New Surf Perchin Rig

Well... Was looking at selling the 10' 6" St Croix to get a shorter version, but the season is here.

So... I decided to pair it up with a nice fishing mate instead!

And here it is.

Got a smoking deal on it so I really didn't wanna pass it up. At first when I got it in the mail and opened it up I wasn't too impressed. Felt like any other 4000 I had. I normally get the Shimano FX4000 for all around work horses and honestly it felt the same. I though...maybe I'll return and just get a few lower end models. That was before I took it home, spooled it and mounted it on the rod.

Such a HUGE difference. Honestly almost seems cheap because it's so light. I might be scared to whip it and put it to use!?!? WE'll see about that soon.

Looks ok on the rod but I'm still thinking of updating the rod. If anyone is interested in a very lightly used 10' 6" St Croix steelhead/salmon rod let me know.

A couple more.

Sorry these two were upsidedown. Got lazy...

Can't wait to put them to good use!!! Hope the rain clears soon.

fnf
Just curious, why do you want to with a shorter rod? Not questioning your decision, just doing research. I don't currently own a surf rig. Nice reel BTW!
Thanks!

Well, so a few reasons. I guess the main reason is cuz with the rig I use for casting (as opposed to bait fishing) I don't need to go so deep into the surf. I was told at one point that being able to cast as far into the water as I could would be necessary. I've found that not to be so true for me. I'm casting just over the break most times and find the fish. And truth be told I've tried to launch my line out as far as I could but I don't get THAT much farther with the 10' 6" than with my day to day 7' ugly stik. I actually really like the ugly for most scenarios but it's not as stiff as I would like my surf perch rig to be.

The other and also very important factor, to me, is that a 10' 6" rod is kinda difficult to lug around in my truck cab. During the perch season I tend to cary at least two rods in my truck at all times. I'd like to be able to put the rod in the back seat and my 10' 6" will not allow me to do that. Even when broken down into two sections it's still too long to fit across the back seat. I have a 9' surf rod that fits just fine so I'm looking for an 8' 6" salmon/steelhead rod to replace this one.

Some guys that do VERY well on surf perch swear on the 10' - 10' 6" size but for me I think the 8' 6" is the way to go.

I had never tried casting for perch before. I had always done surf rod bait fishing so casting has been a bit of trial and error so far.

Now... Remember this is a perch rig not really a surf fishing rig. I have a 10' surf rod for summer surf fishing that also doubles as my heavy pier and bait fishing rod.

This is my third reason - most of my rods are double duty rods. The smaller 8' 6" salmon/steelhead rod will also be able to double as my lighter bait catching rig but can still handle a bit of a larger fish should I be so lucky.

These are really just personal preferences.

A 10' 6" may right for you?
I told ya, when you 1st asked..... ;)
norcalkat_408 wrote:

i know man. shoulda listened.

well, trial and error man.

it's fishing!
F33rNoFish wrote:
norcalkat_408 wrote:

it's fishing!

You need to work on your sales pitch lol How much were you thinking of selling for? Not that I'm really in the market for a 10'6" now. ;)
Thanks for the info!
well, again. a 10.6 may be ideal for you. not sure. some swear by the size so it can be the right fit for others.

for me, and how i fish or play hooky, i need something shorter so that when i find the time to escape, i'm prepared! haha

last season, or after the season, i was looking at selling it and i was looking at 150ish. i see that they've come down a bit to around 130 so then i was looking at sending it back to st. croix to do their trade up program. i'd pay $60 and would get the size, power and upgraded model from the wild river.

still thinking about doing that...
Just teasing you. I understand your point. The trade up deal sounds like a good one.
Thanks again for your input/opinion.
houla wrote:
Just teasing you. I understand your point. The trade up deal sounds like a good one.
Thanks again for your input/opinion.

you looking to get into perchin?

fun stuff man. they're more abundant than stripes and for their size put up a damn good fight. translates into more successful trips...well, in theory. haha

lately i've been doing well within the bay rather than in the surf. still wanna be prepared tho!
Always looking for new opportunities to fight fish, I'm not picky. What areas of the bay do you fish? What type of structure? I've only caught small Shiner(I think)perch in the bay but that was just messing around in Redwood City Harbor with my car-top boat. Do the perch in the bay crave the sandworm as much as the fish in the surf?
So are you based out of the peninsula?

Or where exactly and then I can PM you.

I have two spot that are really active right now.

One is next to a rocky shore and you wouldn't expect it to produce but it does!

The other is all rocky shore and I've recently pulled out 1-2 lbers.

A couple other spots too. Will let you know.
Mighty kind of you. Yeah, I'm on the peninsula, Mtn.View area to be exact. I also have a big shot bro-in-law(actually super cool guy) who has a sailboat moored at ATT Park, so I can pull all-nighters in that area too [green] . It would be great to be able to show his son/my nephew some hot spots around their boat. Thanks!
Ended up with an 8' 6" heavy steelhead rod. This way it's my perch, bait AND cod rod on rental skiffs!

And hopefully will be my "light" setup for stripe hunting in summer!

Should have it by early Jan to test out. }:(

Any interest in my 10' 6" wild river pls PM me.

fnf
houla wrote:
F33rNoFish wrote:
norcalkat_408 wrote:

it's fishing!

You need to work on your sales pitch lol How much were you thinking of selling for? Not that I'm really in the market for a 10'6" now. ;)
Thanks for the info!

It won't fit in the Jeep Houla. [green]
ah see but in a jeep it would just be COOL to have the rod sticking out the back! haha
....oh and thx to whomever fixed my upside down pix! [green]
Winddog wrote:

Maybe true, but my Zebco Dora the Exolprer Spincast combo just aint' cutting it anymore. lol
houla wrote:
Winddog wrote:

Maybe true, but my Zebco Dora the Exolprer Spincast combo just aint' cutting it anymore. lol

LOL, Em has one of those.
I hear some of the biggest lucky catches have been caught on those rods!
F33rNoFish wrote:
I hear some of the biggest lucky catches have been caught on those rods!

Just one more thing that makes this such a great sport/hobby. You can have all the hottest, most expensive gear with years of knowledge and experience to back it up, yet there is still the distinct possibility that a little kid, or yer' girlfriend will show you up. lol