Custom Rod

What do you think of my first build...

7' M Fast (Mudhole "IMX Clone" blank)
Titanium Zirconia guides
Spiral wrapped
Split gripped with EVA
yah dah yah dah..... 1/3 the price of a Loomis

Not bad for my first build, I post back and tell you if the first outing pulls a fish in.
Looks good! I like the spiral guides...reminds me of my captain's salmon rod on the boat. He paid a pretty penny for it! What application are you using it for? Looks better than any rod I have! 8-)
Alright I'm back again to let you know...I am getting more envious, the more I stare at the pictures! [8|] (8-| Good looking rod Ryan! =)
I set the rod up for light finesse casting. I tried to go bare-bone to get a very light rod, but I had to throw some flash to make it look appealing. I wanted a rod that could throw 3" senkos a mile long. I dry casted the rod and it performed to exactly what I wanted. I've read about rods weighing in at 3 oz. and was shooting for that, but thats where you spend $$ for a high-tech blank.

The more I look into customs rods the more I see how much of a premium we pay on factory rods, why not make your own to how you want it. Let me know and I can hook it it for you, I'll even put a Raggamuffin decal...
That's a sick rod. How much did it cost to make it?
Roughly $80, just cause I went with SiC guides.
Got me thinking of a acid swimbait rod, that I can use for bass and on the crab boat fishing for halibut and ling cod. Might have to ask you a favor soon! 7' 1-3 oz blank? [0-]
Let me know...
that thing looks killer
Nice work, what is the purpose of spiral guides? (8-|
bassnflip wrote:
Nice work, what is the purpose of spiral guides? (8-|

yea i would like to know as well
An Acid Rod or “Spiral Wrapped Rod” is a conventional or casting rod who’s guides start out on top of the blank and then rotate around the rod leaving the final guides and tip under the blank. In a nutshell, this guide placement reduces torque allowing you to fight larger fish on lighter tackle with less fatigue. Not many even realize how hard they're squeezing their grip while fighting a "big one". That's just what a big fish does... It tries to rip the rod from your hands! The spiral wrap gives you a easier platform to work with, besides it looks different and cool.
Ryan808 wrote:
An Acid Rod or “Spiral Wrapped Rod” is a conventional or casting rod who’s guides start out on top of the blank and then rotate around the rod leaving the final guides and tip under the blank. In a nutshell, this guide placement reduces torque allowing you to fight larger fish on lighter tackle with less fatigue. Not many even realize how hard they're squeezing their grip while fighting a "big one". That's just what a big fish does... It tries to rip the rod from your hands! The spiral wrap gives you a easier platform to work with, besides it looks different and cool.

Thats a awesome explination (sp) right on cool ass rod i think i might wanna give a try to one of those , you taking orders?
Go to mudhole.com or even Rod Rack in Hayward, get the materials, add a few bucks and I'll turn a rod for you.
i will check it out , pm coming soon
Here guys...just a link to help explain the acid wrap rods.
http://www.acidrod.com/acidrods.html
Thanks for the info guys. I have never heard of or seen this type of rod but now have a better understanding of their purpose. This is another reason SJB rocks cause people share their knowledge. lol
Right on Ryan, thats where i got the idea from.

Im planning a JDM build I'll post pics soon.
When are you going to the store for materials? I wanna go! I have the time...
Nice work Ryan. Could you explain some of the techniques to make rods? Such as guide tieing and lamination of it?