i am looking for suggestions

hey guys it looks like i am heading out to the beach on Saturday probably the seacliff cement ship area and want to know what to use for perch. I need the full set up spinning or baitcasting? are the grubs you guys use to small for baitcasting and also what size grubs and set up. Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks guys!
When I surf fished in the past I just used a spinning setup and nothing fancy. If the perch are in close then a 7 foot rod with 10 lb test and a 1 oz weight would be fine, But if you are going for bigger fish then a 9-10 foot surf rod and heavy weigt like 4 ozs or more would be what you want. If you use bait then nothing beats sand crabs for surf perch, they will eat those things all day long. Prawns are another good bait but can get a little pricey plus sand crabs work better and they are free. Grubs I have had success with would be motor oil and red or white in 1-2 inch sizes. I like the smaller hooks for surf perch like a size 4 maybe even a 6.
You may want to try even further south towards Manresa and La Selva beaches, these areas have great fishing always and sweet waves if you surf.
Also send Glenn a PM he is the one posting the salt water reports all the time and he could tell you a lot more and what the conditions are like.
thanks kev i will try that as for the sand crabs you just hook them through the shell
I'm not one who likes to stand in one place waiting for the fish to come to me. Here's my 2 cents on perch fishing. Perch can be found feeding very close to the surf line. They are looking for the sand crabs. With that being said, most people will use a 7' rod and small spinning reel with 10lb test. I've found that the bigger fish hang out a little further out. You also will hook into an occasional striped bass in the summer months. I guarantee you will hit a striper in the summer in the area you are fishing. They will hit perch grubs!!! A very versatile all around perch/striper set up would be a salmon/steelhead rod, medium weight, 8-10' length. This will give you ability to cast further out especially when the stripers are around. Salmon/Steelhead rods are a lot lighter than Surf Rods so you can walk for miles and throw all day long without any problems. Saltwater and beach sand can be very harsh on reels. That's where I would spend the extra money is the reel. Never lay your reel on the sand. When you get home spray down your rod and reel and spray the moving parts of the reel with WD40. 10lb test of your choice will be sufficient. Rigging a simple carolina rig....1 1/2 - 2 oz. egg sinker, bead, swivel, leader and #2 hook. Kalins 2" motor oil with red flake is my go to grub but what I've been having a lot of recent success with is the Berkley Saltwater Sand Worm in motor oil with red flake. Pinch off about 2 inches at a time and just thread it on your hook. Cast out and slow retrieve back. Google search "Zen Perch Fishing" the guy has a lot of pictures of what productive water looks like.

Waders are an option but you really need to get wet to catch perch. They are fairly close to shore for the most part. Once you catch one start fan casting because you have a 50/50 chance of determining if they are moving left or right. You can be into a school and catch fish for 45 minutes straight. Keep moving until you find them. I move along at a pretty fast pace looking for fish. If I don't get bit after 5-6 cast I move on.

SAFETY NOTE!!!!! Perch fishing requires that you stand close to the waters edge. The ocean is very unforgiving and very unpredictable. You can have a set of waves that roll in and stop at your feet and for no reason have a wave surge that comes up to your thighs. If this happens dig your feet into the sand and don't try to run. As the water rushes back out it's going to pull on you with great force. If you pick your feet up you will lose our balance. Never turn your back on the water. Back away a safe distance before you turn your attention to messing with gear. Never do it at the waters edge. Look at the contour of the beach. You will see high spots and low spots. The water rushes up highest on the beach in the low areas so be careful.

Most people fish 2-3 hours before the high tide which is good. Any tide more than 6.0 is gong to be to rough to fish in. I use Saltwatertides.com to get my tide reading. The area you are fishing is a very productive stretch of beach with miles and miles of fishable waters. I live in Marina and drive up there on occasion.

Wasn't sure how much info you were looking for but have a lot of pennies to give my 2 cents worth.

Gook luck and let us know how you do. Glenn
Glenn thanks that is exactly what I am looking for and will let you guys know how i do!!! Thanks again guys
Good read there Glenn, going to hook-up with you 1 day.
Thanks Sr.

I just took up large mouth bass fishing/freshwater in general about 2 years ago. This site and all of you have pointed me in the right direction. Just trying to give back a little. That's what fishing is all about..... Spread the word about what a wonderful sport this is. Thanks to my Dad, I've picked up a hobby/passion of a lifetime.
Hey JB what did you end up buying? Did you ever make it out? Let us know what's happening.
yah sorry guys i went with the motor oil set up but with no luck. I went out to the cement ship and the waves were huge. I fished for awhile along the shore then headed up to the pier and every guy on the pier had some sort of grub and a few guys had some fish in their buckets. If you go for the first time be careful of these waves they are very big and powerful. It was a nice day and cant complain but i will keep at it and maybe one day meet up with Glen to really learn how to fish this way.
Thanks for the report back JB. I'm hoping to get some time off to fish up your way. I'll PM you when I have a weekend free. Keep at it. You are in some productive waters up there. Sunset/Manresa Beach are very good places to fish. As you said, watch the wave action. The bad thing about winter tides are they're big. The good thing about winter are the big perch that come in close to the shoreline.

glenn