New Surf Rod: Your Opinions

hey all, what do you guys think about this rod for surf fishing?

what reel would you guys pair it up with?

http://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4371

edit: here's another. not sure about these, i've never really heard of the brand other than fishing line: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4039353
FNF,

What type of surf fishing do you plan on doing and for what species? Also, where are you going to be fishing? Steep beaches with big surf vs nice flat beaches with moderate surf action. This will help us answer you question.

Glenn
i'd like to use it for all around surf fishing. i'd likely target perch and striper mostly.

i have 10' medium rods with penn's (704z and 650ssm), but looking for a lighter rod that i can easily cast without getting really wiped out or soak bait if i wanted to kick back.

thanks, glenn. maybe i'll have it ready for the perch get together. :)
FNF,

That helps a lot. My go to surf rod for perch grubbing is a Salmon/Steelhead rod, medium action, 8'.6" to 10.6" and anything in between. This rod will allow you to throw a carolina rig with a 1.5 oz egg sinker with ease. I personally opt for the 10.6 because it allows me to cast out further...only if I need to. Most of my cast start out at 25 feet or so. I'll fish very close to shore and fan cast. If I don't get bit then I fan cast the same area just a little further out.

I would pair that rod up with a 4000 size reel of your choice. 10lb mono will be good for most applications. If you like braided line then I would go with braid.

The best thing to do is go to your local tackle shop and find the rod and reel you want to buy and match the two together to really get a feel of what it's like in your hand.

The longer medium action salmon/steelhead rods will allow you to throw swimbaits and hair raisers in the 1 1/2 oz range during striped bass season starting in April.

There are a lot of guys who will try to sell you on being a "light tackle" enthusiast throwing 4lb mono with 4 lb leader. I've done this and yes it can be fun but it's more trouble than what its worth. You spend more time re-tying line that you will be fishing.

Let me know how it all works out. I'm working the next couple of weekend and the tides are a little off. You still have time to get your set up together before I set a date.....

Glenn
Yeah, a steelhead outfit is probably the most versatile for pulling double duty as a light duty bass/heavy perch surf rod and as a bay bass setup.

A word on the "ultralight tackle" thing...I wouldn't recommend 4lb test for any kind of salt fishing, agreed that its pointless and likely to backfire too, if ya tie in to a good sized perch around structure, let alone anything else. There is a place for light tackle in the salt (say 6lb-8lb class finesse black bass gear) though, in a specialized perch fishing role. You can use baits/techniques that you just can't pull off effectively with heavier gear. Theres more to life than C rigs! That said, if you don't have a steelhead setup you should pick one up. If you plan on doing a lot of perch fishing though, don't entirely discount light gear.
I have 2 shimano scimitar rods 8'6" spinning toss 1/4 to 1oz with ease and they are great for salmon and perch fishing. I got them for about $45 each at Sports Authority with the coupon they offer.

I have caught many perch, stripers and salmon on them ( biggest fishing being 9lbs) and they are great for light tackle.

one rod has a Abu Garcia Cardinal 302 on it with 15lb braid(4lb dia.) that I use for Salmon and Perch. Reels are about $30

other rod has a Shimano Symetre 4000 with 30lb braid(10lb dia) that I use for Stripers when I want to toss Hair Raisors. Reels are about $80

If you are looking for something more geared for Big Stripers I also have a St.Croix Mojo 10"6 3/4-40z paired up Shimano Albrid Power Aero Ci4 Type 5. This is more of a Serious Setup and with rod and reel I have over $500 into it.
checked out sports authority, no sales going on right now. although, they have a few rods that i'm looking at. seen the wright & mccgill salmon/steelhead KEVLAR rods. a bit too much for me, but that would likely outlast my lifetime! bulletproof! LOL

also checked out st. croix, g.loomis, lamiglas and even fenwick. the g.loomis seem to be the most expensive, but st. croix have decent priced rods like the Wild River in medium ($170) and the Triumph in medium/heavy ($150).

you guys have any info on either?
Those are all good, few things you have to look into 1st.
-your total budget
-what fish you are targeting
-what lures/weights you plan on using

that will help you figure out what you should get. I gave you examples what works for me....but its not the perfect setup either, but I have no problem putting on fish and landing them ;)
i just picked up a G Loomis IMX surf rod, 10' rated 1/2-3oz.. pairing with vs200

i do also have a 10' mojo with a calcutta on it.. and i love it for chucking bait
i had a 9' g loomis IMX surf rod in my hand the other day.. and i loved how it felt.. and i wanted it, but i really wanted the 10 footer.. maybe closer to march i'll grab the 9, we'll see.

for perch, i use a gloomis 8'6" medium.. it has handled a 40+ inch leopard shark and a large ray no problem... and i caught two lucky stripers on it (lucky meaning i was going for perch)
norcalkat_408 wrote:
but I have no problem putting on fish and landing them ;)

that's cuz you gots skillz! haha

yeah, i'd love to get all top of the line stuff, but you're right. budget budget budget. sounds like my wife. lol

i'd love to get a pimp VS too, but that's just not on the books. maybe some day since it would prob be the last reel i would ever buy for saltwater (or not }:( ) and be able to pass it along to my son.

i do want to invest in the rod tho.
fishpimp wrote:
i just picked up a G Loomis IMX surf rod, 10' rated 1/2-3oz.. pairing with vs200

i do also have a 10' mojo with a calcutta on it.. and i love it for chucking bait

i had a 9' g loomis IMX surf rod in my hand the other day.. and i loved how it felt.. and i wanted it, but i really wanted the 10 footer.. maybe closer to march i'll grab the 9, we'll see.

for perch, i use a gloomis 8'6" medium.. it has handled a 40+ inch leopard shark and a large ray no problem... and i caught two lucky stripers on it (lucky meaning i was going for perch)

awesome gear and awesome lucky stripes! :)

i'm leaning toward the st. croix right about now, but we'll see.

how're st. croix's and g.loomis' warranties?

oh, and btw, if any of you want to sell some of the gear you're not using to make room for new pimpy gear, i'm all ears...errrr, eyes!
while i like the Van Staals for what they are, I just think it is too much overkill for our area. VS reels are for those who like to be deep to their chest in water and dont want to be careful with their reel when they lay it in the sand. There is a lot better reels out there for a lot cheaper, just dont dunk your reel in sand or water. I only know of 1 fisherman in the west coast that goes "swimming" to his spots and he is crazy for that. [8|] Van Staals are popular in the east coast because the water they fish in is 3-4 feet deep 75 yards in, not like ours that drop off deep fast in some areas plus they dont have the strong swells we get. So its more of a eye candy thing on the west coast imo, and if i was going to get something in that range i would get a ZeeBaas Reel }:(

Same goes for G Loomis, Great Rods as long as you pick the right one for your application and great warranty, but man it comes with a price tag. There is other great companies out there like St. Croix that back up their product 100% and even offer a trade up program.

Like I said figure out what kind of fishing you are going to do......and then narrow it down to your budget and post up what you find, i will tell you what i think. I dont bait dunk, I am a 100% lure fisherman, so i am really happy with my setups. [green]
cool.. i have a shimano chronarch on my 8'6" and i dunked it while i was in santa monica and it was no bueno.. did an emergency fix to it while on the beach and eventually cleaned and lubed when i got home.. but that experience made me want to get the vs200. i actually ordered it this morning and i expect it some time this week.. kinda excited. but i know what you mean on budget, those things cost alot.. ran it by the lady and she was okay with it luckily.. her rationale is that fishing keeps me out of trouble LOL

you really can't go wrong with those choices.. love the mojo and gloomis.. i would try to go with a 9-10 footer if you can, our waters can get super rough and you are eventually going to want to throw at least 1.5 ounces with confidence. my 8'6" is only rated to 3/4 ounce but i can still throw a 1 oz. pretty good.. 1.5 and it's starts loading a bit too much but it can still handle it.. for perch, i really havent had a problem catching them with 1 oz sinkers.

g loomis has a lifetime warranty.. and i think you can even trade up with st. croix too.. could be wrong on that tho

i have heard that both companies have excellent customer service.
FNF,

I use the St. Croix Wild river for perch fishing and for the early run of schoolie striped bass. The Wild River in medium action will be more than enough stick to get you through the season. If you chose to upgrade, St. Croix has a great "trade up" program. Their customer service is second to none.

We're talking about 3lb perch and maybe 5-10 lb schoolie stripers. The medium action will let you throw a 1.5 oz egg sinker or a 1.5 hair raiser or lure of choice all day long. Stick to your budget!!!!!

Glenn
FNF,

I have a 9' Surfking, paired it with a 4000 Stradic. Worked good for perchin and throwing bucktails for stripers. But i don't use it anymore as i use my G Loomis surf rod more for throwing heaviere plugs.

If you get one, you may like it for a couple of season but you'll be looking to upgrade after. Something to think about.
norcalkat_408 wrote:
while i like the Van Staals for what they are, I just think it is too much overkill for our area. VS reels are for those who like to be deep to their chest in water and dont want to be careful with their reel when they lay it in the sand. There is a lot better reels out there for a lot cheaper, just dont dunk your reel in sand or water. I only know of 1 fisherman in the west coast that goes "swimming" to his spots and he is crazy for that. [8|] Van Staals are popular in the east coast because the water they fish in is 3-4 feet deep 75 yards in, not like ours that drop off deep fast in some areas plus they dont have the strong swells we get. So its more of a eye candy thing on the west coast imo, and if i was going to get something in that range i would get a ZeeBaas Reel }:(

Hey man, dudes name is fishpimp. He likes to do it big, thats just how he rolls 8-)

Gotta say I agree with St Croix having a badass warranty and trade in program, along with excellent product.
Yeah I love my Mojo I use for Pluggin'. Great Light Rod and good action to it once you figure out how to use it. Not sure if I would use it for perch fishing though. Thats why I have my Scmitars from Shimano for, they work great for that type of fishing.

Not sure if I would trade my Mojo for a Legend since I am really happy with it....if I do get another surf Rod it will be a 10ft to handle 2-5 oz so I can throw bigger plugs but I doubt I will because the size I throw now is working really well ;)
I think I will get the st croix but was REALLY looking at the ugly stik inshore special. Thing is that its only a 7'6" rod. But for 49$ I may get one anyhow. :)
is there any difference between G. Loomis and Gary Loomis? I would think they're one in the same.

however, i'm looking at some rods and they're not described as G. Loomis and are less expensive as well as foreign made.

any experience with them?