cool ponds in east san jose

i drove by this place a few times and always wondered if any fish lived in these little ponds. i tried my luck and nothing. the next day a old man caught a good size bass. after 5 trips i got one. nothing crazy big maybe a 3 pounder. this place is only about 1/4 the size as perc ponds but its a fun place to fish! its called Dr. Robert W. Gross Groundwater Recharge Ponds.
i've known these ponds as the noble ponds...i've had some luck there....one evening....at sunset on a day it was starting to rain....i got real lucky and hit 4 in like 25 minutes...i think i had a post up...i caught what must have been like 4.5 pounds but it was too dark for my cheap camera on my phone...anyway....i use to run there for lunch this past summer...hit a few small fish on most trips....if you get a chance look up the old post...good luck out there
yeah i was very shocked on how big the fish get there. some people also catch big cats there as well. im really starting to like this little place!
AH i've been through there after a hike in Alum Rock Park. Didn't look like it had any fish.

I also heard on fishsniffer that there are monster carps in those ponds.
Ender wrote:
AH i've been through there after a hike in Alum Rock Park. Didn't look like it had any fish.

I also heard on fishsniffer that there are monster carps in those ponds.

lol arent there monster carp everywhere?
i dont know for sure if there are carp in these ponds. iv been going to this place way to much for my own good lately and no sign of carps anywhere. might be because there are raptors all over the place or just cold water. ill keep a look out and let you know.
Has anyone been here lately? I got to try It out again. I only caught 1 here so far. I'm wondering Is there only that one bass In here or are there more?
These ponds are right down the street from my house... They got completely cleaned out about 1 year ago, did some restructuring and then they added the fish back.. The really big fish did not make it back but there are 4-5lbs in all these ponds. There will be future spawning and in a few years will be back up to par. When they drained it there were hug catfish, bass and even some added fish. They put back the bass and some of the cats.. Wait a couple years and there will be all sorts of fish in there..

Set'Em Good
cool thanks for leting me know. i'v been there many times ond only got 1 of all the times i went. it was about 2-3 pounds but still i was happy to see a bass in there. i also see a guy get another bass and some kids got some really big carp and i did see some cat but they we're dead. my buddy lives near here i think i will do a little night fishing tonight and have a few cold ones!
thats the place I have been talking about in the other threads man. Glad you found it. I rarely get skunked there.
I mentioned I had Caught 3 fish last friday and 2 the next day, all on those midnight special spinners.
me and my bro had great luck all last yr here always walking away with 3-5 for me and he would get 2 or three, but there were 1 lbs'rs . but this yr they have been a bit bigger (in the 1.5-3, 4lbs range) except for the one 6lbs he caught here last yr..
All I catch them on is spinners here. across the street ( going west) behind the middle school is a small pond also. It is behnd the track the have there. ive caught 1.5lbs'rs in there also... but lots of birds and a fence to keep dogs out.there are signs that say no dogs but the ARE NOT ANY no fishing signs and ive seen people fish here also so seems to be cool too

for the ponds pictured, I fish off the two dams and have caught 3/4 of my fish there .and the small section of the 3rd small pond for the rest. that smallest section...
Prob did more than half my fishing all last yr at this place. I would got 3-4 times a week

You do get a lot of people walking their dogs here though..... and when it gets warmer they let their dogs jump the ponds and i usually dont care but when they do it by fishermen fishing it bugs me.... Have some respect lol Im not going to walk up and cast right by your Dog playing in the water, so dont throw his ball where im fishing lol
I agree with you on so many levels, some people just dont have any respect or consideration for others. Perhaps you should cast near a dog so that the owner gets the message to keep his/her dog a good distance away from fisherman.
right on! im glad to hear that there are a good amount of fish there. as for the dogs, they are everywhere at this place. i cant stand it when we fish and they think its cute to throw the ball next to us. next time im going to take it from them and toss it over the fence =D haha! yes i also fish off of the same spot. are there any bass in the bigger pond?
jayshogun wrote:
right on! im glad to hear that there are a good amount of fish there. as for the dogs, they are everywhere at this place. i cant stand it when we fish and they think its cute to throw the ball next to us. next time im going to take it from them and toss it over the fence =D haha! yes i also fish off of the same spot. are there any bass in the bigger pond?

My last two trips, when I caught the 3 on Friday and 2 on sat.those were all in the big pond tight off the bridge.. Theres some Rock formations 5-15ft out and a drop off past it a lil further out .. .
SWEET! thanks man i'm going after i get off of work tomorrow!
jayshogun wrote:

Good luck man! Ill let you borrow my spot tomorrow lol jk
Me and a few buddies are going to Calero tomorrow around 11 and we'll see how long we last hahaha. We will be on foot.
jayshogun wrote:

Good luck man! Ill let you borrow my spot tomorrow lol jk
Me and a few buddies are going to Calero tomorrow around 11 and we'll see how long we last hahaha. We will be on foot.
haha thanks! i'm going to have a bite to eat then i'm off to the ponds!
went but i got skunked, im going again right now. hope i get sumin today.
I just returned from there after fishing 2 hours till sunset. Great place even though I was skunked. I threw everything I could think of in 3 of the ponds. I saw 2 fish caught both of which were very small. I hope you all have better luck out there.
Maybe I'll try those Oakridge ones or calero next.