Carp derby! Pinto Lake

Guys
Pinto lake is planning a carp derby (dates TBA) They have a alge problem & the over population of carp is making it worse. I will post the dates when I get them.
Thanks
Will there be prizes? I would to attend this event if time permits. Never really caught giant carps before. Should be fun!
There is talk of prizes, not very big ones I'd think. I'll post updates here as I get them.
This sounds very cool. I'm definitely interested.
i thought carp ate algae?
F33rNoFish wrote:

I think they tend to eat a lot of stuff off the bottom, including eggs of other fish as well.

Heck, they even eat corn and doughballs right?
IBangBangU wrote:
F33rNoFish wrote:

I think they tend to eat a lot of stuff off the bottom, including eggs of other fish as well.

Heck, they even eat corn and doughballs right?

Right but when that stuff isn't avail they eat algae. Just kinda weird that they say its because of the carp that there's so much algae.

I'm all for it, carp fight like a mutha and at times you have to finesse them so even better!

Just thought that was odd...

fnf
F33rNoFish wrote:
Right but when that stuff isn't avail they eat algae. Just kinda weird that they say its because of the carp that there's so much algae.

Ooops, I totally missed that part...my mistake.
I read the posts but seen no date time or rules or specifications
BigBearBass408 wrote:
I read the posts but seen no date time or rules or specifications

Did you read the first and third posts carefully?
Wow sry I just got excited man relax [green]
The root of the problem at Pinto is years of agriculture run off, the carp stir these sediments up in their quest for food, this algae feeds on the bottom sediments which are stirred up by the carp.

I'll give the gal a call & see whatz up with the scheduling etc.
BigBearBass408 wrote:
Wow sry I just got excited man relax [green]

Whatever... I guess we'll let it slide this time.... [green]
Spoke with the lady of the lake yesterday, the derby should be in January, I'll keep ya posted.

I took my son there yesterday for a little bass fishing. The lake is scummed out right now, there's a 3" thick layer of slime (alge) on most of the lake & my son counted about 56 dead carp floating on the surface. This should clear up in a few weeks as the temp falls & the alge dies off.
Should have scooped up the floaters and kept them in the freezer till' January. Guaranteed win. ;)
houla wrote:
Should have scooped up the floaters and kept them in the freezer till' January. Guaranteed win. ;)

No room in the freezer, to much Ling!
I'm trying to catch carp, I'd go but its really too far from san mateo.
Hi guys I'm new here. I'm just another fishaholic.
I fish Pinto Lake a lot and ill be surprised if there are any carp left alive.
I have been looking a dead carp floating around the lake for a while now.
one day i counted 32 dead carp and the guys who fish from boats say its even worse on the far end of the lake. This lake is really polluted but at least the bass are still alive.
Urbina wrote:
Hi guys I'm new here. I'm just another fishaholic.
I fish Pinto Lake a lot and ill be surprised if there are any carp left alive.
I have been looking a dead carp floating around the lake for a while now.
one day i counted 32 dead carp and the guys who fish from boats say its even worse on the far end of the lake. This lake is really polluted but at least the bass are still alive.

LOL, don't bet on it, I'm shure those scum suckers are alive & well.
biak wrote:
I'm trying to catch carp, I'd go but its really too far from san mateo.

If you like carp.. go to Stevens Creek Reservoir.. they got HUUUUUUUGE carp there.