Carp fishing?

Anyone know of any local lakes that hold good amount of catchable carp? I just want to try something different before bass season starts.

Never caught one before so want to experience an epic fight on UL gear.

Another question... what do you guys do when catching carp? Throw it back or just clunk it over the noggin and throw it back for the birds? Seems kind of mean.. I dunno.
I believe all the Santa Clara lakes have Carp. I've never fished for them though.

Pinto Lake will pay you .25 a lb. for them.
I know Calero is loaded with them, they're always jumping in the spring/summer. Chesbro and Uvas also have carp, I have an uncle that used to fish for them there.
These guys are right. There's carp in almost any body of water you fish probably around here, and elsewhere for that matter. Calero does seem to have quite a bit as blckshirt mentioned.

Corn works awesome btw. These fish are a great fight so you're gonna have a blast.

I have yet to release a carp alive so I say kill em all! in a humane manner of course. [green]
IBangBangU wrote:
These guys are right. There's carp in almost any body of water you fish probably around here, and elsewhere for that matter. Calero does seem to have quite a bit as blckshirt mentioned.

Corn works awesome btw. These fish are a great fight so you're gonna have a blast.

I have yet to release a carp alive so I say kill em all! in a humane manner of course. [green]


Hmm maybe to me it's humane but to bystanders/joggers, it's going to look like I'm a psycho with a rock clubbing a "fish" to death [8|] LOL

Maybe I should try "drowning" the carp to death? [green]

Thanks guys for the replies.
Once it warms up a bit more you'll be able to see all the carp in Chesbro in the shallows and in the creek. A lot of guys come out with those long poles catching the carp. We would walk across the flooded field and spook em all by almost stepping on them. Caught a 7lb bass right in there with em on a tree in the water, and accidentally snagged a few and had to shake em off with our crankbaits. You should check it out.
BigBassChaser wrote:
Once it warms up a bit more you'll be able to see all the carp in Chesbro in the shallows and in the creek. A lot of guys come out with those long poles catching the carp. We would walk across the flooded field and spook em all by almost stepping on them. Caught a 7lb bass right in there with em on a tree in the water, and accidentally snagged a few and had to shake em off with our crankbaits. You should check it out.


Oooh that sounds like fun! Never fished Chesbro so I would love to experience it when it gets warmer.
Thanks!
BigBassChaser wrote:
Once it warms up a bit more you'll be able to see all the carp in Chesbro in the shallows and in the creek. A lot of guys come out with those long poles catching the carp. We would walk across the flooded field and spook em all by almost stepping on them. Caught a 7lb bass right in there with em on a tree in the water, and accidentally snagged a few and had to shake em off with our crankbaits. You should check it out.


You can see them in the shallows? Has anyone tried bowfishing for them then? I've never done that but I see it on TV and that always looks like a fun way to fish, especially if you're looking to kill them anyways.

Also in regards to Calero I seem to notice the carp jumping more frequently on the east side of the lake in the shallows near the grass flats (to the far left when you drive in).
Thats exactly what me and my buddy were thinking about doing this year. Bringing a ladder out to that field and shotting from on top the ladder. I looked up the regulations on that and as long as you have a rope attached from the arrow to the bow you are good to go. It sounds like a blast. Only thing is it is only for people who are down to cook and eat the carp....
BigBassChaser wrote:
Thats exactly what me and my buddy were thinking about doing this year. Bringing a ladder out to that field and shotting from on top the ladder. I looked up the regulations on that and as long as you have a rope attached from the arrow to the bow you are good to go. It sounds like a blast. Only thing is it is only for people who are down to cook and eat the carp....


You don't have to eat them. Can't you just leave them for the birds or use them as bait for crawfish or crabs?
I watched a guy nail one with a bow at Stevens Creek. As soon as he pulled it up on shore a ranger happened to be driving by and said it was a "no-no" to shoot the bow inside the county park. He didn't ticket the guy though.
Also, I read a post on another (non-fishing) forum by an avid bow hunter saying that they have been petitioning to allow bow hunting for carp around here for years to no avail...So I don't know.
Yea the DFG regulations also said they have to allow bow shooting in the area, but Im not sure how to find out where they allow it. Youre not allowed to harm fish unless you are going to take them with you, so you def would not be allowed to toss the carp to the birds, or use as bait I believe. It would be nice to find out where they allow the shooting of bow and arrows, I mean its not like there are any signs saying no bow fishing or anything lol
I saw a handful of rather large carp in the Almaden Ponds on the west side of Almaden Expressway. I bring my carp set up whenever I go bass fishing there now, I have seen a school of 5 in the second to last pond, and usually with a bass cruise'in behind them.
There's a crapload of them in Los Gatos creek. Have yet to catch one but I've seen tons of them. Even one that looked like a beautiful koi.
Theres a mess of 20-30 that hang out by the bridge at anderson. You can see em from the road
There are quite a bit at the bridge in anderson. I've caught some everytime i've targeted them there. There always jumping and stuff. Use small hooks. I usually use small 16 treble hooks and it seems to stick real good. I tie up a carp rig and string canned corn onto it.
Cool! Thanks for all the replies guys. Can't wait to try out these places. Carp looks fun as hell to catch according to all the Youtube vids I've watched.. especially on light gear!
catch all you can , just keep em or kill em . It's better for the bass.
I snagged a carp a few years ago on a spinnerbait at Calero , dam thing was well over 25 lbs . put up a great fight on medium gear and 12 lb test.
tight lines ,
Robb
near the bridge at anderson is loaded with carp right now. you can see them everywhere. its insane how many carp i saw cruising around last week.
bassdude23 wrote:
near the bridge at anderson is loaded with carp right now. you can see them everywhere. its insane how many carp i saw cruising around last week.


I started googled "hair rig" today at work, and still don't see how a knotless knot stays on.