.
Jigster wrote:
It's all a media game of who you know. Who has a boat. and the reason why you fish.
Who cares if you knew the guy. he pimped himself into the 'big leagues'.
I have a much more 'Zen' type of approach to fishing. I could care less how many fish I catch. I enjoy each one thoroughly be it 8 pounds or 2 inches long.
Same old forums.


This sounds really negative. Chris never sold anyone out. People found him, and he didn't have to pimp himself out. Chris didn't grow up with alot of money. I only know this because I played hockey with him since we were really young. He actually bought a float tube/pontoon, then he won his first bass boat. He fished out of it for many years. Now he is onboard with Skeeter. Skeeter gave him the boat because "yes, he is that bad ass."

Some people fish for zen, however you aren't understanding that this is how a kid makes a living...weather you work at McDonalds, a baitshop, it should not be knocked, everyone has to make a living somehow.

Jigster, your comments are not needed here. More often than not, you are posting some sort of negative comment. Please refrain and allow this to be a positive forum.
TheGrayElephant wrote:
Jigster wrote:
It's all a media game of who you know. Who has a boat. and the reason why you fish.
Who cares if you knew the guy. he pimped himself into the 'big leagues'.
I have a much more 'Zen' type of approach to fishing. I could care less how many fish I catch. I enjoy each one thoroughly be it 8 pounds or 2 inches long.
Same old forums.


This sounds really negative. Chris never sold anyone out. People found him, and he didn't have to pimp himself out. Chris didn't grow up with alot of money. I only know this because I played hockey with him since we were really young. He actually bought a float tube/pontoon, then he won his first bass boat. He fished out of it for many years. Now he is onboard with Skeeter. Skeeter gave him the boat because "yes, he is that bad ass."

Some people fish for zen, however you aren't understanding that this is how a kid makes a living...weather you work at McDonalds, a baitshop, it should not be knocked, everyone has to make a living somehow.

Jigster, your comments are not needed here. More often than not, you are posting some sort of negative comment. Please refrain and allow this to be a positive forum.

+1. All i ever hear is negative comments from jigster. He thinks all fishing has to be the way he fishes.
ill be rooting for zaldain. rookie of the year.. wooo. good luck out there.represent for the southbay. someone has to do it cause we all know jigster isnt with 2" bass. lol :D
bayareabassin wrote:
ill be rooting for zaldain. rookie of the year.. wooo. good luck out there.represent for the southbay. someone has to do it cause we all know jigster isnt with 2" bass. lol :D



+1 lol, and htats some positive comedy.
Hey jig dude if you aint got something nice to say. Well you you know the rest,,,,,,,,,,,,GO CHRIS Z!!!!!!!!
He doesnt need media , they will see He is the BASSMASTER!
Jigster wrote:
It's all a media game of who you know. Who has a boat. and the reason why you fish.
Who cares if you knew the guy. he pimped himself into the 'big leagues'.
I have a much more 'Zen' type of approach to fishing. I could care less how many fish I catch. I enjoy each one thoroughly be it 8 pounds or 2 inches long.
Same old forums.

Take it easy he is just a rookie on the elite series,Btw go Chris!
Man! You have no idea what you are talking about! Why do you even say anything?
bassakwards wrote:
Man! You have no idea what you are talking about! Why do you even say anything?


lol...who is the directed toward?
Jigster, if you are so zenned, why do you even care about what others do...


And oh Yeah, good Luck Z man
TheGrayElephant wrote:
bassakwards wrote:
Man! You have no idea what you are talking about! Why do you even say anything?


lol...who is the directed toward?


The ol Negativ-ster!
Good luck Mr. Zaldain...I'll be watching for you to represent the west coast.
Good Luck Chris! San Jose REPRESENT!!!!! Awesome!

Let's track his progress on here, yes?
Marce wrote:
Good Luck Chris! San Jose REPRESENT!!!!! Awesome!

Let's track his progress on here, yes?

Sounds good!
Thinking I saw Bassmasters on @ 5 am on ESPN2 Sunday? Is there a website to watch live coverage?
Bassmaster.com has a cool thing called Bass Track i think and its an online streaming of only certain anglers. It's pretty cool to watch those guys go all day.
bassakwards wrote:
Bassmaster.com has a cool thing called Bass Track i think and its an online streaming of only certain anglers. It's pretty cool to watch those guys go all day.


He is right I remember watching a few of anglers online live as well....