Casting in lakes

Sorry if this is kinda a noob question...but when I go to a reservoir and cast far and deep, say for carp or something, how can I avoid the hook constantly getting stuck somewhere, and having to cut the line?
are you positive it is not the weight getting hung up in rocks? Maybe give the rod a pop or two, to lift the rig off bottom and reel in fast so it doesn't drag on the bottom...?
Depends whats on the bottom. A rocky/brushy bottom can be a nightmare. Usually, I can pull from a few different angles and heights and find a way to pop my lure out. If your carp/cat fishing. Cast it out and don't touch it. I'd recommend a strong line (braided, fluoro 12+ lb) also. Even though they are more expensive, you don't lose as many fish and you save a bunch of line from would be break offs. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, my weight is just like a heavy pyramid, I cast that alone it never gets stuck. just dont wanna end up geting my hook caught somewhere far away and losing the weight and whatnot.
DO NOT CUT THE LINE, just point the rod tip at it and pull till it snaps. I am sick and tired of snagging 25-30 yards of line, pulling line out of my trolling motor and even my lower unit.

That stuff does a ton of damage on motors.

Pull straight and 99% you will have most of your line and you wont have to respool as often. sometimes it even comes loose. I see too many of these damn nests of line in the water. Everytime I go out and catch someones line, I pull it in until it snaps. I must have like 3-4 balls of peoiples damn line.

I'm not trying to sound like a jackass, but people that cut their lines cause they dont snap it off are jackasses as well.
TheGrayElephant wrote:
DO NOT CUT THE LINE, just point the rod tip at it and pull till it snaps. I am sick and tired of snagging 25-30 yards of line, pulling line out of my trolling motor and even my lower unit.

Pull straight and 99% you will have most of your line and you wont have to respool as often. sometimes it even comes loose. I see too many of these damn nests of line in the water. Everytime I go out and catch someones line, I pull it in until it snaps. I must have like 3-4 balls of peoiples damn line.

I'm not trying to sound like a jackass, but people that cut their lines cause they dont snap it off are jackasses as well.

Can I press the "LIKE" button on this one??
I think it's quite amusing myself. A new guy comes to forum and asks for advice only to find the true nature of people in the replies. Help the guy, don't dash him. sounds like he was taught to saltwater fish. For the poster of thread i recommend making a trip to a tackle shop like Coyote bait & tackle. Or a similar tackle shop that cares and allow them to get you set up with ideas and techniques for bass fishing.
Jigster wrote:
I think it's quite amusing myself. A new guy comes to forum and asks for advice only to find the true nature of people in the replies. Help the guy, don't dash him. sounds like he was taught to saltwater fish. For the poster of thread i recommend making a trip to a tackle shop like Coyote bait & tackle. Or a similar tackle shop that cares and allow them to get you set up with ideas and techniques for bass fishing.

Ur about to stir up a can of worms here....

My last line stated I am not trying to be a jackass....if you are not a boat owner, you will not understand the ridiculous cost that we incur by idiots cutting their lines. Just the other day I pulled up 4 lines, one which had an LV500 on it.

We are respectful of the waters, now put yourself in our shoes (boat owners), you are not paying the bill to fix broken seals in the lower unit.

Jigster, you talk like you are some sort of saint, but really your comments are more asinine that anyone elses on here. I know I am not alone here. You bashed on Chris Zaldain, for what?...because he worked hard and lived the dream? You also called Manuel Munoz, Chris Fenk, Nick Trinh, and Chris Chung, spoiled little rich kids. Get you head out of your ass...
TheGrayElephant wrote:

I agree but would like to take it one step further, don't leave your old line sitting on the bank either, Yesterday at the Coleman ponds I saw a Goose who's leg was fowled (Pun intended!) by old fishing line, I spent a half hour trying to get close enough to untangle him but could not. If I'd had a sweat shirt I could have done it but didn't think my T-shirt would have been enough to restrain him.
I see garbage at every lake & pond I fish around here, and pick it up most of the time, garbage like old hook packages, old bait containers etc, frankly it pisses me off, if you are to lazy to pack your trash out don't come at all.
tie your line to a rubber band, and attach the weight to the rubber band; when it snags and you pull, the line will only come off of the rubber band and weight. works for me
iaconelli wrote:
tie your line to a rubber band, and attach the weight to the rubber band; when it snags and you pull, the line will only come off of the rubber band and weight. works for me

That's a good idea! You can also use a smaller lb test line for the weight if no rubber band is avaliable.
TheGrayElephant wrote:
Jigster wrote:

Ur about to stir up a can of worms here....

My last line stated I am not trying to be a jackass....if you are not a boat owner, you will not understand the ridiculous cost that we incur by idiots cutting their lines. Just the other day I pulled up 4 lines, one which had an LV500 on it.

We are respectful of the waters, now put yourself in our shoes (boat owners), you are not paying the bill to fix broken seals in the lower unit.

Jigster, you talk like you are some sort of saint, but really your comments are more asinine that anyone elses on here. I know I am not alone here. You bashed on Chris Zaldain, for what?...because he worked hard and lived the dream? You also called Manuel Munoz, Chris Fenk, Nick Trinh, and Chris Chung, spoiled little rich kids. Get you head out of your ass...

Whatever man. I got a kick out of your threatening me. If you continue to i'll be more than happy to have a personal discussion with you. :)
I have no idea how I am threatening you....just stating the facts about your comments....just calm down. But yea, I'll have a discussion with you but I am afraid it might turn into a "Zen" conversation.
now boyz........
I can see you don't like me Gray and that's ok. Bad mouthing me in the forums isn't. If the people you mentioned want to tell me they don't like me that's ok too.
You see you have taken a few posts and made a mountain out of a molehill. Now to address 'opening a can of worms' . what the hell am i supposed to think with a vague comment like that?
Let me say i am not perfect and you Sure as hell aren't being you promised a boat trip and brushed me off, plus ripping on me for writing a thread way back about how to properly handle the fish caught.
I hope you treat people nicer where you work. Now you are the one 'opening a can of worms' .
After all this. Hmmm... seems you Need to talk to me and not whole forum.
I am a trained martial artist so i doubt you meant it that way.. hmm? If you are just pussy footing around trying to stir up hate for me i can understand given your limited intellect.
I refuse to and will not continue to argue. I'm not returning to this thread. Say whatever crap you want. You no longer are significant or worthy of any contact.