First Sturgeon Ever Caught Today!!!!!!

I did it!!!! Last day of my 2 week vacation today and got out on the water at the middle of incoming tide. Tried a few different baits but decided to try herring for the first time with some cocktail sauce on it. Sat for about an hour and just before the top of the high tide I feel a few nibbles on my line. Then the tip of my rod bends down hard and I slam it and start reeling. He went straight up and broke surface and I caught the first glimpse of those beautiful diamonds. Rushes back down and fought him for a good 30 minutes before he was tired and belly up on the side of the boat. I measure out on my paddle 60 inches and realize he's at least 5-7 inches longer than my mark. Gave him a pat on the back and released him. What a blast! I am officially hooked on sturgeon fishing. Biggest fish I've ever caught. I'm guesstimating somewhere in the 65 lb range. pretty girthy too! Best day ever.

Tight lines!

Adam
Way to go Adam, nice way to start the year. But I must ask, pics?
No pics. >:-( Phone died on the way out. Yeah I'm a bit ticked about that and I've decided that a manual throw away waterproof camera is in order for the tackle box. That's the second time its happened to me and both times on personal bests.
Congrats! I've always wanted to try sturgeon fishing, but never had the patience to soak bait and now that they charge for report cards, forget it...haha.

Nice way to start the year.
ive gone once and got skunked

it must have been crazy to see a fish that big jump out of the water. thats huge!
really sucks that you couldnt get a picture though.

good stuff!
Awesome man!

That's my son's dream.

Will probably charter a small boat/captain for his 16th birthday and see if we can get him on one!

No problem on the camera foul...just an excuse to get back out there!!!

fnf
F33rNoFish wrote:
Awesome man!

That's my son's dream.

Will probably charter a small boat/captain for his 16th birthday and see if we can get him on one!

No problem on the camera foul...just an excuse to get back out there!!!

fnf

I've been itching to get out again since Monday! Damn job getting in the way. LOL
Haha

Dang job!