Capitlola 12-15

Hey guys,
Gonna be renting a boat from capitola this weekend. Hope to get this last trip in before the years end. Gonna be targeting rock fish and lings. Hopefully I can also hook up some shark and what ever else that will take us for a ride!
This might be my last ocean trip this year but I'm going to try to squeeze another in on the 29th if weather permits.
Found some new promising spots the last time I went out (11-03-12).
We ended up catching limits of cod for 3 and 1 ling.
Not a bad day at all!
If you guys are planning on renting a boat saturday looks real good.
I'll report back once I have something to report.
Tight lines,

GS
Okay well me and my friend are in but it'd be cool fi we can get a 4th person to go.

We're both skinny short guys so we can fit on one row easily.

I just got back from a boat rental trip out of Santa Cruz. Same company. We caught 5 Humbolt Squid. They're all OVER the place. Also we caught our rockfish limits.
Good luck out there!
Here's a stupid question, is there a map or list of GPS coordinates available for the Capitola "hot spots"?
I've never been out there and wouldn't know where to start.
Also, has your screen name always been spelled like that? I always thought it was GhostSlayer, not GhostSalyer Have I been reading it wrong this whole time?
Looking forward to the report.
Good luck this weekend GS. Hope you slay some big fish.

houla wrote:
Here's a stupid question, is there a map or list of GPS coordinates available for the Capitola "hot spots"?
I've never been out there and wouldn't know where to start.

Not a stupid question at all Neil. They have a handout map that marks some of the reefs in the area along with coordinates.
What if you're not renting from them? Is there a good map available showing the reefs and structure on our coast?
Even if you're not renting, you can just go inside the shop and ask for a copy. They don't seem to mind.
Houla,
I mis-spelled the screen name initally and didn't realize it untill later. Tried to change it to GhostSlayer but couldn't figure out how to do it. So I just left it as is? lol
Like bang bang said they do provide a map when you rent.
It gives GPS coordinates for general spots like surfers reef, mile reef, sponge bob, SC3 buoy etc. I think I scanned a copy of the map but its at home.
PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you if I can find it.
I love fishing capitola. It never seems to fail me. The last 5 times i've been out we've been checked by DFG. All was good but they seem to be out more the last year.
This last time after they checked us they told us there was a couple that had not caught anything. We ended putting them on the fish as were were on our way out. They were grateful and happy! Love seeing the smiles on peoples faces when they start hooking up.

Ender,
Already got some friends and fam going with me but If you do decide to go I'm sure we'll see you out there.
Congrats on a great catch in santa cruz! Were you intentionally fishing for the humbolt squid?

BangBang,
Thanks! I hope we slay some big ones too! I'm going to take the gopro so hopefully I'll have some good footage!
Tight lines,

GS
Your screen name is like a bad tattoo. Every once in a while some jerk is gonna ask you what happened. [green]

PM incoming!
houla wrote:
Your screen name is like a bad tattoo. Every once in a while some jerk is gonna ask you what happened. [green]

PM incoming!

lol. Its my bad for not checking my spelling initially. Your actually the first person to ask about it. lol
GhostSalyer wrote:
houla wrote:

PM incoming!

lol. Its my bad for not checking my spelling initially. Your actually the first person to ask about it. lol

Haha...I just assumed you messed up when registering.

Btw, I sent you a PM with my email...you think I can get a copy of that scanned map as well? I had a hard copy but don't know where it went....lol.
It still looked good for saturday yesterday....not looking so good today.
Looks like 10 ft swells past 12 pm on saturday.
Hopefully that changes. I don't want to have to cancel!
Just looked again...
It now looks good! I hope it stays that way!
Saturday: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly sunny. W swell 3 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Saturday Night: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSE around 6 kt in the evening. A chance of rain. WNW swell 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Looks like you're good for now. With the weather being so weird lately, I would just check again tomorrow evening before heading out.

Go and get em GS.
Thanks Won,
I told the guys well make a decision friday night and check once more before leaving....
I can't wait to get out there! One of these days we'll have to get out there on the yaks!
Sounds like there's a lot of bait out there lately and lots of variety being caught. You should have a great outing this weekend. Also, looks like some WSB are still around, maybe you'll get lucky and catch one of these elusive beasts.
I'm excited. Conditions are still looking good!
Hope to have a great report for you guys tomorrow. Gonna take the gopro and shot some video. Hopefully I'll have something worthy to show you guys!
I'll report back tomorrow.
Tight lines fellas!

GS
Just finished settleing in from the trip.
Conditions were a little choppy but managable. Started the day out pretty good. My dad starting hooking up cod almost immediatly. We were gettting doubles of some pretty nice sized fish.
Moved around quite a bit since the drift was faster then it has been on previous trips. Fished various spots almost all our fish coming from one place. My buddy managed to hook up ling which was the biggest fish of the day.
we ended the day with 17 cod and 1 ling. My buddy took home the ling and 3 cod and my dad and I took home the rest of the cod. Were gonna fry up hear shortly.
Almost forgot to add that It was damn COLD! My dad ened up getting sea sick and barfing quite a few times...but he managed to catch about 9 cod before we took him back to land. My buddy and I ended up going for a bit longer for a few more cod.
All and all a good day. Tireing, but a good day.
Here's a pic of the cod and the ling...
Tight lines fellas,

GS

Attachment:
DSC04954.JPG
Nice! Do you think Dad's "chumming" had anything to do with your success? ;) Sounds like he's a trooper.
No squid?
lol...thats what I kept telling my dad. "The reason you caught all those fish were because you were chumming for them lol . He hung in there. From 7-11. I kept offering to take him back to the wharf but he didn't want too. Until finally he told me...Can you take me in?

No squid...Just rock fish and 1 ling.
Looks like a nice trip! Your Dad's the man! (Sucked it up & kept fishn'!)

I was at the Monterey harbor Saturday morning pulling a buddies boat, It looked clear and nice when we first arrived, got real cold & cloudy real quick.