Custom Rod building and Rod Repair

First off, I just found out about this forum today and I figured I'd check it out. I have been building rods for over 10 years and have built everything from light flyrods to 130# stand-up tuna gear as well as everything in between. If you want a new rod to match your boat colors, your school colors, favorite sport team, or just something different I can do it. Also, if you have a rod in mind that is a little out of the ordinary in terms of handle configuration or guide set up, I can make you whatever you want. I always get asked about cost, and really I can build a rod for whatever budget you have in mind. If you are looking to spend $100 I can make it work, or if you want to spend $500, I can make sure you get your money's worth.

I also offer guide repair. Freshwater guides are $20 per guide labor (guide cost is on top of that, usually between $2-$6). Saltwater guides are $30 labor as they are usually double or triple wrapped with inlays.

Here are some examples of my work. I'm posting this from my old lady's computer so I don't have access to a ton of pics but if you want I can email you guys some of the other stuff I have done.
do you have a website because i would be interested in the futurew when i get some more mula
nicholas.trinh wrote:
do you have a website because i would be interested in the futurew when i get some more mula

I don't at the moment, but I am having one made. I will update this post when the site goes live.
cool
Where are you located? I am looking to build a custom inshore saltwater rod in the near future.
I live in west san jose (saratoga area).
Parts cost what they cost, but can you make a rough labor estimate? Thanks.
I can do a very basic build on a freshwater rod for about 65 in labor. Basic saltwater is 125. Thse are the figures I always start with and go from there with the addons (crosswrap, tigerwrap, marbling, trimbands, inlays, custom handles, etc etc). Ill be honest... that wrap on the rod in the first picture would cost 300 bucks alone as it took me almost 20hrs to do.
Also, visit http://www.mudhole.com and http://www.acidrod.com if you want to look at component costs
More pics:

Hey bro how old are you? I live in toga an went to namesake highschool.

Rods look good too...what blanks you use?
Moto-Fishin Andy wrote:
Hey bro how old are you? I live in toga an went to namesake highschool.

Rods look good too...what blanks you use?

Hey man, I'm 26 (class of 2002) and I went to Prospect.

Blank-wise, I'll use whatever the customer wants. I've built just about everything.... original Sabres (amazing rods), Harnells, original Trulines, Loomis, St croix, Sage, Winston, Scott, Rainshadow (my current favorite), Phenix, Calstar, Seeker, Lamiglas, etc etc etc.

For my personal rods I use: Bass = Rainshadow, saltwater = Calstar and Phenix, trout = Loomis.

Thanks for the compliments as well!
Too funny, ya i graduated 02 out of Saratoga High. Knew a couple people that went to Prospect.

An i've never heard of rainshadow, do they just make blanks for individual sale or do they subcontract to a larger rod manufacturer? I've always liked my IMX's the best.
Moto-Fishin Andy wrote:
Too funny, ya i graduated 02 out of Saratoga High. Knew a couple people that went to Prospect.

An i've never heard of rainshadow, do they just make blanks for individual sale or do they subcontract to a larger rod manufacturer? I've always liked my IMX's the best.

Rainshadows are made by batson enterprise, and they are blanks only. They make some of the nicest blanks I've ever dealt with for the money. You could get a better blank, but you'd be forking out close to $200 to do it and you wouldn't even be able to really notice a difference.

Go to these rod building forums and you'll see how good of a blank they are (just do a search).
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/rod-building/

They balso do a lot of donations to us builders who build rods that are taken to the VA hospitals and are given to wounded veterens who fish. Great company run by amazing people.