Crankbait?

I'm trying to diversify my bag of tricks I usually use. I hear a lot of you talking about crankbait. I've given it a try, with no results, granted, I was using a massive Mag Wart that was on sale at the tackle shop. These things go for $7-8 a pop around here, so which ones do you all fish with confidence? Lipless? What size gives the best compromise between quantity and quality catches?
The smaller Wiggle Warts are good baits. The average shallow to small deep diver crank is about 2.5", not including the diving bill. Speed Traps work well for shallow cranks. Norman Deep Little Ns are hard to go wrong for a basic crank that goes 8-10'. If you are fishing from shore, you will rarely find use for deep divers. I have cranked a deep diver (14-20' range) occasionally in certain places, but if you are fishing from shore, focus on shallow (1-4'), medium (6-10'), and small deep divers (9-12'). Get a bait in each range, and throw till you know the nuances of each. Buy basic colors, going by water clarity. The clearer the water, the better colors will be natural craw and shad patterns. In strained or muddy water, it is likely the best baits will be brighter colors like firetiger or bright red craw colors.

Some guys will tell you you need $15 cranks to catch fish. Lucky Craft and other higher priced cranks run great, but one of the things about learning how to crank is you will lose baits. With time you learn how you can avoid snags and how you can make the bait pause or deflect around an object. Its your money, but if I were you I would buy baits like Normans which run great and have good colors for $5. When you feel that you have gotten the basics down, start experimenting with the higher priced baits. I've caught lots of fish on $15-$20 hardbaits, but I've caught a ton on basic $4-$6 baits too.

Line is important. Good quality mono is hard to beat for a cranking outfit. As you learn more and get your casting with different sized cranks down, maybe you will want to experiment with flourocarbon or braid. Many guys fish mono on cranks exclusively, on the other hand I've started throwing my cranks on braid at the Delta and love it. Mono is cheap to replace when backlashes happen, which they will if you are throwing cranks enough to learn them well. Brand of your choice, just remember good handling qualities are a big help when you are making repetitive casts. And line diameter is important too. A crank may run to 10' on 10lb test, but only to 7-8' on 15lb. Fishing shallow divers in shallow heavy cover where depth isnt all that important may require heavier lines, whereas trying to work a 10' dropoff at a lake like Lexington from shore will likely require something more like 10-12lb test.

The local shops suck for tackle. Outdoor World is a rip, and even CVS raised their prices recently. Either drive to SJ for tackle, or order from TW. There aren't really any great cranking lakes in SC either. Antonellis is all brush and muck bottom, every time I've thrown a crank there I spend more time cleaning leaves off my bait than fishing. All the local ponds are more or less the same.
for a shallow crank i would go with the KVD square bill. For a lipless crank i would go with the red eye shad. and for a deep crank i would go with the bomber fat free shad.
Thanks for the detailed response dock boy! I'll definitely take all that into consideration. I bought a small little bomber with a square lip at walmart, and I'm going to order some shallow and medium divers online. Yeah antonelli pond is really brushy in some places, and those f*ing wooden submerged boxes seem to be a black hole for lures. I really should check out the Delta. I'm up in Chico right now doin some catfishing, but maybe on the way home I'll check out the Delta around dusk with some crankbaits. I'll try and only throw cranks and see what happens...
just like dockboy said, order from Tackle Warehouse. I love it! Cheap prices and fast shipping. :)
zepprocker45 wrote:
Thanks for the detailed response dock boy! I'll definitely take all that into consideration. I bought a small little bomber with a square lip at walmart, and I'm going to order some shallow and medium divers online. Yeah antonelli pond is really brushy in some places, and those f*ing wooden submerged boxes seem to be a black hole for lures. I really should check out the Delta. I'm up in Chico right now doin some catfishing, but maybe on the way home I'll check out the Delta around dusk with some crankbaits. I'll try and only throw cranks and see what happens...

check out coyote bait they have a great selection of crankbaits and a great staff that can answer your questions
Forgot to mention them too :)
Ya those boxes are leftover from the Antonellis Flower Company, which owned the field next to the pond. From what I've learned by SC natives who fish there, that place was absolutely loaded with fish until the flower company shut down and dumped all their fertilizer in the water. According to a guy who fished there as a kid, its never been the same.

If you are fishing the Delta by shore, throw a Speed Trap or some other shallow runner. Lipless will work too, but don't deflect as well off the levee rocks and submerged cover. Angle your cast so you are basically paralleling the levee. You will get bit doing that this time of year, its just a matter of covering water. Its not too hard to have 20+ fish days doing that on the Delta right now, only problem is the largest is typically under 2lbs.
I read that those boxes were for duck nest sites here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonelli_Pond. Wikipedia has never been a truly "reliable" source of information though. That sounds like a stupid thing to do! Dump fertilizer in a pond!? I Would imagine that caused some nasty algae blooms and brought the water quality down. I saw a dead 3# bass floating up the shore yesterday, I wonder if the water quality had anything to do with it.

I checked out tackle warehouse, awesome!
Im glad you like Tackle Warehouse :) .
That was in the 70s, evironmentalism was barely even around. People used to wash their used oil and antifreeze down the storm drains then, much different world then we are in. The fertilizer caused more than algae blooms. When you dump nitrogen fertilizers in watersheds, the result is fishkills. The current algae blooms and water quality issues probably have more to do with the fact that Moore Creek drains through part of town before it empties into the pond.
As mentioned, Coyote BNT is a good place for cranks, if you are in SJ. For me in SC, its at least 20 mins farther than two other stores, and none of the three will offer the prices and shipping that TW has. That said, if you want personal experience Coyote is good, much better than some other shops.
dockboy wrote:
That was in the 70s, evironmentalism was barely even around. People used to wash their used oil and antifreeze down the storm drains then, much different world then we are in. The fertilizer caused more than algae blooms. When you dump nitrogen fertilizers in watersheds, the result is fishkills. The current algae blooms and water quality issues probably have more to do with the fact that Moore Creek drains through part of town before it empties into the pond.
As mentioned, Coyote BNT is a good place for cranks, if you are in SJ. For me in SC, its at least 20 mins farther than two other stores, and none of the three will offer the prices and shipping that TW has. That said, if you want personal experience Coyote is good, much better than some other shops.

+1 [green]
not to steal anything away from CBT... but there is also Fishermans Warehouse too in San Jose
trevor van dam wrote:
Im glad you like Tackle Warehouse :) .

+1
Tackle warehouse is indeed awesome!!! (It’s my go to store) Oh & Hi’s Tackle Box. :D For KVD square bill’s check out walwart.. I bought a ton of KVD square bills from walmart from what I’ve seen they got all colors. [8:)
Ive never been to Hi's, my dads been their before. Maybe one day i will check it out.