Calero 3/9

Took my housemate fishing for the first time in his life at Calero today. Walked from the parking lot to the dam and back from 1-6 and fished each point and cove. I got a few strikes on a double fluke rig in a cove, but they were just batting at the baits i think, as I couldn't get a solid hook set on them. My housemate though was able to catch his first fish ever! Pretty awesome feeling! Not a bass, but it was a fish! Good maybe 2 lb crappie. Caught him on a texas rigged roboworm. But was an awesome day!

The lake was pretty low and surprisingly clear, Didnt make it down to the south end, but saw boats out there. I will be back for more. Might try almaden tomorrow morning.:)

Attachment:
IMG_2692.jpg
Nice crappie!
First picture of a crappie I've seen from the local reservoirs around here!
Nice, I have never caught a crappie...
Calero has lots of Crappies. I caught them while fishing for Bass with Crankbaits last Summer. Always caught them to the left of the parking lot all the way down.

Swiss
Nice crappie , uknown fisher
FishStalkerDave wrote:
Nice, I have never caught a crappie...


I have never caught a crappie either! I've never seen one in a SCC lake! But right after he caught that, I threw on his exact setup and was trying for fish all around that same cove. Nothing. That crappie was the only fish all day to the two fo us.
By the way, did you see all those Miatas in the parking lot? Was there some kind of Miata owners' meet or something?
blckshirt98 wrote:
By the way, did you see all those Miatas in the parking lot? Was there some kind of Miata owners' meet or something?


At Calero? Nope. Didnt recall any miatas!
Lexington has a few monster Crappie in it. A few months ago I caught 6 bass up to 3lbs on a crankbait and frog at lexington, and my buddy was catching em too on shallow cranks. He ended up catching a 3.2lb crappie on the crankbait, it was a monster, bigger than any of the bass we were catching. I think the record crappie is somewhere around 4.5lbs or something for california.
That's impressive! No pics?(not to bring up a sore subject lol )
I love crappie fishing. It can be red hot or ice cold. I've caught em' at both Calero and Stevens Creek. Never anything of size though. The populations seem to fluctuate dramatically since when I caught them, I caught a ton of them. This was a few years ago, and I can't seem to land a single one nowdays. Maybe it's the bucketeers(another sore subject...)
If you want awesome Crappie fishing, day or night, me and my buddies hike into Henry Coe state park. Pretty much the best fishing is in the summer, June/July, a lot of small bass. Last time I went I kept track and caught 25 bass a day, and if you time it right, the Crappie action is non stop as well and the crappie get HUGE. It is a good 3.5 or so hours hike to get there, so you have to camp out and make it a weekend, but it is some of the best fishing if you can find the right spots, and nobody around for days.
That's a slab! From Lex, at night? or is that Coe?
Henry Coe sounds so cool to me but it presents two problems. 1) For some reason, they don't allow dogs (8-| , and camping without my dog would be weird. 2) The last couple a' years I gave up on trying to be "in shape" and while I've enjoyed all the delicious food and beverages, from what I've read about Coe, the hike would kick my a$$. [red]
houla wrote:
That's a slab! From Lex, at night? or is that Coe?
Henry Coe sounds so cool to me but it presents two problems. 1) For some reason, they don't allow dogs (8-| , and camping without my dog would be weird. 2) The last couple a' years I gave up on trying to be "in shape" and while I've enjoyed all the delicious food and beverages, from what I've read about Coe, the hike would kick my a$$. [red]



You can do it... CAN'T BE that hard. I'd spot you.. haha
FishStalkerDave wrote:
houla wrote:
That's a slab! From Lex, at night? or is that Coe?
Henry Coe sounds so cool to me but it presents two problems. 1) For some reason, they don't allow dogs (8-| , and camping without my dog would be weird. 2) The last couple a' years I gave up on trying to be "in shape" and while I've enjoyed all the delicious food and beverages, from what I've read about Coe, the hike would kick my a$$. [red]



You can do it... CAN'T BE that hard. I'd spot you.. haha

If I hang a handicapped tag off my KTM, can I ride in? [green]
houla wrote:
FishStalkerDave wrote:
houla wrote:
That's a slab! From Lex, at night? or is that Coe?
Henry Coe sounds so cool to me but it presents two problems. 1) For some reason, they don't allow dogs (8-| , and camping without my dog would be weird. 2) The last couple a' years I gave up on trying to be "in shape" and while I've enjoyed all the delicious food and beverages, from what I've read about Coe, the hike would kick my a$$. [red]



You can do it... CAN'T BE that hard. I'd spot you.. haha

If I hang a handicapped tag off my KTM, can I ride in? [green]



I don't see why not..
FishStalkerDave wrote:


I don't see why not..


Why not? Because this is California. We're special. We don't allow dogs to go hiking/camping in the middle of nowhere. We have special catalytic converters for our cars, and we don't have bags at our supermarkets.
Catching bluegills and bass at the pond in Henro Coe pond.. good ol times! Used to go there all the time when I was younger. Lots of wild turkey in that park too.

Houla - just ride your dog if you get tired.. I'm sure she woudn't mind LOL

You can also go there via mountain bike.
Yea bike-packing is the most fun. The best views and you can fly down those hills so fast you start tearing at the eyes. I'm sure you can bring a dog in, I have never seen any rangers or anything out there. The crappie picture is Henry Coe, me and my buddies caught more than 20 that were all that size and bigger. Epic times there.