Nov 3 2012 Dungeness crab season opener HMB Pillar Point

Well had a fun day @ Pillar Point and saw IBangBangU there with his kayak. He stopped at our camp to say hi to my dad and meet my capt and crew. Got to show him our catch, that I forgot to take pictures of. We got 30 dungeness today fishing 6 pots @ 170 ft 3.5 mi out. Jelly fish are migrating everywhere...my arms, hands, and face is burning up right now from spray off the puller! Have clean cooked crab to pass out to family first, then out to friends...just maybe. (tease) Not going out tomorrow, but will be fishing Wed. and next weekend. Just worn out from the past 2 days. Here is our view from today...
Attachment:
2012-11-03_13-28-49_789.jpg

Attachment:
2012-11-03_13-29-15_684.jpg

Attachment:
2012-11-03_13-32-07_931.jpg

Attachment:
2012-11-03_13-32-33_592.jpg

Attachment:
2012-11-03_13-29-29_778.jpg
Good seeing you out there Ryan.

It was crazy dodging boats out there. We did our best to stay out of the main boating lanes, but some boats were just all over the place zooming by us.

Dropped pots in 35ft and worked a hoop for about 5 hours for 7 dungies and 1 popeye rock crab. Most were 6"+ with few over 7". Couldn't ask for better weather on opening day too!

We all feasted when we got back to shore, and then gorged some more when I got home. Fun times!
Won - how far did you go out from the launchpad and what's the limit for keeps?

Man.. you are hardcore for dropping and pulling up pots from the yak! [8|]

I'll just wait for them crabs to go on sale at the Asian supermarket cuz I have neither a yak or a boat LOL. Much easier and less messy for me haha [green]
hybrid90 wrote:
Won - how far did you go out from the launchpad and what's the limit for keeps?

Man.. you are hardcore for dropping and pulling up pots from the yak! [8|]

I'll just wait for them crabs to go on sale at the Asian supermarket cuz I have neither a yak or a boat LOL. Much easier and less messy for me haha [green]

We launched from where Half Moon Bay kayak is located, out the harbor and maybe another half mile to a mile south before we dropped pots. It took me about 35 minutes before I dropped my first pot. The legal limit is 5.75", 10 per day.

Also, its pretty easy doing this from a yak, especially since the one I have is fairly wide and stable.

I don't do this to save money on buying crabs or anything. Its definitely easier to buy from the market, but its fun kayaking and chilling with friends out there. Not to mention these are more fresh than the asian market ones! And I only spent about $5 on bait. [green]
shoots Won you always take cool pictures. I wish I had remembered to click a picture of our big cooler, with our catch, but I brain farted! You need a puller on that yak, you animal!
Attachment:
railside.jpg