Going Fishing Today 03.15 - Oakridge Ponds

Hey Dudes,

I'm heading out there in about an hour, and the only entrance I know is the one that is near the apartments with the hole in the fence. I've never been there personally, but I saw it on the other thread.

This weather is too nice not to get out for a bit.... I'll post when I get back.

Marce
damn at around 4 I was thinking should go fishing today??? I should have checked the site... I think Im going to go tomorrow around 4. But I might try my spot on the east side. Penatencia. Not sure which spot yet though, im still undecided... [8:)
Marce....Update Brother. [?]
Got there shortly after 5:00 and fished until about 7:00.

I was walking along the bank and I saw a fish that looked like a 4 lber starting to head towards deeper water. I tossed my jig out there with my second rod still in my hand and to my surprise he hit it. I didn't get a really good set and I ended up losing it. It felt strong, and it certainly boosted the confidence level.

I spent most of the time walking the bank, checking depths, and getting used to that toilet bowl blue color. ;-) Thsi place is deep, I mean really deep for as small as it is. I was counting 20+ seconds before my jig hit the bottom.

Anyhow, made my way around and thought I'd toss out the wacky rigged senko for a bit and wouldn't you know a 2+ pounder took the bait. Being that I missed the first set I swung at this one like I was Barry Bonds. Nice little fight, and it was a great way to wrap up an awesome weather Tuesday.

Attachment:
IMG00062-20100315-1851.jpg

I like the place, but it will take me a little while to get used to it. It's not very often that I fish places that have absolutely no vegetation or trees. And that blue color, what the heck is that? With no vegetation, and no place for bait fish to hide, what the heck are these things eating? Thoughts? Anyone ever see any bait balls?
I'd imagine these fish are well fed. I have yet to see any that look unhealthy out of those ponds. They probably get a good amount of frogs, liz and crawdads from the creek area (10 yeards away). I wouldn't be suprized if they eat the baby birds that happen to fall into the water. Did you see all those mud nest built on the overpass!!!
sidewazzz wrote:
I'd imagine these fish are well fed. I have yet to see any that look unhealthy out of those ponds. They probably get a good amount of frogs, liz and crawdads from the creek area (10 yeards away). I wouldn't be suprized if they eat the baby birds that happen to fall into the water. Did you see all those mud nest built on the overpass!!!

lol Marce, i wish i was out there with you., the only deepest places are under the freeways itself it kind makes a little V. A staight slope down. your right it is a bit hard to get used to but you will, as for vegetation ur right..no much at all but you want to lopcate at least some small wooden branches that are around in the little. It looks like you caught ur fish in the (1st cove) which is a pretty productive place for us. Man i should have headed out, and if your wondering what they eat. Crawdads, after a few biking trips around i used to saw a large amount of crawdas and big ones. They are pretty stupid since its pretty easy to catch them..... hope to see you out there again
ya marce when me and bluegilmaniac go out we see an abundance of craws i think thats there main forage... but other than that i think the bass there are absolutley gorgeous for the conditions they live in... i have seen 1 tiny bait ball out there but that was only once.. just wait till the fall when the baitfish move to the backs of those coves... then ull probably see some. as far as other baitfish i havent seen any like bluegills or other shads..all if seen caught outta ther are sucker fish and bass.. and this place will need some getting used to but it should be a great place to fish when spawn comes around because of the softpea gravel they have there and the rocks... plus with the blue water i find it a bit easier to see their beds...
is anyone going today? with the warm weather i was thinking of going around 7ish and do a little top water fishing there......
THE BLUE HUE IS CAUSED BY CHEMICAL THAT THE WATER COMPANY PUTS IN THE WATER, IT SORT OF LOOKS LIKE MIRACLE GROW BUT IS INTENDED TO SUPRESS THE GROWTH OF VEGETATION. IT REFLECTS THE UV RAYS FROM THE SUN AND ITS SUPPOSED TO STOP WEED GROWTH. I SAW THEM ADDING THE CRAP TO THE WATER ONE DAY AND I ASKED THE GUY WHAT IT WAS AND THIS IS WHAT HE TOLD ME. ITS HARMLESS, IT DOES NOT BOTHER THE FISH AT ALL.
Yeah Crawdads are easy for them to eat cuz chris, nick and i were picking them up from the water with twig and they would try fleeing.
drewsturrrr wrote:
Yeah Crawdads are easy for them to eat cuz chris, nick and i were picking them up from the water with twig and they would try fleeing.

u mean theyy wouldnt flee