bait vs lure

Hello,

I'm new to bass fishing (just started to fish this year) and I want to ask for everyone's opinion on live bait vs. lure.

I've been doing a lot of reading and almost every website swears that live bait always beat lure anytime.

If you are agree to this, can you tell me:
1. What kind of live bait do you use? nightcrawler? minnow? shinner?
2. where do you buy them?
3. how do you rig them?

P.S: I've been using plastic worm so far this year... my favorite is... you can guess it from my screen name.

Thanks in advance,

Best

Watermelon.senko
Well, my opinion is if your are using live bait, it ain't bass fishing.

Most Bass Anglers use lures because live bait isn't permitted in tournaments.
I think you would do well with night crawlers to start. Nothing wrong with fishing live bait and occasionally I do too. It's a good way to learn. You are right about live bait being high on a bass's diet. Live bait has it's own fishing method too.
I'd pick up some night crawler worms from local shop or coyote bait and tackle and give them a try. If you want help for ways to rig the live crawler I can help with that.
Im a newb here as well so far all my fish that i have caught( only 3 worth notice) have been using senkos or other types of soft bait worms
Thank you for all the feedback guys!! greatly appreciated.
I have to agree with Peacheater, although when I take my 8yr. old son fishing I get him some night crawlers, so I also think they are good for beginner bass fishing, My self I no longer use live bait. I prefer soft plastics, but have started to use spinner baits, crank baits, and jerk baits, I would recommend trying a robo worm rigged drop shot style. This set up has been very productive for me at catching quality fish at local ponds and lakes. Good luck
i agree with peacheater 100 percent..livebait fishing isnt really bas fishing i consider it cheating lol.. but the reason why bass fshing is such a big sport is the challenge of being able to go out find the fish, find what lure to throw depending on conditions like clear water and some wind throw a ripbait.. if you catch a fish and find that his crusher plates are red that means theyre feeding on crawfish. so throw a jig.. finding whether fish are relating to secondary points, wood, offshore humps, or etc things like that you have to put all together and find a pattern for that day....there lots of things that make basss fishing fun and challenging. bait fishing is okay but all that is is just sitting out there waiting for a fish to come.. where is the fun in that? not trying to sound mean or anything.. but lure fishing is the way to go.
Agreeing with everybody and my 2 cents being bass fishing is a go out and get the fish, go find the fish, not waiting for the fish to find you. Baitfishing is cool if you got freinds that have no clue, or your planning on drinking more than catching haha. It's easy to do, can be alot of fun though. Some of the most exciting fishing i did was live jumbo shiners in Florida, watching the float swimming around leisurely until it see's a bass. The little minnows work good for crappie around here, which are good eating.
People seem to assume catching fish on bait is easy. Maybe thats true for smaller fish, but its bogus to say bait gives you any advantage if chasing bigger fish. The start of big bass fishing in SoCal was with crawdads using old school flashers and paper graphs. Those trophy hunters had fishing for BIG bass with live bait to a science, and its a technique that requires an amazing amount of patience. Drop shotting looks like cheating compared to chasing big fish with light line and craws in deep water. Just because you have live bait, doesn't mean the fish come to you. You'll still have to pattern them to where thy are feeding, and locate their preferred habitat for the conditions. The world record bass was caught on live bait, and the man who did is a well-recognized trophy hunter who uses both bait and lures. Its all personal really, I don't like to bait fishing because I enjoy the puzzle. I like to think I have more in my bag of tricks than a live crawler or craw, that for some reason the fish is eating a jig better than a tube, and that I need to discover why. But if a guy or gal wants to chase bass with live bait, kudos to them. Maybe they don't get the same sense of pleasure out of throwing plastics all day or hucking blades all day. As long as they are respectful to the fishery in regards to being responsible about what they keep and stay within the legal limits, they are fine by me.
i believe when you fish with live bait, like a night crawler, you run more of a risk of having the fish swallow the hook, which can fataly injure a fish. id stick with the lures and plastics, its a lot more fun than just sitting around and waiting.
Quote:
i believe when you fish with live bait, like a night crawler, you run more of a risk of having the fish swallow the hook

Thats a legitimate concern. Sometimes fish swallow your lure, but not as often as they do with bait. Most people don't realize that instead of trying to get the hook back on deep caught fish, its better to just cut the line. That hook will dissolve in a matter of weeks.
I prefer lure fishing over bait. For trout i prefer fly and twist a bubble, castmaster, superduper over powerbait or salmon egg fishing. For bass I prefer jig, crankbait, and worm over any live bait. I compare bait fishing vs lure fishing to duck hunting vs dove / pheasant hunting. In one form of fishing/hunting you sit and wait. In the other you find/flush the game. One is much more active and involved. Active is good. Inactive is bad. My opinion on this.
You could also say that unlimited funds for a kid to go on guide trips and buy whatever he wants to fish with cheating Nick. The guy is just starting out, give him a break. I could say more but I'm holding back lol.
Jigster wrote:
You could also say that unlimited funds for a kid to go on guide trips and buy whatever he wants to fish with cheating Nick. The guy is just starting out, give him a break. I could say more but I'm holding back lol.

what are you talking about bro just cuz i go on guide trips dosent mean im rich or have unlimited funds.. i work dude everyday of the week and most of that money goes toward fishing and helping my parents out..