Bait Fisherman and bed fisherman

went out today with a buddy to anderson for the after church easter bite, I would consider myself a dedicated bass fisherman for my age, I fish any time im not working. Even though I caught a good amount of bass today, Im dissapointed in all these bait fisherman and bed fishermen showing up and either keeping fish they catch or sitting at a spot trying to take a fish off a bed while its trying to spawn. Today I saw at least 6 guys with stringers with limits on them at anderson. Yesterday at calero, I saw mass amounts of boats sitting in the backs of coves trying to fish beds. I dunno, I guess it pisses me off because my dad raised me to catch a release and not to fish for bass on beds(theres always a bass somewhere else). I know there alot of new to bass fishing people on this board so I was hoping to let all you guys know my thoughts and point of view on these subjects.
I've never been a fan of bait fishing unless you're fishing for either a food fish (yellowtail, albacore, etc) or a once in a lifetime trophy fish (marlin, swordfish, etc). I think lure fishing is in line with "fair chase" hunting - you're trying to outwit the fish with an artificial lure, not natural food. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but being able to get a fish to strike when using an artificial is a rush, along with reeling it in.

Bed fishing, I'm kind of new to this and while I never keep freshwater fish, does bed fishing destroy the nest? If you catch a bed fish and let it go will it not go back to the nest it was at and will the eggs in the nest just die? And how do you tell a bed fish from a fish just cruising in the shallows? I have seen fish in the shallows either in pairs or a fish that seems to hover in a specific area (like it's a male guarding a nest) and don't sight fish for them since I think sight fishing is kind of cheap too.

Bait fisherman who keep the fish can all get mercury poisoning as far as I care.
here is a another point of view .
bed fish can only tolerate so much , male or female . If people keep pulling the same fish off the same bed , particularly the female , they will move off the bed and either absorb the eggs , or lay them at a different time (not condusive to hatching due to water temp and or water fluctuation) .
Bed fishing is a bad idea , nobody wants to say it because it would be bad for tournaments and the $'s associatted , sponsors etc... One thing is for sure ----not all bass caught off the bed survive .
I have been fishing for bass for over 35 years , personally I chose NOT to bed fish . For the one you see on a bed , there are 50 others you can't see , so just fish for those instead.
In other parts of the country , (Lake of the Woods - borders Canada and Minnesota ) on the US side it's Ok to bed fish for smallies , on the Canadian side , it's illegal---who is protecting the fish better? It's known at the Lake of the Woods , bigger and better fish come from the Canadian side , related to bed fishing limitations ??
As for the meateaters ----get a clue , it's not an umlimited resource , go catch some carp and eat them ----leave the bass to the sport guys .
Tight lines to the C and R guys ,
Robb
Robb, I was wondering about the effect of bed fishing. Thanks for the info. It makes sense. I tried bed fishing a couple of times in the past. When I saw the poor fish kept coming back after my messing with them, the image of birds abandoning the nests after human interference came to my mind. I never bed fished after that. It just didn't feel right. (Go Canada about the law.)
Same here. Bait fishermen camping at beds disgust me. I've become pretty careful when it comes to fishing spawning bass. Although dragging lipless cranks across beds have worked well for me in the past, I stopped doing it because a couple of times I ended up with some eggs on the bait. All I want is to enjoy fighting a fish for a few seconds and it is not worth ruining that poor bass' chance at raising fry for the future.
Well, never put all this thought into it, thanks. I now question fishing bedding bass. I dislike hurting any animals really unless I MUST to live.
If you catch and release and you're not fishing a tourney where you pull a fish off a bed and take it to the other side of the lake to weigh in, it's really not doing much harm to the fish. If you release it right after it's caught, it will go right back to the bed.
Tin Can ,
you are partially correct . In tourney's , removing a bed fish and taking it to a weigh in and letting it go to some random spot miles away is ludicrous , the chance that the bass will return to "her bed" is slim at best . Further more , if she doesn't get on another bed quickly , she probably won't have a succesful spawn . Multilpy 100 boats X 2 fisherman X 5 fish and you come up with 1000 bass removed from beds ??? Does that sound like good fishery management ? Not a chance . Not to mention a tournament happens on some lakes every weekend during the spawn and you get the total impact. As for guys releasing them immediately after taking her from the bed?The fish has a reaction to being hooked , fighting (for it's life ) and possibly having that happen mutiple times while trying to spawn? Bed fishing is stupid . Have you ever released a bass on a good spot and all of a sudden the bite dies ?? It's a scientific fact that a bass releases a chemical after being caught and released and when it swims back to the "school" the other bass pick up the scent and react to the warning from the one/s just released and the bite dies. Same thing happens to a bed fish , eventually the bass has to give up it's shallow (and dangerous) move into shallow water to stay alive .
Bed fishing is without a doubt the dumbest thing a bass fisherman does , not saying catching a bass isn't fun , it's just irresponsible to mess with spawners.
tight lines ,
Robb
Well I rarely bed fish and don't fish tournaments so it's a non issue for me.
If anyone is against bed fishing, just put your rods away until june or so, if you are fishing in the spring you are going to catch bedding fish. Just because you didn't sight fish doesn't mean you're not catching them off beds.
Someone posted the other day, Calero bed fish everywhere... Now I beat your kicking yourself for posted it.. There are meat eaters crawling all over the shores looking for a meal or five.

East Coast has it right catch and release "immediately" after catching any fish between April and May.. No tournaments dragging them for hours in the live well and dumping them off miles from their eggs or fry.

I am not a fan at all and stay away from doing it.. No skill involved.. Area is already over populated, drop the parents off in the morning pick them up coming home from work.. Buckets of dead breeders...

California needs to do something quick or will lose everything.. They already want to take our guns and hunting, fishing they do not care about. Kids are now drawn to sit in the house and not enjoy the outdoors.. If they do not get exposure to it now they will not fight for it later..

I guess it is human nature to destroy the world, our species is bad for this planet..

Set'Em Good
set em ,
sounds like you might have had a bad day at work ? but actually , I agree with you .
look at LA , sales tax went up to 10% , yes thats right , 10 friggin percent.
Kids now days are glued to smart phones , TV and laziness. maybe someday they will realize how much they are actually missing out on.
California has only one thing going for it , weather . Other than that , NOTHING.
Here is my lastest pet peev , Mercury news reported on a 62 year old Alameda County Administator retiring , her salary was $420,000yr. For a friggin administrator ---are you kiddin me !!!! Guess what her retirement is ---yep---- $420,000 year . They estimated the payout to this POOR lady by the time she dies will in excess $9Million. Guess who made up the rules for this ladies retirement , yep - other govt. employees.
People , wake the phuk up or your have 20% sales tax so a-holes like this lady can live like kings/queens. total BS.
robb
1Old man wrote:
set em ,
sounds like you might have had a bad day at work ? but actually , I agree with you .
look at LA , sales tax went up to 10% , yes thats right , 10 friggin percent.
Kids now days are glued to smart phones , TV and laziness. maybe someday they will realize how much they are actually missing out on.
California has only one thing going for it , weather . Other than that , NOTHING.
Here is my lastest pet peev , Mercury news reported on a 62 year old Alameda County Administator retiring , her salary was $420,000yr. For a friggin administrator ---are you kiddin me !!!! Guess what her retirement is ---yep---- $420,000 year . They estimated the payout to this POOR lady by the time she dies will in excess $9Million. Guess who made up the rules for this ladies retirement , yep - other govt. employees.
People , wake the phuk up or your have 20% sales tax so a-holes like this lady can live like kings/queens. total BS.
robb

This is definately total BS how much she gets.

There are a lot more BS's around here. Yet I am still here because unfortunately this area is still the easiest place to find a job for my line of work. Plus I just don't want to move my kid while she is in school. Not that I think the school is 'that' good here. A friend who moved to Texas told me about their school, and it sounded much better over there.