Monterey 11/24

Captain Winddog took myself, and IBangBangU, out for another glorious day on the bay Saturday. We were like a well oiled, fishing machine. IBang would catch the all the rock fish, clearing the way for me to catch the small lings, in turn clearing the way for Winddog, to catch the bigger lings. What a team! lol

Thanks for a great day guys.

ImageImageImage
;)
WOW.. those are nice big lings! Good catches guys!
A great day indeed...although I was killing it on the rockfish, I did not score a single ling which was my target fish! I had one good takedown which felt like a decent ling but came off after a couple cranks. Luckily, I was able to get a few ling filets to fry up from Captain Steve!

I had a great time with a great crew! Thanks for another great trip on Warp None tours!

Oh yea, the sealions were destroying these mola molas that were up shallow everywhere. They would bite them and throw them around and then leave it to die. Took a pic of one since I've never seen it up close...too bad it was mutilated.
That's a weird looking fish. You didn't keep the ones that were thrown around? Are they not good to keep/eat?
hybrid90 wrote:
That's a weird looking fish. You didn't keep the ones that were thrown around? Are they not good to keep/eat?

From the pacific sunfish wiki page.."Adult sunfish are vulnerable to few natural predators, but sea lions, orcas and sharks will consume them. Among humans, sunfish are considered a delicacy in some parts of the world, including Japan, the Korean peninsula and Taiwan."

Usually things that are considered "delicacies" are just plain weird or downright disgusting, so no. lol
hybrid90 wrote:

This seems to be a common sight around were I fish, not sure what the sea lions are thinking, they tear off the top & bottom fins & leave the rest.
These are all youg ones (small sized) Don't know if the sea lions would take on a full grown one.

My understanding is there is a small piece of eatable meat at the core of the Mola Mola, the rest is stringy & tough.

Here's a pic of one before being torn up.
The top and bottom fins are sealion "delicacies".. [green]
houla wrote:
The top and bottom fins are sealion "delicacies".. [green]

lol lol

That thing was dense and heavy as hell...easily over 20lbs, I could barely lift the net. I was quite shocked at how heavy it was for its size.