How and Where I Flip the Bird: Part 2 By FLW Angler

By Jonathan Miller

ImageWhen it comes to the bird, there is one thing that is obvious; it’s a top water bait. But, my philosophy on where and how I fish the bait do not necessarily coincide with the typical locations and tactics employed for many of the top water, hollow-bodied baits that take up space within my boat. First I will start by saying, when I think bird, I think cover, and when I think cover I think a jig. Therefore, I apply many of the of my jig tactics to my bird fishing, which I believe helps fish the bird more effectively and in areas that are not suspect to constant top water pressure.
Location IS Everything When Bass Fishing

Where to fish the bird? I recommend fishing the bird in areas you would typically pitch a jig and fish the bird like a jig. This means I focus on overhanging specific targets and make constant pitches with the bird just like a jig. I focus on overhanging shrubbery, trees, banks, docks, vegetation, etc. These areas offer a prime location to skip a top water bait with the idea that you would pitch a jig into the same area. Overhanging structure of any type creates shade, dampens light, creates structure, and gives big trophy bass an area to ambush prey.

Areas that provide shade, with a source of structure, such as a dock are also subject to big bass that will graciously devour a big fish bait such as a bird. Keying in on these areas, areas you instinctively would skip a lure of some sort are the beginning steps to figuring out the most productive way to fish the bird lure.
Getting Some Action

How to fish the bird? When fishing the bird, I like to think outside the box, relating the big bass lure to a jig, but specifically, a cold water winter jig bite. When I say this I am referring the activity of your bait, or lack thereof so to speak. In the winter you typically fish a jig slow and methodically, letting the subtle movements of the bait create a natural presence inducing a strike.

For me, fishing the bird is the same type of approach, Natural. The bird bait works best when you do not overwork the bait. The bird is meant profile a bird and “spin” so to speak like a distressed bird when twitched. Fishing the bird like a cold water jig means letting the bird sit upon impact to the water on the initial cast, settle, and let the appendages of the bird spread and creating the unique enticing profile. Over working the bait prevent the profile of the bait to correctly express its action, thus think cold water jig, think natural, think do nothing approach.
Rolling for Thunder

Skipping the bird with a roll cast and proper reel control allows for tight untouched waters to be exploited. Although I recommend the action implied on the bait to be natural, the bait can still be worked fast, like a jig. Roll cast, skip the bait, let it settle, profile expands, “twitch the bait” to create the spinning distressed action, let the wings re expand, then reel in and repeat much like flipping a jig. These are just my experiences and how I fish this tremendous top water bait with great success, experimentation is the best form of advancement.
O.K., So bass will eat birds if given the opportunity. But I don't think a lot of bass eat a lot of birds. I also assume there are certain waters, in certain places, where there are nests built above the water, and it may be a "somewhat" common occurrence for an able bodied bird to fall into the water and not be able to get out. But on what waters are birds the main forage for bass?

Ever see the TV show River Monsters? Man, I love that show! The guy goes around and investigates reports of fish attacks by freshwater fish on humans, and then tries to catch the offender...
This is from the River Monsters website.

"Fish Attack: The red-bellied pacu's diet consists mainly of insects, fruits and nuts. Their large choppers are perfect for cracking open rubber tree nuts and crushing seeds. However, the pacu started feeding on other fish in 1999, when their usual food sources became scarce. The locals in Papua New Guinea even blame these river monsters for destroying the tilapia fish population. The pacu have been known to attack humans, too. In 2001, two fishermen in two separate incidents reportedly bled to death after their genitals had been bitten off by pacu fish."

Guess what bait the dude chose to catch the Pacu...(Hint) it wasn't a replica of the Papua New Guinean's genitalia, but if you start producing Papua New Guinean genitalia lures, I demand a cut of the sales. [green]
Not sure what you're getting at, houla?

Same could be said about the number of worms or lizards or "creatures" that Bass eat throughout their lives.
Touché...
Although I do have one pond that I fish lizards at because there are egg robbing California Salamanders/Newts swimming around the same time the bass are spawning, and a lot of creature baits are more or less crawdad imitations. I meant to mention in my original post that you would probably do just as well throwing any totally bizarre offering( jutterbug, crazy crawler etc.), rather than actually trying to mimic a bird.
So do you use this lure? I what situation is this your "go to" lure?
It's not so much that I object to the idea, I just don't see myself ever digging through all the other offerings in my box to find my "bird". Plus I don't know if this guy has ever responded or participated in this forum other than spam it.
Unlike you, who was extremely helpful and instrumental in my search for a new baitcasting rod and reel.
I have a handful of birds but haven't had a whole lot of chances to use it the where the creator says it shines. If you search on YouTube you'll see that he recommends pitching the lure under brush/tules etc. In those situations I'm usually trolling by and stick to jigs, cranks and senkos.

Nick, a member here, caught a 6lber on the bird last year I believe. That fish was sitting in some weeds in 3ft of water and came up to hit the deadsticked lure.

Personally I can't stand fishing slow. I'd much rather go for the reaction bite.
Houla, I'm looking forward to seeing your ads for flippin the balls here on the board.

Adam
BTW Steve not sure why you made the reference to worms. It is common for worms to be washed into the water and fish to feed on them.
blackbag wrote:
BTW Steve not sure why you made the reference to worms. It is common for worms to be washed into the water and fish to feed on them.

I'm kinda' with Steve on this one, but I'll still send you a prototype lure when ready ;) . I don't think bass hit worms because they are targeting worms. I think it's probably more of a reaction bite because the thing looks so damn "slurpable".

And to be clear, I actually admire "the Bird Man" for following through with his idea and actually putting it into production. That is no small feat. I'm just not the biggest fan of his marketing. I mean he doesn't even chime in on any of these threads including one started by a member who sounded genuinely interested in his product.