Easiest place to catch a striper?

I'd like to catch my first striped bass. Where should I go? I've been thinking abuot san luis reservoir. I have a float tube but would prefer to fish from land.

What about surf fishing?

Any advice would definitely be appreciated.
San Luis is a great place to start your quest. Basalt Area and/or Dinosaur Point . Cut bait (anchovies ) and pile worms . Also bring your top water , rip baits , white flukes , lipless cranks . Cast a far as possible if your from shore with all your choices .
If you go to Forebay and are going from shore , Check point 12 .
You can also use your tube and go deeper in the forebay.
Flukes , rip baits , lipless cranks.
Lots of fun if thier active.
1Old man
What 1Old man said. He is dead on. It's sort of late in the year because it can get cold out ther, but you can have a lot of fun at San Luis night fishing too. Bundle up, might be worth it. There are also some turn outs where you can park and walk down to the water.

Get your 2nd rod stamp and bring a big rod that casts far. Cast that out with some anchovies or power worms and put a bell on that sucker...grab your other rod that has a Rat-l-trap (1/2oz) and walk the shore, casting and winding, casting and winding. Wait for the bell to ring. BOOM! Show us some pics if you go.
The Delta is a great place for stripers too. Carolina rig an octopus hook with a small piece of chicken liver wrapped with magic thread and you're good to go.

I often catch stripers when targeting bass in the Delta with artificial lures. My first tournament was in the Delta and I caught 19 stripers that day! Unfortunately it was a black bass tournament so they didn't count for anything but I still had a great time.
been catching these little striped ones at the lake on a teasers. Lots of them.

What lake? San Luis?

Wow pretty weird ho that bass would chase that giant lure.
yup...San Windy... [green]
Im going to head up to San luis this Friday morning. Going to only bring lures.

Which water is biting more oneill forebay or san luis? I've never been here. If so, and I want to use an inflateable raft, do I HAVE to use the boat launch? How exactly do I get to the ramp?
If you can launch out at this point,

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=fire ... 4&t=h&z=18 (zoom out to get a better view)

which I don't know if you can do, point your boat dead north until you get outside of the weedline. Then try to follow the weedline east. I have caught tons in that area. I believe the weeds are there year round, so you may need to do some searching with a fishfinder or your lures.
Wanting to use an inflatable raft at San Luis is crazy talk.
Anyways, I've heard that they've been catching the bigger fish right now to the left of the dam at San Luis including a couple 30+ pounders recently. Also, I went Forebay too last week and was soaking anchovies at the Forebay and did pretty good. Nothing big but did miss some big hits.
Ah I'm not really focusing on the monsters right now. I would be grateful for some anything above the 1lb range.
bassdude23 wrote:
Wanting to use an inflatable raft at San Luis is crazy talk.
Anyways, I've heard that they've been catching the bigger fish right now to the left of the dam at San Luis including a couple 30+ pounders recently. Also, I went Forebay too last week and was soaking anchovies at the Forebay and did pretty good. Nothing big but did miss some big hits.

Why is it crazy talk? People are out there with floattubes and just flippers. I think oars and a little trolling motor wouldnt be THAT bad.
Maybe in the forebay, but if you want to take something non-powered out on the big lake, you better
hang out close to the bank. That place can turn into 4+ foot rollers in a blink of an eye. A couple weekends ago, i was in portuguese cove, wind about 10mph, took off to dinosaur point to leave, and out on the main lake, it was like a maytag. My stereo busted out of the dash, and every wave that i blasted was like getting a bucket of water dumped on my head... i can get very hairy... be safe.
Mkay so I'll definitely stay in the forebay and if I get skunked there I'll go to the reservoir and fish from the bank.
I'm going to bring some storm wildeye swim shads, zara puppy, rat l trap orange, and other crank baits.
Went today. Got there at 10 fished til 2. Big fat skunkkkk.

Oh well next time.