Locations around SJ ?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and needed some help on where to fish. I reside in San Jose Downtown and have no clue where to fish freshwater. If anyone can reply to this post I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
Hop on highway 17 and go to Lexington, that is one of my favorite lakes, and it holds some monsters. I've heard a few good reports from friends lately catching them on jerkbaits, and senkos there. You should check it out, you can drive the entire lake and park on the side of the road. They have been having luck closer to the creek, but not too far up the creek. The water is pretty high there. If I still lived in San Jose, and not Morgan Hill, I would be going there every chance I got instead of the the local Morgan Hill lakes, even though the Morgan Hill lakes are pretty good too.
Thanks for the heads up! Just looked into it and its about a half hour drive from where i'm at. Do you happen to know any other good spots in San Jose ?
Most of the good reservoirs (Anderson, Coyote, Calero, Chesbro, Uvas, Guadalupe, Almaden) are in south San Jose and will probably be the same distance as Lexington.

There's Lake Cunningham on the east side which gets stocked with trout but I don't think I've ever seen anyone post a report about fishing there.

There are percolation ponds on the north side of the 17/85 interchange that get fished but heavy pressure.

Vasona Reservoir is another place I rarely see any fishing reports on, I fished there a few times as a little kid and saw some catfish pulled out.

Almaden Lake is run by the city and opens at dawn and free admission, but another lake that gets heavy pressure. There are also some percolation ponds to the northwest of that lake that can be fished. The ponds to the north of the lake I believe are off limits.

San Luis Reservoir is about a 45 minute drive with a gripload of stripers but I've never caught jack there! (bait fishing from shore). If you have a boat though you can do really well.

On a sidenote, I wouldn't eat any of the fish you catch in the lakes around here because of mercury poisoning (contamination from the quicksilver mines).
UNDER PRESSURE Thats not a joke all these local ponds lakes are truly Pressured
what bait would be the best to use if I were to go fish at lexington?
blckshirt98 wrote:

On a sidenote, I wouldn't eat any of the fish you catch in the lakes around here because of mercury poisoning (contamination from the quicksilver mines).

But the mercury adds that little something extra special to the flavor. ;)
is fish caught at lexington safe to eat ?? and what type of bait would be the best to use at lexington ?
Depends on what you define as safe. Most would tell you that it is not recommended to eat fish out of any of the waters in Santa Clara county mentioned on this thread. Sure 1 fish won't kill ya, but it sure has high levels of mercury so why even bother eating it.

Personally, I wouldn't eat any of the fish in our local waters.
so where would I fish at if i wanted to actually eat the fish i catch?
RiceBucket wrote:
so where would I fish at if i wanted to actually eat the fish i catch?

Ocean! Surf perch are easy to catch and pretty darn tasty!
any fish around san jose that is safe to eat ?
Stocked trout is your best bet. Check the DFG site for their planting schedule. The perc ponds at the 17/85 interchange gets some fish now and then, and Cunningham too. It actually looks like Cunningham got some fish this week -

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/Defau ... a&time=All
RiceBucket wrote:

I meant as in any fish around san jose that is safe to eat AFTER you catch them? Basically saying which fishing spots around san jose are the fish safe to eat?
blckshirt gave you a couple good suggestions with the perch and the planter trout. I heard that if you eat a largemouth from the local waters, even one, you will bleed profusely...from yer' a-hole.
That's why I never do it.
I dunno about The Fish Market...went there once to get some shrimp and they have it in bags frozen, and the bag says they were farmed in Vietnam.

San Jose is a concrete jungle, DFG planted trout is the only fish I'd eat out of any fresh water lake in the city. Anything else is up to your own discretion.
RiceBucket wrote:

Practice catch and release to keep our lakes in good shape for years to come
CaliBass wrote:
RiceBucket wrote:

Practice catch and release to keep our lakes in good shape for years to come

+1

Don't be one of those bucketeers that keep anything edible.
So does anyone know if the fish caught at Lexington is safe to eat ?