Catch and Release

Just a reminder to catch and release bass and remind those who don't. It kills me when I see people keeping bass especially this early in the season. Kiss your bass good bye!
Always catch Kiss Release !
Never got why some folks will favor a bass & tell you to release it but say a carp, they tell you to kill it. A fish is just a fish to me regardless of species. I enjoy being out there catching all species..Both them fish aren't natives in cali. I c&r all fish majority of the time but this year til I die, for every comment made anywhere/anyplace about releasing a bass but not all the other species & kill a trash carp, I wil keep a limit of bass especially pregnant females. I mite grind em up as folks would do a carp and use it to fertalize the grass or feed it to my dogs. because of a person trying tell me to release it like I'm doing something illegal. They aren't dfw & didnt make up the rules & regs. They're opinion is not above the laws that are made. As long as its legal, then so be it...its all good to me if the keep a fish....Fish on!

This is no stab abour ur post because I assumed you were suggesting/not demanding and didnt come across as one of those types of people. So it hasnt started but garuntee it will..
Carp have a huge negative impact on bodies of water. Carp eats vegetation which in turn depletes oxygen levels in the water, and carp aren't affected by the low oxygen either because they can live in a low oxygen environment. You end up with a decrease in water quality which affects the entire food chain, not just bass. Shad, bluegill, crappie, largemouth, smallmouth, trout, you name it. They basically slowly take over and push out other species of fish, native and non-native.

This isn't opinion, read up about carp and the negative impact they have.
Yes I am aware of the impacts of carp but your still favoring the bass. F*** a carp, love a bass? Says who? A fish is a fish no dam favorites. Carp provides food for bass & other fish too. But my discussion is mainly about bass lovers will hate/frown upon a fellow angler if they keep a legal bass. I c&r normally & never lookdd at others wrong for keeping their catch. Dont hate on a person like they are a criminal for keeping a legal fish. They have all the legal rights to and shouldn't have all the negative reponses that comes with it. Complain about the system, not the fisherman. If its legal for them to keep fish so be it. Quit trying to regulate the laws, be an marine biologist, and think they know whats good for fishing based on theyre own opinions about keeping a bass. From experience, imo, the guy who cant catch nada or not as much action compaired to the guy who is & keeping the fish, is usually the one who is the hater. I wont even bring up race cuz it will never end nor lead to a good discussion. Now fish on!
BAZINGA wrote:
Yes I am aware of the impacts of carp but your still favoring the bass. F*** a carp, love a bass? Says who? A fish is a fish no dam favorites. Carp provides food for bass & other fish too. But my discussion is mainly about bass lovers will hate/frown upon a fellow angler if they keep a legal bass. I c&r normally & never lookdd at others wrong for keeping their catch. Dont hate on a person like they are a criminal for keeping a legal fish. They have all the legal rights to and shouldn't have all the negative reponses that comes with it. Complain about the system, not the fisherman. If its legal for them to keep fish so be it. Quit trying to regulate the laws, be an marine biologist, and think they know whats good for fishing based on theyre own opinions about keeping a bass. From experience, imo, the guy who cant catch nada or not as much action compaired to the guy who is & keeping the fish, is usually the one who is the hater. I wont even bring up race cuz it will never end nor lead to a good discussion. Now fish on!

It might not be a popular opinion, but I agree with BAZINGA.

For me, I do practice CPR, I encourage others to do the same and love it when they do, but I don't hate others keeping them legally for consumption. I don't fish other species, but if I do, I'd probably release them too, its just because I do not want to kill. That's just me.
"for every comment made anywhere/anyplace about releasing a bass but not all the other species & kill a trash carp, I wil keep a limit of bass especially pregnant females."

Your mom should've swallowed you.
Uh oh! I feel another locked thread coming up! 8-) *munches on popcorn chillaxin' on the couch*
If everyone that targets bass around here kept what they caught, we would not even be having this conversation because there would be no bass. Luckily, the guys who are crafty enough to catch limits, and the big breeder fish realize this.
hybrid90 wrote:
Uh oh! I feel another locked thread coming up! 8-) *munches on popcorn chillaxin' on the couch*

Hey! Get to work!...or go fishin'. Nothing to see here.
BAZINGA wrote:
I c&r all fish majority of the time but this year til I die, for every comment made anywhere/anyplace about releasing a bass but not all the other species & kill a trash carp, I wil keep a limit of bass especially pregnant females. I mite grind em up as folks would do a carp and use it to fertalize the grass or feed it to my dogs.

You have a valid point Bazinga. Some do trip about this a little more than others, but your statement...what would be the point of keeping a limit of pregnant females? What would that ultimately prove? That you're a dick on a mission? lol

Also, remember to take out all the bones before feeding it to your dogs. [green]
Speaking of carp - this might be a good idea here at some of our local lakes.... Read this morning so the timing could not have been better.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/03/14/2556 ... xtent.html

As for catch and release - it's up to the angler but is definitely a good practice if you are into the sport FOR THE sport, not for the food. 8-)

This is and always will be an controversial topic. Which is why it's somewhat odd that the OP's first post would be on a topic such as this. Once more shit-stirring post from this guy, and any other new member after him for that matter, will immediately be deleted.

The internet comes with trolls too, and if you ignore them (along with the super-dicks) they too will go away. It takes me all of about 5 seconds to delete a user, all of his/her posts, and to prevent their email from being used again on SJB.
bazinga ,
your totally offbase .
Here is some better points so you can understand the importance of CR for bass vs. carp .
People who target bass vs carp in Calif are probably 500 to1 . Very few target carp , therefore populations grow without the DFG knowing the lake by lake populations. Bass on the other hand are the MOST targeted species in cali and probably the nation. Just because it's "legal" to keep a limit , does that say it's OK ? my answer is NO. If I believed everything our Govt. said is OK vs not OK , I would consider myself the village idiot. US Govt at all levels is screwed up , corrupt , lazy , ineffiecient and ingnorant- nuff said.
Second fact . In my 35 years of bass fishing , I have easily caught over 15 bass that would go over 10lbs and countless bass over 5lbs. I would bet over 90% of those monsters were the direct result of a "catch and release" fisherman. So if everybody keep and killed spanwing females like you mention , very few fisherman would have shot at a 10+lb bass !!!! You think that's OK ?
Not to mention that the best female bass for spawn production are the ones that go 3-6 lbs .
If you dont believe carp can overrun a lake , watch the cable show called "bottom feeders" . It's a show based in the midwest about guys that make a living catching 10's of thousands of pounds of carp by netting them . All of the lakes they do this in are ruined for "sport " fishing because the carp are so prolific they dominate the life cycle.
be more informed - real knowledge is king.
tight lines (if your a C and R guy )
Robb
Good read, Marce! Thanks for the link.
BAZINGA wrote:
I c&r all fish majority of the time but this year til I die, for every comment made anywhere/anyplace about releasing a bass but not all the other species & kill a trash carp, I wil keep a limit of bass especially pregnant females. I mite grind em up as folks would do a carp and use it to fertalize the grass or feed it to my dogs.

I took that part as a figure of speech.
I practice C&R when fishing freshwater. I've love the disdainful look bucket fisherman give you when they watch you releasing great fish. Just makes me happy. [green] Also when you see bucket fisherman, say a word to them about C&R at our local fisheries...
I wrote what I wanted to say. Moving on. Keep or Release all good with me. Going fishing this weekend for bass. Will post report/pics of kept limits as well as c&r. Fish on!
Hell yea! Make sure you go to the local lakes, wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity to load up on some mercury in your diet. You can catch and eat all the fish you want, you'd be doing all of us a favor.
IBangBangU wrote:
Hell yea! Make sure you go to the local lakes, wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity to load up on some mercury in your diet. You can catch and eat all the fish you want, you'd be doing all of us a favor.

It could be that his family has been eating bass from the lakes around here for as long as he can remember and nobody has experienced any ill effects that he knows of...
Although this little bit of information from the U.S. EPA site may explain a few things.

Methylmercury effects
For fetuses, infants, and children, the primary health effect of methylmercury is impaired neurological development. Methylmercury exposure in the womb, which can result from a mother's consumption of fish and shellfish that contain methylmercury, can adversely affect a baby's growing brain and nervous system. Impacts on cognitive thinking, memory, attention, language, and fine motor and visual spatial skills have been seen in children exposed to methylmercury in the womb. During these poisoning outbreaks some mothers with no symptoms of nervous system damage gave birth to infants with severe disabilities, it became clear that the developing nervous system of the fetus may be more vulnerable to methylmercury than is the adult nervous system.

[?] Who knew trolls ate bass. [?]
I have no problem with people keeping fish that's within their legal rights to do so, though it's good karma to have some discretion such as releasing a 10lb lunker or a pregnant female. I don't keep freshwater fish, keep saltwater fish, but will throw back pregnant surfperch or smaller (but legal) perch to let them fatten up a bit. Legal or not there should be some respect and common sense towards maintaining a healthy fishery for the long term.

What drives me crazy about bucketeers are that many seem to keep fish with no discretion. One time at Half Moon Bay I caught a baby skate not bigger than the palm of my hand, and let it go. A half hour later I saw that very same fish in someone's bucket. Skate has no size limit but there probably wasn't more than a single bite worth of food on that thing. Not too long ago I saw someone with undersized Dungeness crab in their bucket. Stuff like that drives me crazy.