Del Valle fishing

Attachment:
salmon.jpg
Attachment:
del valle.jpg
went out to del valle today and good, caught my limit of trout plus a nice salmon [green]
where's the salmon?

Del Valle doesnt have salmon :/
the picture on the top is the salmon, del valle actually does have them and kokanee as well, i thought it was a rainbow but there was a guide there that said that was like the 3rd one hes seen come out of there, very rare but they're in there. the woman and her husband that work there also clarified it.
No. The picture on top is a big rainbow trout. I can tell its a hatchery rainbow trout. Look at the tail. Its flat instead of forked like a natural wild rainbow trout. None of the salmon species have that red line and red cheek which are characteristics of spawning rainbow trout. The guide is wrong and definitely isn't a trout or salmon guide, maybe he does bass guides.

I know del valle gets its water from the delta so theres a possibility it gets salmon. I only hear of striped bass being transported to del valle.

Also if you taste the fish in the first picture itll taste the same as the other trout you cooked.
Nice day fishin thats fer sure ,!!!
Ender wrote:
where's the salmon?

Del Valle doesnt have salmon :/

http://www.norcalfishingnews.com/storie ... new?id=617

Ender wrote:
No. The picture on top is a big rainbow trout. I can tell its a hatchery rainbow trout. Look at the tail. Its flat instead of forked like a natural wild rainbow trout. None of the salmon species have that red line and red cheek which are characteristics of spawning rainbow trout.

So do you think the hatchery rainbows are spawning in Del Valle?

I don't know exactly what the fish is but congrats on a impressive stringer bassbruh!
Ender... Sorry to say, yes they do have Salmon... I think there are Kings and Chinooks. They have stocked them in the past and I think still do.. Caught them a few times out their..

However the picture does look to be a mount Lassen stocked trout. They do hold the good color and great size..

Set'Em Good
the others are mount lassen, that has the black lower jaw and tongue, at first glance i was positive it was a rainbow as well but ive being told by a few people that it is a salmon, either way it was a beauty and i had a blast [green]
Attachment:
meet-the-species-steelhead.jpg
bassbruh,
nice fish and looks like a great day .

houla ,
that attached article was crazy cool . stocking king salmon and kokanee for the past several years ! Who knew ! Thats a sizable fish in the article and those numbers are huge for what they have been putting in there . I wish the guys responsible for taking care of the local lakes would put some effort in here.

tight lines ,
Robb
Most of the trout species are incapable of spawning in lakes. They are stream spawners so if del valle has streams feeding into it which I imagine it does, then yeah those rainbows could be spawning there. I doubt the big rainbow he caught was a wild fish though.

Like I said it has a flat pudgey tail and he looks like he's been eating too well to be a wild fish. I doubt del valle is that productive in terms of trout prey availability. You can actually age that trout if you take off some scales and look at the growth rings underneath a microscope. Bet you he's about 2 years old been fed a ton of fish pellets every day.

Thanks for the article. Wow del valle had salmon pretty neat! I have to hit up that spot soon. Maybe go out on my pontoon and try the fly rod!
So if it's just a "big rainbow" what are the other fish bassbruh caught? I'll admit I don't know what the fish is but it certainly appears to be different than the other fish in the pics. And obviously everyone who saw the fish agreed at least that it was sort of a unique catch. So what are the theories surrounding that? Does Del Valle get multiple strains of stocker bows?
Ender ,
doesn't look like you read the entire article that houla provided . they are stocking king salmon
and kokanee. So --- based upon your comment on the tail being "rounded " , of which I would agree is a strong characteristic of stocked fish --- why wouldn't it be a Salmon?
I absolutely agree that it is a Salmon , coloring , markings etc.... the round tail just means it was a stocked king salmon.
I kinda jealous , i would bet some people are going to catch some big king's out delvalle , especially based on the numbers they are stocking .
I would bet the summertimne those fish are DEEP.
tight lines ,
Robb
1Old man wrote:
Ender ,
doesn't look like you read the entire article that houla provided . they are stocking king salmon
and kokanee. So --- based upon your comment on the tail being "rounded " , of which I would agree is a strong characteristic of stocked fish --- why wouldn't it be a Salmon?
I absolutely agree that it is a Salmon , coloring , markings etc.... the round tail just means it was a stocked king salmon.
I kinda jealous , i would bet some people are going to catch some big king's out delvalle , especially based on the numbers they are stocking .
I would bet the summertimne those fish are DEEP.
tight lines ,
Robb

I doubt they are ever going to get river big, there just simply wouldn't be the food supply like they would get in the ocean before going up to spawn. If I were to hook that thing on the river up here I would be easily convinced that I had hooked a steelhead before pulling it out of the water.

That is cool they are tossing salmon in del valle, but I can't imagine them ever getting bigger than 10 lbs.
theres no doubt in my mind that its stocked, it wasnt very long but he was thick, the two characteristics that gave it away that it was a salmon was the the beak mouth and black mouth and tongue. i hear their are some nice one in deep water, hope someone hooks onto one and shares the story,
a steelhead is not a salmon.
Hella nice catch! Were you fishing from the bank?
Or were ya out on a boat?
Ender wrote:
No. The picture on top is a big rainbow trout. I can tell its a hatchery rainbow trout. Look at the tail. Its flat instead of forked like a natural wild rainbow trout. None of the salmon species have that red line and red cheek which are characteristics of spawning rainbow trout. The guide is wrong and definitely isn't a trout or salmon guide, maybe he does bass guides.

I know del valle gets its water from the delta so theres a possibility it gets salmon. I only hear of striped bass being transported to del valle.

Also if you taste the fish in the first picture itll taste the same as the other trout you cooked.

Very nice catch bro! Didn't know they stocked Del Valle with salmon.

You can ignore the local fish expert giving you crap. He was so sure about his wrong info too. lol
hey rick,
i was fishing from the bank by the east beach, bite was awesome!!! :)
Nice man! Hey do you know if you can launch a boat out there still? I saw some pics an the water looked hella low...