Delta in cold weather

Heading out to the delta tomorrow around disco bay to try and get some action. Anyone know how the cold weather is affecting the bite other than forcing us to fish deeper?
The cold will slow down the fishes' metabolism as well which means it may be tougher to get them to eat. Good luck out there!
Sorry fearjet, don't have the tip you are looking for as I'm new to Delta. Do come back and tell us how it was. I'm thinking about going the next weekend.
got on the water in kayak at 7:30. Threw craw cranks for an hour and got a couple 1 lbers, a dinkfest basically. I saw stripers boiling so i tossed my spinnerbait in there and got two 16 inch stripers. Not a super productive day but fun nevertheless! If you're planning to head out to the delta i wouldn't let the cold weather change your plans.
skip the largies, and chase the stripers.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Rippin_Lips wrote:
jcab wrote:

Too late / cold for good largies?
Loop_Dad wrote:
Rippin_Lips wrote:
jcab wrote:

Stripers are just really good when they are on and they have been running pretty well lately. Anyone start throwing jigs with craw trailers out there yet?
D_Bones166 wrote:
Loop_Dad wrote:
Rippin_Lips wrote:
jcab wrote:

Stripers are just really good when they are on and they have been running pretty well lately. Anyone start throwing jigs with craw trailers out there yet?

For some reason, I am only interested in LMB. It looks like weather would be icky this weekend...
yeah looks like it's gonna be cold and wet.. Who knows? Loop the LMB are definitely out there right now, just not in the size or quantity like they are in the warmer weather. They're still hitting a jig with craw trailer.
Loop_Dad wrote:
For some reason, I am only interested in LMB. It looks like weather would be icky this weekend...

Just curious, have you ever fished stripers in the delta? I love LMB, but I'll take stripes over largemouth any day I can. Those fish have ATTITUDE!
fearjet, yeah I'll give a try a weekend after if the weather is nicer. I lost good chunk of time fishing this fall due to personal stuff, but I have to get there one more time before winter.

houla, you got me, never fished for stripper. I've been obsessed with LMB since ever. I just don't have any interest to any other species... But who knows I might catch a stripper by accident and change mind.
houla wrote:
Loop_Dad wrote:

Just curious, have you ever fished stripers in the delta? I love LMB, but I'll take stripes over largemouth any day I can. Those fish have ATTITUDE!

+1 to that. I went striper fishing for the first time this year and it was too much fun. I'll take a striper over LM anyday too. Also, when fishing the delta, just using regular LM bass lures will also catch the stripers so you wouldn't need to do anything different.
I thought the same way as loop actually until i found a group of boiling stripers. They kept hitting my spinnerbait cast after cast, and they fought really really hard almost harder than a LMB, now i think i'm addicted to stripers as well as LM... I was surprised that the big spinnerbait would work well but like bangbang said LM lures work fine for stripers.
Ok now, boys. You guys got me curious :) I'll be open minded the next time I go there. Fair enough?
Sounds good! Once you get striper fever, there's no cure :D
IBangBangU wrote:
Also, when fishing the delta, just using regular LM bass lures will also catch the stripers so you wouldn't need to do anything different.

True! And the best part is how eager they are to smash topwater offerings! I would stick to heavier rods/reels though. See below lol

fearjet wrote:
they fought really really hard almost harder than a LMB

I would dare to say they definitely fight harded than LMB. It's been years since I've fished the delta for stripers but the last time I did, those damn fish ruined the drag on my brand new Shimano Curado CU201! I was having to crank it all the way down in order to stop them from running back into the tule bank we were fishing. Ever since that trip, the drag would only function in the tighter settings(I have since replaced the drag washers, and all is good). :D

<sigh> I've gotta' get back out there.
This is why striper fishing is so addictive. We shot this last winter at San Luis when the water was high. We really didn't focus on filming a lot which I regret but these are just a few clips we got throwing a Lunker Punker. Hope to have some more footage soon.
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... s5QlynyM6k
For some reason your link wouldn't work for me, but I tracked your vid down. That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

That first missed strike is the kind of stuff that really gets the adrenaline pumping.
houla wrote:
IBangBangU wrote:
Also, when fishing the delta, just using regular LM bass lures will also catch the stripers so you wouldn't need to do anything different.

True! And the best part is how eager they are to smash topwater offerings! I would stick to heavier rods/reels though. See below lol

fearjet wrote:
they fought really really hard almost harder than a LMB

I would dare to say they definitely fight harded than LMB. It's been years since I've fished the delta for stripers but the last time I did, those damn fish ruined the drag on my brand new Shimano Curado CU201! I was having to crank it all the way down in order to stop them from running back into the tule bank we were fishing. Ever since that trip, the drag would only function in the tighter settings(I have since replaced the drag washers, and all is good). :D

<sigh> I've gotta' get back out there.

Hummm, stripers, delta, new ride [0-]