Capitola Pier Sadine Fishing

One of my buddies is looking to do some sardine fishing this Sunday. I'm not much for sardine but maybe I'll get lucky in some perch.

We'll see.

Tight lines!

fnf
F33rNoFish wrote:
One of my buddies is looking to do some sardine fishing this Sunday. I'm not much for sardine but maybe I'll get lucky in some perch.

We'll see.

Tight lines!

fnf

How do you catch sardines? Net?, sabikis?
I don't eat much fish, but I always thought those fried sardines that you see on the Mediterranean food/travel shows look like they would wash down nicely with a few beers.
Yeah I guess you could use a cast net by we normally use sabiki.

Well, now that you mention fried fish n beer I may need to keep a few! Haha
I would check regulations for using cast nets for sardines! Sabikis might be the way to go.
blckshirt98 wrote:
I would check regulations for using cast nets for sardines! Sabikis might be the way to go.

+1 Definitely check regs before using cast nets. I believe it is not legal in certain areas.

Let us know how you do out there FNF. Sardines make great bait, I wouldn't mind catching some and curing them for this upcoming RF and halibut season.
Yeah I like em for cut bait too.

Although I like mackerel better since it holds to hook much better.

I'll post up for sure.

Anyone interested feel free to swing by!
I plan on using them whole so it should be ok. Never tried using cut pieces of sardine but most cut baitfish don't stay on the hook too well without miracle thread so I don't even bother.

Good luck, hope you guys catch a lot.
My girlfriend and I were out at the santa cruz pier the other day but we got skunked.... Better luck to you!
RyanJoshua wrote:
My girlfriend and I were out at the santa cruz pier the other day but we got skunked.... Better luck to you!

thx!

yeah i was out in SC last sunday morning and got the lightest two hits ever. i only fished for an hour from like 8-9a but there were a lot of ppl out there.

capitola is a better fishery for me anyhow. i've always done better out there.

fnf
How'd you do?
welp...

started the day on the rocks. my iphone tide app said yesterday would be high tide at 9a so i figured i'd check out the rocks at first arrival. stupid app was wrong and it was outgoing tide! that's the second time that happens (been reliable every other time).

no bites and lots of weeds so i got back in the truck to find a decently close parking spot for the pier.

got settled and was probably the 2nd other person fishing that early. looked great and was getting hits pretty regularly.

in the end i caught two of these guys. one was decent sized, but i let it go for good mojo (no suck luck):

and one pretty nice sized red/rock crab in the net (also let go).

i could definitely see the sardine rolling through but they weren't biting at all.

not much action from others fishing either. pretty much the same across the board.

other than enjoying the scenery and having some cold brews it was an ok day.

my other buddies asked me to go with them to Rio Vista with them, but i had already made plans to go to capitola. i should've gone to Rio... my two buddies flaked so i fished capitola by myself and my other buddies ended up hooking up with about 4 nice sized stripes!

oh well, there's always next time.

fnf
Hey at least you caught SOMETHING haha! I hate getting skunked... Thanks for the report/pics man.