Calero

Anyone been there recently? How's the boat traffic been lately?
not many boats out there....the bite is slow.. the lake is turning over. If you get em...they are typically good ones.
This is the lake I usually fish, haven't been going lately, As TGE stated, the lake is currently in the process of changing over, the bite should pick up soon. Boat traffic is not bad, even though its the only SJ lake thats gonna be open this winter.
MaxwellBass wrote:
This is the lake I usually fish, haven't been going lately, As TGE stated, the lake is currently in the process of changing over, the bite should pick up soon. Boat traffic is not bad, even though its the only SJ lake thats gonna be open this winter.

You mean only lake open to boats, or open in general?
blckshirt98 wrote:
MaxwellBass wrote:

You mean only lake open to boats, or open in general?

The other lakes are open but with limited access.

http://www.sanjosebass.com/forums/coyote-and-anderson-update-5531.html
Fish are starting to scatter.. Couple weeks ago I had a good day "Trash Fish'in" them.. Four different baits at many depths, bigger fish were choking down top water. This Saturday it was slow, could only get them at 20+ ft.. Can't wait until the water cools completely and they get stacked up at 25-40ft, this is when it get fun!!!
Hey all thanks for the updates. Can't wait to get out there!
JCAB,
That crappie bite is on however, I think we caught five while we were fishing for bass.. Don't forget the "hotdog"..
set em"
would those be 4" wacky on a DS?
colder water crankin deep??
regards,
Robb
Set'em Good wrote:
JCAB,
That crappie bite is on however, I think we caught five while we were fishing for bass.. Don't forget the "hotdog"..

Are you talking about actual hotdog you can by from groceries store or soft bait called 'hotdog' ( I believe there was one...)
Does Calero have a lot of shore accessibility? I have been meaning to go there but have always backed out due to not knowing where to park, or even if it is shore fishing friendly.
clutch3184 wrote:
Does Calero have a lot of shore accessibility? I have been meaning to go there but have always backed out due to not knowing where to park, or even if it is shore fishing friendly.

Calero is great for shore fishing. Park entrance has a giant paved lot/boat ramp, along with a dirt side lot with picnic tables and port-a-johns. You can walk around the entire reservoir in half a day (did this once, won't be doing that again and don't recommend it). You park right near the water, some people start by the boat launch and work their way around the shoreline, but most seem to walk to the right where the two dams are.

There are lots of high weeds/grasses so wear hiking shoes and pants or you'll get foxtails and crud all in your shoes/socks. Don't think there's any poison oak down by the water and I haven't gotten any ticks on me either but I might just be getting lucky.
shoreline can be good , but as previously said , lots of tall weeds limiting were you can fish .
Not so sure the time of the year , but ticks can be a big time issue . Long pants and spray your pants with a bug spray just to be sure .
fish are scattered this time of year , outside edges of weeds are always a good bet , and/or fish plastics as deep as possible .
tight lines ,
Robb
Thanks guys for the quick responses ans good tips. I may give it a try this Saturday.
Chris, I think I'm heading out to Calero on Sunday maybe. If you wanna join
Sure! I will shoot you a PM.
could have given u some tips for when i was fishing it over the summer did pretty good but no idea how to fish that place in cold months lol, havent done much winter time bass fishing usually duck hunting lol
Hit Calero today.. It was a bit tough came up with 2 keepers but nothing worth writing home about. I did get a good laugh as I was launching asked a guy how the bite was and he told me to find a new lake. I guess it was a lot harder for him.