O-Neill forebay camping trip

What's up guys. Went camping with the fam over the weekend. Weather was great Friday and Saturday. Sunday was ok but a bit more wind. Mostly fished from shore and did pretty well. Was targeting striped but kept hooking up channel cats. Hooked a total of 6 cats with the biggest going 15+ lbs. What a fight!
Also tried fishing from the yak but didn't have any luck.
Had a great time hanging out with family, fishing and GREAT food.
Attachment:
image.jpg
Very nice, great cat man!
Nice cat Sam!

See any stripers busting the surface while you were there? I want to get back out there soon.
Thanks guys,
I wrote that report last night when I was half asleep...I'm still half asleep.
It was a very good trip. Really liked the campground. Fishing was great.
Tried fishing from shore and from the yak.
Was throwing topwater for stripers. Nothing. Tried trolling on my yak with a rig that Winddog loaned me. Wasn't working to well. lol.
Didn't have much time to fish on the yak because of the time my kids were demanding. lol.
But got some fishing in on the yak.
Mostly fished from shore. Using whole anchovies. Was targeting stripers but only cats would hit.
Now I know where to fish for cats. lol.
A lot of fish jumping. Some looked to be stripers but couldn't really tell. There was A LOT of bait fish. Especially when they turned the pumps on. Couldn't tell what kind of bait fish it was buy I'm thinking it was shad. When the pumps were on we tried fishing at check 12 but didn't even get a bite. A lot of people were getting the same results.
Another cool thing was my 2 year old went on a ride with me on the yak. He was super excited and fearless.
Goods times. Here are a few more pics that are actually rotated right.
Attachment:
image5.jpeg

Attachment:
image7.jpeg

Attachment:
photo 2.JPG
If that rig Winddog lent you is what I think it is, that should have caught plenty of fish! But you do need to be going at least 2.5mph for it to work properly, but it is one striper killing machine! I have yet to get skunked using that rig. Maybe you just need to give it another shot. We'll have to hit it sometime bro. [green]
I think that was the problem. I wasn't able to keep that constant speed.
In addition to that I had no way of knowing how fast I was going. I'll have to bring my GPS next time so I can have an idea of how fast I'm going. I would love to hit that place up again. I think it would be fun to have some company and learn a few things from a more experianced kayak fishermen.
Yea, if you can manage constant speed to keep that rig going, you won't be able to keep the fish off of it! [green]

We'll have to hit it sometime this year before the striper bite gets tough.
IBangBangU wrote:
Yea, if you can manage constant speed to keep that rig going, you won't be able to keep the fish off of it! [green]

Problem is 99% of em' are shakers >:-(
Nice fat cat GS!
Good job GhostSlayer! You found a way to make it fun for the entire family! Time with your 2 years old is gold.
GhostSalyer wrote:
It was a very good trip. Really liked the campground.

Where did you camp at? I've only camped at Medieros (sp?) I remember it being very windy that weekend.
Quote:
Another cool thing was my 2 year old went on a ride with me on the yak. He was super excited and fearless.

Me too... took both my 6 year old (her bday) and 2 year out on the yak too for the first time this past weekend. Daughter had a blast and didn't want to get off the water. Now she's hooked.
Thanks Loop_Dad. I trying to build good memories for them. These are the trips they will remember when there all grown up.

EastSideFisher,
We camped at San Luis Creek Campground inside the O-neill Forebay.
Wind was pretty much non-existant on friday and saturday but picked up a bit on sunday.
The sites also had and electrical hook up which was an unexpected big plus. For phone chargers, stero or whatever else you wanted to bring that needed electricity.
I checked to make sure the wind was not going to be an issue prior to going.
Both my sons went on the yak with me but my older boy didn't like it as much. The younger one was all over it though, he truly enjoyed the ride.
Good times. Love camping and the fishing was great too.
Nice cats brother.
This is what i got on friday
Dude nice work Sam! I'd rather catch a 15lb catfish over a diaper striper any day!
I'm gonna have to hit you up for some info on those cats because I would love to catch some quality ones like those.