Muddy waters

Hi, has anyone been fishing the muddy/stained water of the surrounding reservoirs lately? Chesbro, Uvas, Calero, Almaden res, and I think Coyote too, are all pretty muddy and high. Anyone been having any luck? I've been having trouble trying to figure out what to catch them on with the water raising so fast and being so stained. Do most of you just give it a few weeks, until the water clears up, or do you just use darker bait colors (black or black/blue)? On another note, I accidentaly walked up on a massive brown eagle at Chesbro that was feeding on a bass that had to have been about 5.5lbs or more, so crazy. It sucks when the birds are catching more fish then you lol
I havent fished any lately but normally in these conditions I will slow down my presentation and use really dark colors such as black with red flake. I caught my biggest bass (7lbs) on a carolina rigged black red flake brush hog.
Going to give Yote a try after work today, I'll post up how the water looks tomorrow.
Yotes starting to clear up, much better than uvas but still not great. With the low temps out there and its reputation as a tough fishery im not getting my hopes up til spring
I went to Stevens Creek last week. It actually looked worse than a couple of weeks ago. Those debris from the rain were all over the place. I would think they were brown to certain section and settled by now. I have to walk around to find a place where I can cast without stuff on the water.

I'm having hard time with these muddy water. Any of you know how to fish these water successfully?
So there is two answers to this dilema. muddy water is a good thing , cold water can be a bad thing . Muddy water lets the fish move up shallow because they know they can't be seen from above and secondly , they need to get "closer" to the food . cold water slows the metabolism and the fish don't eat as much , making the strike ratio less . Cold water can sometimes force guys to look for a reaction bite ( i am not good at this ) .
Personally , when the water is muddy , I look for the warmest muddy water I can find in a lake .
Big bass (females) look for warmest muddy water early in spring to develop her eggs and get the spawn started . Two of my biggest bass ( a 10.4 and 10.8) were caught in cold shallow water that was muddy , but it was the warmest water in the lake at the time( 52-54 degrees') . If a big bass can find water that's a couple of degrees' warmer than sitting in deep colder water , and the water is muddy , they move up and sit there. Put a nice big bait right on her nose , bingo.
tight lines ,
Robb
1Old man wrote:
So there is two answers to this dilema. muddy water is a good thing , cold water can be a bad thing . Muddy water lets the fish move up shallow because they know they can't be seen from above and secondly , they need to get "closer" to the food . cold water slows the metabolism and the fish don't eat as much , making the strike ratio less . Cold water can sometimes force guys to look for a reaction bite ( i am not good at this ) .
Personally , when the water is muddy , I look for the warmest muddy water I can find in a lake .
Big bass (females) look for warmest muddy water early in spring to develop her eggs and get the spawn started . Two of my biggest bass ( a 10.4 and 10.8) were caught in cold shallow water that was muddy , but it was the warmest water in the lake at the time( 52-54 degrees') . If a big bass can find water that's a couple of degrees' warmer than sitting in deep colder water , and the water is muddy , they move up and sit there. Put a nice big bait right on her nose , bingo.
tight lines ,
Robb

Thanks, Robb. I had a metal picture all fish are just sitting quietly deep in the water. Didn't think about the shallow. I have to change up and try that next time.
loop dad ,
I have the same issue . when I went to Calero last week (first time in months) I was looking for bass deep because there was little sun , and no wind to drive the fish shallow .
I saw plenty of fish in certain rocky deep area's but couldn't get them to go , I ended up with one fissh that was almost 5 lbs , but that was the only bite i got .
If the wind was blowing and the sun was out , i would have followed both . I got a 10.4 two years ago doing this and she was literally sitting in about 3 feet of cold muddy water warming herself.
If I was to guess , the water she was in was probably about 2 or 3 degree's warmer than if she was sitting in the closest deep water that she would normally roam .
tight lines
Robb
I agree to an extent, stained water makes a fish feel much safer, chocolate milk (like at uvas) mixed with the lowest temps of the year is no good. With their metabolism being so low and visibility at near zero you either have to drop it on their nose, or get a reaction strike out of them. Plain and simple its tough, your not gonna do much, espescially from shore. Bass can slow their digestion to weeks in the winter or hours in the summer. Bottom line you gotta find the fish, you cant wait for em to swim by your lure cuz theyre not covering alot of water or wanting to expend alot of energy chasing something.

The majority of fish will stack in the warmest column of water. Definitely look for water thats 2* warmer.thats a huge variance. Usually shallow water will be cooler at the same depth deeper water as the ground gets colder than water and cools the water. Fish jigs with rattles ultra slow in crawdad and dark colors, fish around rock in the water since the rocks retain heat. Fish will stack up on rock. If you can find suspended fish work your spinnerbaits and crankbaits at the riht depth.
Winddog wrote:
Going to give Yote a try after work today, I'll post up how the water looks tomorrow.

No luck. Water's still pretty stained but improving. I will say #1 muddy water warms faster, & #2 there will be lots of riprap to fish when it does warm up. :)

Thanks for the gems in the few posts prior to this, good stuff!