Curious if I am setting this up right....

So this is what I've been using, and so far it has produced two bass so far this season....
Is there something I should do to what I am working with now? Just curious for you thoughts.
That's a
12lbs. Seaguar InvizX Fluorocarbon Line
Power Swivel (50lbs. rating)
4'' Senko
#2 Octopus Hook (Could be a #1.... My wife dumped my hooks into one box >:-( )
3/16th Drop-shot Bullet
Looks right to me. I don't use a swivel though.
I tried it with and without, and noticed when I don't use a swivel, my line tends to twists every once in a while, even with all the fancy gear that "prevents" line twist. Which then leads to other short time consuming issues I'd rather go without.

So, I just make sure I tie perfect knots, and use a quality swivel, as that one section could be my "weak link" on my line.
What's your take on these "Fancy" weights over any others. I read someone just uses split shot, and another guy just uses the cheaper ball and teardrop shaped ones with the brass eyes. I have been able to recover my bait and hook from a snag with the fancy once, but I don't know how cost effective it really is.. haha
I use the bass casting sinkers, they work just as well and are far cheaper than dropshot weight.
Dave, 2 things for you to try both of which have produced for me. 1) try putting that hook through the center of that senko (wacky rig) on a drop shot, way different action. 2) try using a 2/0 light wire EWG worm hook on your DS with a creature bait (baby brush hogs work great). Give these a shot next time, its all about showing them something different.
I've done the wacky rig, Should I put weights in each end of the senko? As for the creature baits, I actually just bought baby brush hogs... and brush hogs... hehehe... Ill give them a try tomorrow, maybe all this sun today will push the bass shallower, and Ill get one in the morning.
I'd go weightless on the senko itself but fish it wacky on the DS. Next time your out, toss a weightless wacky rig senko out and watch the action. You'll notice that both ends wobble on the drop. Thats the magic to the senko, the fall. Now imagine everytime you shake your rod tip with a wacky DS that same action is happening then the bait is stalling and floating at what ever length your leader is...
[8|]
Yea im with fredemac. If im gonna ds a senko, its gonna be wacky rigged. If your gonna rig it like you have through the nose definitely texas rig it for one. And two if your gonna t rig it it almost doesnt make sense to fish it on a ds as theyre not bouyant. If you want that suspending bait fish eratic look throw the roboworms on there. Ide use the green pumpkin around rocky areas as it will srill contrast against the whites of rock, and black on any kind of darker dirt bottom. Almaden lake i throw al ost exclusively black on my senkos.
Black eh? looks like I have to stop at Mel Cotton.
Dave, I'll throw my 2 cents to give you something to think about...

when I do dropshot from bank, the line below the hook is a lot longer, maybe as long as twice of yours. I want to make sure the bait is off the bottom even with angled line. No swivel for me either. I use from tiny 3" roboworm to regular size b-hog, depending on what I am trying to do.
You're better off at Coyote Bait. The whole staff is top notch and always willing to give you info on whats currently working in our local waters. 8-)
Loop_Dad wrote:

when I do dropshot from bank, the line below the hook is a lot longer, maybe as long as twice of yours. I want to make sure the bait is off the bottom even with angled line. No swivel for me either. I use from tiny 3" roboworm to regular size b-hog, depending on what I am trying to do.

Yea, I've been playing with the length from the weight to the bait, What I am gathering from here is my swivel isn't the best idea.. Maybe the line twist is all in my head... Ill have to re hook my line before I go out tomorrow.

Thanks for your guys help. I want to be a decent angler, and would love to gain as much knowledge from people that know what their doing. Muchas gracias!
FRED-E-MAC wrote:
You're better off at Coyote Bait. The whole staff is top notch and always willing to give you info on whats currently working in our local waters. 8-)

I would like to go there and check it out. My dilemma is that Mel Cotton's is literally .2342 miles from my apartment... But I will check it out soon I promise.
Loop_Dad wrote:

Does this look more like how you would do it?

I added about twice as much line between the bait and the weight, removed the swivel, and also put the senko on "Wacky" style as others have suggested.. Man I hope I get one tomorrow....
Looks like money to me. Play with the leader length though till you get bit. DS was originally developed as a vertical jigging presentation for deep water and the leader length depended upon how far off the bottom the fish were holding. We've all now taken it one step further by now working them horizontally from the shore. My dilemma with that long of a leader is that many times, unless your fishing steep shoreline, your bait will be laying on the bottom and dragging a wieght behind it. I like my DS to keep my worm up and floating in the water higher. In shallower water like Almaden, that long of a leader will have your worm on the bottom or just barely off it. I was throwing 8"-12" leader today and it was looking right. It's all preference bro but thats the logic behind it.
FRED-E-MAC wrote:
Looks like money to me. Play with the leader length though till you get bit. DS was originally developed as a vertical jigging presentation for deep water and the leader length depended upon how far off the bottom the fish were holding. We've all now taken it one step further by now working them horizontally from the shore. My dilemma with that long of a leader is that many times, unless your fishing steep shoreline, your bait will be laying on the bottom and dragging a wieght behind it. I like my DS to keep my worm up and floating in the water higher. In shallower water like Almaden, that long of a leader will have your worm on the bottom or just barely off it. I was throwing 8"-12" leader today and it was looking right. It's all preference bro but thats the logic behind it.

Absolutely. Thanks man. If I catch any, I will credit you all.. And then dance, yell "Boomshakalaka" and take a picture of it.
Keep the swivel man. Line twist sucks!
+1 for roboworms in Almaden Lake. The fish there loves it!