fishing 3/9

Went to Almaden Lake this morning to break in some new X-mas presents. Arrived at about 8am and put in on the Winfield side right at that drainage pipe. New Super Fat Cat rides well. Unfortunately, the weather was too good, and the fish were not interested. The water temp was about 57 when I arrived and about 58 when I left at 11AM. The air temp was in the high 40s when I arrived and low 60's when I left. I spent my time exploring the southeast corner of the lake near that big island and as close as I could get to the river inlet while still floating.
I'm a fly fisherman who's planning to put in some time bass fishing this year. I was using an olive wooly bugger in size 4 and a brown wooly crawdad in size 4. No action whatsoever, but since this was my first time on this lake, I was happy to tool around and check out the terrain.
One or two other fisher folks out, with no luck had by the one I asked.
This is a nice place, however, and its convenience makes it one I plan to make a regular stop.
Right on!! I've done my fair share of fly fishing for bass too. I like to go to the back lakes @ Shadow Cliffs. I wouldn't get to much action till summer time though.

Welcome Aboard!
Thanks!! I'm glad to be here. I fished Shadow Cliffs once a few years ago(spinning, for trout), and I was curious about those back lakes. They sure looked fishy to me. Glad to know they're worth the while. Can you float in them? They looked a little treacherous.
Yes, you can float in there. You can use kick-boats too, just no oars. I fished there a ton when I was only using a float tube. Now that I use a kick-boat I don't feel like making that walk with 80lbs of gear & boat.

PM me for details.
Thanks!

Anyone with Almaden Lake experience know how the fishing gets at that creek inlet that was so shallow? Does it fill up any more than that? That place seems like spawning central if it had more water over it.
Quote:
Thanks!

Anyone with Almaden Lake experience know how the fishing gets at that creek inlet that was so shallow? Â Does it fill up any more than that? Â That place seems like spawning central if it had more water over it.

Stick with the island, but when it does fill up try buzzbaits near the creek in the summer time.
Stick with the island, but when it does fill up try buzzbaits near the creek in the summer time.[/quote]

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Been skunked 100% at this lake from the bank. Usually I'm throwing green or black 'buggers (sometimes with flash tied in) but never had even a small hit.

I did get one follower on a tiny popper/frog imitation.

I'm running WFF 6wt, 7' bass taper and then 3' of tippet to a size 6 or 8. Moving to a shooting head might work better ... haven't gone that route yet.

I hear that the bank is ALWAYS slow (for everyone) and the key is really to get out to the island, but I don't have a ride yet. Hopefully that'll change in the next month or so. :)

G'luck!

-mox
i nail them off the bank and kill em off the toon you just got to know where there hidden
The island certainly looks like the spot. I fished it lightly due to the hundreds of ticked off geese that were protesting my close proximity.
Quote:

I hear that the bank is ALWAYS slow (for everyone) and the key is really to get out to the island, but I don't have a ride yet. Hopefully that'll change in the next month or so. :)

G'luck!

-mox

I wasn't going to mention this, but I saw a great looking pontoon boat on Craig's List for $150; however, that sucker didn't last a day. Keep your eyes peeled, and best of luck. I got my SFC (Last year's model) on ebay for $269 delivered, brand new, no tax.