Clearlake 12-15&16 2012 in the snow and rain

Just thawing out from a Clearlake trip with Won, Brad and Chris. Decided on a Clealake BCB charge! We all landed fish and froze our asses off. My poor dog is a serious trooper! I caught the guppy of the bunch! Want to know what baits? Have to come out and fish with us then... :D

Attachment:
2012-12-15_14-16-57_472.jpg

Attachment:
2012-12-15_15-00-32_919.jpg

Attachment:
2012-12-15_15-01-43_953.jpg

Attachment:
2012-12-16_13-37-24_901.jpg

Attachment:
2012-12-16_15-10-33_172.jpg
Last pictures of Clearlake bass...
Attachment:
2012-12-16_15-11-12_723.jpg

Attachment:
2012-12-16_13-36-44_105.jpg

Attachment:
2012-12-16_13-37-15_376.jpg
Bravo guys! Those are some piggies.Hardcore.
Wow.. those are ginormous! Good job guys! Did you guys keep them? If so.. how's the eatin?
Never ate LMB before so was just wondering.
Good job guys! Man, looking at this makes me not want to fish any more...I feel stupid chasing little ones.

Raggamuffin Rippin wrote:
Just thawing out from a Clearlake trip with Won, Brad and Chris. Decided on a Clealake BCB charge! We all landed fish and froze our asses off. My poor dog is a serious trooper! I caught the guppy of the bunch! Want to know what baits? Have to come out and fish with us then... :D

Is that an invitation? :)
Awesome! I hope to fish Clearlake someday. Were you all on ene boat?
Good fish fellas
hybrid90 wrote:
Wow.. those are ginormous! Good job guys! Did you guys keep them? If so.. how's the eatin?

Your kidding right? Please don't keep lmb.
AWESOME FISH!!! And I'm with JT MONEY on that, release all LMB!!! Lets keep the genetics in our lakes fellas!
They taste like rockfish. White and flaky.
jcab wrote:
Awesome! I hope to fish Clearlake someday. Were you all on ene boat?

No we were on two BCB boats. Brad had Chris on his Jaguar, and I had Won on my Cougar. Poor Chris...He's a SAVAGE! No rain gear & was wearing sweat pants. He was soaked by the time he hooked the first fish. Then it dropped snow...Imagine yourself wet, sitting in the passenger seat, single consol boat, doing 40mph in 31 degrees. [green]

Loop_Dad a fishing day is possible.

Whom ever wants to eat bass, go to chinatown or ranch 99 and buy a live one. I try NOT to keep any bass. I want them to grow and multiply...thus, making our fisheries thrive with lots of bass for future generations to enjoy and preserve! They are smaller and less plentiful than they were 10 years back...and even then I noticed the decline in average size compared to Grandpa's pictures of fish he caught with Dee T.

However...they all did see a live well for pictures! 8-)
Jtmoney wrote:
hybrid90 wrote:

Your kidding right? Please don't keep lmb.

Oh no... reason I was asking because in some of the pics, looks like they were taken on land in the parking lot so thought they kept it. I know most members on here C&R including me but now I know how those pics were taken since Ragga mentioned something about keeping them in the live well.

Again nice catches and sorry if my question seemed negative. It was honest question according to the pics. [green]
Great, Ryan, maybe when you guys are going up there in spring, let me know. If you've got an open seat, that's fantastic, if not that's okay too, I have an inflatable to fish from. My daughter and I went there for the first time in July, we didn't know what to do with all those weeds (8-| and still caught 21" and 18". I've been wanted to go back since, but I wasn't able to.
hybrid90 wrote:

Oh no... reason I was asking because in some of the pics, looks like they were taken on land in the parking lot so thought they kept it. I know most members on here C&R including me but now I know how those pics were taken since Ragga mentioned something about keeping them in the live well.

Again nice catches and sorry if my question seemed negative. It was honest question according to the pics. [green]

Are you calling us fish killers?? hahaha...jus kidding.

I've never kept a bass and never will. We just took pics at the ramp and released them there. It wasn't a negative question and you had the right to ask...but it seems to be a touchy subject on most bass forums.

This was an awesome frickin trip!! Never fished in the snow before. No wind most times and snow just falling straight down, watchin others catch fish...couldn't ask for more. And Chris was savage for sure...no rain gear, soaking wet, snowing...just straight beastin' it! lol

Thanks for another great trip Ryan.
ragga , guys
congrats of the nice fish and sharing the great story . I think all of us pictured some very cold diehard bass fisherman and totally related in some way . Best picture was of the dog . There is no way mine could have done that.
Someday I have got to try Clearlake , you would think after bass fishing the bay area for over 35 years I would find time to get up there.
Cold water cranking like last year ??
tight lines ,
Robb
more pics
6# and 5# from sunday
29.4# near rattlesnake. All fish caught on crankbaits and swimbaits. 8-20 FT water near ledges and submerged humps.
Brad ,
thanks for the update and the additional pics , those are some very nice bass .
I have a general questions on your use of crankbaits(since you seem to be so good with them)
Do you use them above - below or at the same level you see the bass?
I understand lots of guys want to bump the bottom (any/all depths) if the bass are sitting at the bottom , but if you see bass at say 15 feet , are you always cranking above them?
last question , speed , I assume faster in warmer water , slower with colder water. Start and stop retrieve in both situations ?
I ask because in 35 years of bass fishing , I basically suck with cranks so I stay away from using them , need to get better to add them to my list of confidence weapons.
Thanks ,
Robb
1Old man wrote:
Brad ,
thanks for the update and the additional pics , those are some very nice bass .
I have a general questions on your use of crankbaits(since you seem to be so good with them)
Do you use them above - below or at the same level you see the bass?
I understand lots of guys want to bump the bottom (any/all depths) if the bass are sitting at the bottom , but if you see bass at say 15 feet , are you always cranking above them?
last question , speed , I assume faster in warmer water , slower with colder water. Start and stop retrieve in both situations ?
I ask because in 35 years of bass fishing , I basically suck with cranks so I stay away from using them , need to get better to add them to my list of confidence weapons.
Thanks ,
Robb

Brad is a bass slayer on the cranks! I can't help you with the other questions, but I can tell you that we were burning them in, no stops. I suck with crankbaits so all of this was new to me as well. I thought slowing things down when it gets this cold would be the right thing to do, but it was the opposite.