Clearlake - 3/14-3/15

Well, I am back! After another long hiatus from bass fishing, a recent ACL injury grounded me for a while and got me blood thirsty for bass fishing. My long 2 weeks laid up on the couch had me dreaming about the Delta and Clearlake. As soon as I was well enough, I promised myself a trip to one of my favorite lakes, the Big C, Clearlake!

Can't say it was what I expected. Then again, it's been about 8 months since I have been on a lake and almost 2 years since I've been to Clearlake. My usual spots didn't have fish on them and we struggled for big bites. What was awesome, DINKS galore! It was fun to get on those little guys as a reminder why I love these fish. Super aggressive and hungry. I tried different patterns for larger fish, with minimal results but ended up heading back to the dinks when we got bored. Tules near docks...stacked with dinks. Throughout the first day, I managed to hook a 3 lbr on a jig near a deep dock, and almost a 5 pounder late in the day on a dropshot.
Attachment:
IMG_7333.jpg

Second day, we decided to go to the other side of the lake, Lakeport. It's been maybe 5 years since I have been on that side of the lake. Oh man! Almost overwhelming how good everything looked. A reminder why I love this lake. Started the morning off with a nice 3.5 pounder on the A-rig, and Straps missed a bite on the trash fish. We banged the west side pretty hard but man, so many boats. Too many boats. I am sure that had an effect on the bite. The cold front that came in had an effect as well. Managed to haul in another nice 3.5 pounder on the dropshot late in the day, but I couldn't get my homies on bigger fish.

I ended the trip by committing to a glide bait with no bites or followers but proud to say I COMMITTED to it. I also had chucked the Hudd for at least an hour the day before so for me, that's a successful trip. Any of those casts could have been my "Welcome back bitch" bites.

All in all, a great trip and so glad to get back on the water. TIGHT LINES!
Attachment:
IMG_7319.jpg
Fresh dude!

Don't let one trip deter you...I have a few homies putting 40+ for 5 in the boat up there. Hope your ACL recovery is speedy and smooth! Be cool to them knees!!!
FlippingStick wrote:
Fresh dude!

Don't let one trip deter you...I have a few homies putting 40+ for 5 in the boat up there. Hope your ACL recovery is speedy and smooth! Be cool to them knees!!!

Dude, already reserving a spot for another trip the 27-29th!
Nice report! Never been to Clear Lake myself, but one day I'll make my way up there. Dinks are a blast esp on ultralight gear!
Welcome back dude!

Thanks for the report and pics.