Look What I found!

From time to time, I find old reels at the thrift stores, and look at them with all the curiosity in the world, and then I tend to buy them. Often they are decent reel manufactures from the past, and in their days were considered to be top of the line, but now they rot on shelves at second hand stores, never to feel the cool air coming off the waters they once patrolled. Sounds like a bunch of random jabber I know, but I am fascinated with the quality and how these old reels work, and what is on the inside.

So Yesterday I stopped at a Goodwill out in San Jose, CA and saw this little fellow on the shelf. I figured he didn't look like he was in to bad of shape, I picked it up, gave it a once over, made sure it functioned fairly decent, and all the parts were there. Then I saw that it was unmarked, and when you find things unmarked at Goodwill, you sure to get it cheaper than it was going to be when marked. So I asked and the cashier said $5.00. I said Deal. After a thorough cleaning, taking it apart, and then running almost all pieces through the ultrasonic cleaner we have at work, she came out beautiful as ever. Only need to go find a single bolt, as the end threads have been stripped off. Only one minor flaw on the entire reel.

I hope to use it, Always thought it would be cool to use something vintage to land a big ocean fish. What do you guys think?
That's a nice find. It sure looks clean!
When I found it, it was pretty corroded and dirty, but it only took me 2 hours to clean it up to this.
I think you paid to much ,
better off with a new bag of senko's
hahahaha,
Robb
1Old man wrote:
I think you paid to much ,
better off with a new bag of senko's
hahahaha,
Robb

haha, it's always a fun project for me to clean it up. The last one I picked up for 7.00$ and sold it for 25$ on Criagslist. I might sell this one for some bait cash.. 8-)
Sweet Find maybe you can get a new reel-ality show lol
Like american pickers or storage wars very cool man cool hobby :D
almadenbassmaster wrote:
Sweet Find maybe you can get a new reel-ality show lol
Like american pickers or storage wars very cool man cool hobby :D

haha,

"Reel-Fishin' with Dave!"

Clearly it would be on TLC, or History Channel... Because it's historically important.

If anyone ever finds any of these Old guys on shelves, lemme know, or pick it up. I'd clean it up for you... Or take it off your hands if the price is fair.
I will start looking i frequent some spots here to belmont if i find something i will give you a pm :D
I love the old tackle. You might appreciate this. My HURD "SuperCaster".
Made in the 40's by a Detroit lock company. Even has a levelwind!
ImageImage
Thats AWESOME.
That is a sweet vintage reel! Nice find!