November Perch Yesirree Bob

haven't posted anything in a while-hope everyone is well and will all have a suitable Thanksgiving-with time for fishing of course.

Last Friday I went to Palm State Beach in Watsonville. Got there about 7am. Walked by some guys that appeared to be putting on squid pieces and tossing em out and letting them sit. One guy showed me he had an average size perch in 5 gal bucket. So I move on down the beach about a 100 yards.

So I start with Gulp Camo Grubs the 2 inch variety and a Carolina rig. The conditions on last Friday by the way were awesome. Waves kind a smallish (technical wave talk), the sun came out early, and wave intervals allowed time between casts to work the lure/bait.

anyway I caught 3 perch average size in about 30 minutes-I thought that was pretty good. I was enjoying my stogie and thought would like to cast for something bigger (something bigger never was caught ;( >:-( )

Just enjoying the day and not in a particular hurry to do anything. I wondered if I threw out and let one of the Gulp Camo worms sit in the surf-would they catch perch without the retrieve. The other guys weren't catching and left at about 9am. I noticed zero sandcrabs on the beach in the surf etc. I used a good size duo lock snap and swivel. Opened it up slid a 2 ounce pyramid on it. Then (saw this before don't remember when) tied about 3 foot leader # 4 hook and put a swivel on the end. I slid that swivel also onto the snap part of the duo lock. Both the pyramid and swivel being together in the snapped part. It never tangled all morning.

I stakes my stake in the sand fired it out with a 2 inch grub and let her sit. picked up my 9footer and started throwing out to no avail. No striper no bite with the bigger stuff. Within 3 or 4 minutes I see the rod in the stand shaking back and forth. I reel in a good size perch. Nice. I re rig throw out leave it, cast the other rod again, turnaround and it's shaking again. I reel in another. This went on 6 time in a row! Never had to wait more than 4-5 minutes for another hookup. Amazing. Shows me that you can actually let those gulp worms sit and the Perch or whatever hook themselves-at least in this set up they did.

So I got tired of that, I like to be active (even though Beach Potato-is me) so I went back to the Carolina rig and proceeded to lock into "thought it might be a striper-turned out to be a big perch" Perch :D . As a matter of fact then went on to finally have a 15 Perch Day with 3 good, big fat, "shoot wish I was keeping Perch Today"---fish.

Don't ask me about yesterday at Carmel Beach- I can report my activities there no fish, no nibbles, lots of cuties in spandex and good weather.

Yin and Yang of Fishing for sure-Happy fishing see you at the beach sometime.

The Potato
Thanks for the post BP. Hit up up the best unkept secret in the monterey bay area sunday for the outgoing tide. two hours and 4 fish (and the 4 fish within 20 minutes of each other). C-rig gulp camo sandworms (3 oz triangle lead, current was pretty strong)

They hit relatively close to shore (my g/f was casting out as far as she could, I'd cast next to her and BAM!, she was skunked -__-) Thanks for the tip on letting the sandworms just drift in the current, I was used to constantly dragging.

These were probably personal bests for me, one hit and pulled some drag (might have been good timing with the wave) but felt good reeling em in!!!

Unfortunately the fish fry didn't go to well, they were reduced to mush =[[[ I felt bad for not throwing them back.
cool Monkeyman. It's good to see that technique worked again. Not a guarantee but it works. Nice looking fish. From the best unkept secret beach lol
Letting that grub hang in the wash being pushed around is very productive and keeps the bait in the strike zone longer. One way to keep your leader from tangling is to use 30 pound mono...yes 3o pound. I guarantee that you will be tangle free. The perch are not leader shy and will hit your grub. I never have to mess with a tangled leader. If you happen to get a knot it will be very easy to untie. I've seen many perch guys lose Stripers because they believe "light leader" is the way to go. I've never broke a fish off since I've changed.

Hope the tip helps!
Thanks Glen all info is good info. During the striper season that's a good call. I'll definitely throw on the 25 or 30 pound leader. The other way to keep from tangling is I use a duo lock snap with swivel and put your weight on that. After that your leader with swivel ALSO goes on the snap with the weight. Those two separate items in that snap don't seem to get tangled when you use your leader with hook one end and the swivel on to the snap.
beachpotato wrote:
Thanks Glen all info is good info. During the striper season that's a good call. I'll definitely throw on the 25 or 30 pound leader. The other way to keep from tangling is I use a duo lock snap with swivel and put your weight on that. After that your leader with swivel ALSO goes on the snap with the weight. Those two separate items in that snap don't seem to get tangled when you use your leader with hook one end and the swivel on to the snap.

BP
I use a similar set up. The guy the originated your set up "Randy" has been using it for years and many have followed with success!
thx Glenn, damn so much rain in the forecast which is good.....but I'd like to hit the beach you never know those rivers that flow into the bay may kick out some striped materials lol lol lol [green] [green] [green] . I'd like to fish those outlets. Looking like the next 5 days rainy.
I know for sure the lagoon at the mouth of the salinas river is holding Stripers. Yes if the rivers open it will flush those Stripers out and we will have a chance to land a few. Unfortunately when the rivers first start to flow the coastline waters if full of debris. Give it a few weeks after the initial flow and it should be good!
Good tip, thanks Glenn.