Delta 12/9

What's up SJB! Just checking in. Been hitting the Coleman ponds pretty regularly and rarely getting skunked, even in the rain. Not a lot of keepers though.

Hit the Delta this past Sunday and did just ok. Targeting stripers with 3" and 5" swim baits, punker, and bucktails wherever we were marking fish but no luck. Might have just been sub-surface debris or rotting hyacinth. Started to head north of Franks Tract but water quickly turned to chocolate soup. Went south until the water got clearer. Fished the openings and edges of Little Mandeville and picked up seven LMB of which only 3 kept. Funny thing was that we were seeing bass busting on the surface across the way. When we went over we couldn't get any to strike on topwater lures. Repeated opening/edge pattern elsewhere with no luck.

Also hit Delta 11/25, also targeting stripes with no luck, boated 13 LMB of which only 4 or 5 would have kept. Barely.

Hopefully with the water cooling a little (~54 degrees over the weekend) the striper bite will pick up a little.

Good luck out there!
Sounds like you did better than we did. We were out there on the 8th, chocolate water everywhere. There was a tourney going on and word was that people brought in some good sacks, however they found them in clearer water.

Thanks for the report.
yeah, just read your related post. Tons of debris and vegetation everywhere. Saw a pretty big log in the middle of a wide slough that I would have missed had we been going faster. Pretty dangerous out there. And yeah, water quality really killed the bite.
That's a bummer that the fishing is tough over at the delta. Would you Mind sharing what baits your using at Colman. Might go there next weekend with a buddy.
powerbait.

Sorry for the minor threadjack.
trevor van dam wrote:
That's a bummer that the fishing is tough over at the delta. Would you Mind sharing what baits your using at Colman. Might go there next weekend with a buddy.

Most recently I've been catching them on LC110 Flashminnows and 100SPs. Sexy Chartreuse when it's overcast, MS American Shad when the sun's out. Earlier in the Fall I was also catching them on 6.25" bottom hoppers rigged with a Zappu head (my one concession to finesse fishing) as well as blue back chrome 1/2oz Rat-L-Traps. Until August/September I was catching them on Sammys and Frogs as well but topwater seems to have died down.

I like the Coleman ponds because there is a constant current which I believe keeps the fish active longer unlike lakes where the fish relate more to cover and structure. That and there's a ton of those ponds so you can actually cover a lot of water without a boat.
IBangBangU wrote:
powerbait.

Sorry for the minor threadjack.

I took a bobber and red worms out to Coleman one time but no luck. What bit on the powerbait?
I went out on Dec 7, Friday to the Delta, Franks tract mostly and yes the water looked more like a chocolate milkshake with tons of debris everywhere. Floating logs, water hyacinths , and some trees with roots attached so didn't stay out past 4:430 pm so as not to hit any of the debris. Caught 6 schoolie size stripers, all on white or silver Lucky Craft LVR-D15 lipless cranks. Threw the lunker punkers, topwater poppers and swimbaits but zero hits on these lures. I was able to see birds diving and graph baitballs with constant spaghetti swirls on the graph meaning the stripers were coming up onto the baitballs from below.
powerbait was a joke lol
bwhaler wrote:
I went out on Dec 7, Friday to the Delta, Franks tract mostly and yes the water looked more like a chocolate milkshake with tons of debris everywhere. Floating logs, water hyacinths , and some trees with roots attached so didn't stay out past 4:430 pm so as not to hit any of the debris. Caught 6 schoolie size stripers, all on white or silver Lucky Craft LVR-D15 lipless cranks. Threw the lunker punkers, topwater poppers and swimbaits but zero hits on these lures. I was able to see birds diving and graph baitballs with constant spaghetti swirls on the graph meaning the stripers were coming up onto the baitballs from below.

I threw LC LV-150 & 500 chartreuse shad patterns as well with no takers. I think I need to get better at reading the graph. Wasn't able to distinguish baitfish balls from "other". And as noted above, where I thought we were marking fish we weren't getting any bites at all.
bwhaler wrote:
I was able to see birds diving and graph baitballs with constant spaghetti swirls on the graph meaning the stripers were coming up onto the baitballs from below.

We were marking similar things on the FF with the larger fish coming up into the baitballs, but for the life of us we couldn't get a bite!
Ender wrote:
powerbait was a joke lol

lol lol lol
I was able to catch most of the stripers on the outgoing tide just on the outside of the levee breaks. I tried to slowly drag the lipless cranks and let the current carry them too. Even though the bait balls were high up in the water column, the striper movement was from below. Nothing on topwater seemed to work for me that day.
bwhaler wrote:
I was able to catch most of the stripers on the outgoing tide just on the outside of the levee breaks. I tried to slowly drag the lipless cranks and let the current carry them too. Even though the bait balls were high up in the water column, the striper movement was from below. Nothing on topwater seemed to work for me that day.

We did the same but no luck. Did the strikes occur *at* the break or outside of the break? If outside, how far out? On the incoming we were marking fish about 30' inside of the break.
Usually right after the levee break although I did get some hits further out when the bait ball moved.