O'niel Forebay Report 11/30

My little brother and I decided to give a U-rig a test run for the very first time this last Saturday and we had our fill of fun on a perfect day, to say the least.

Started off right out the gates being the first boat there, we got in the water at 5:45am and headed off to some known grounds that produce that early morning magic hour bite for us in the past. We tossed rovers, spooks, and spoons but the bite was just not as good as we expected. Only caught 15 dinks between 3 of us and I lost a decent 20" fish right at the boat near the end of the magic hr. shortly after the Sun popped over the horizon, the bite shut off as if someone simply turned off a switch.

We decided to switch over to swimbaits along the rock wall but it ended up being deader than a dead zombie. It started warming up quick as it was almost 11am. We didn't even have 1 keeper landed yet so we decided it's time to bust out our secret weapon... U-Rig time!

We were driving around the whole morning and didn't locate any fish at all until suddenly come up on a super duper large school that was blippin in all areas of the water column. Sent the rig down and as soon as I started letting line out after about 20 pulls, I get slammed hard and at this time my reel was still on clutch mode since its easier for me to let out line this way. I fumble a bit to disengage the baitrunner clutch and bamm I now feel the full weight of the fish on my rod. It felt extra heavy since we were trolling at a good 3.3mph at the time. No worries because I had 50lb braid on my 12' heavy Penn rod. I muscled it in with the quickness only to find out I had a triple hookup! 2 just under 18" but one keeper 20" finally! We worked that area for a good 2hrs after that and landed countless more doubles and triples but the majority were dinks. Of all 50+ fish we caught, only 4 were keepers from 18"-22".

The boat ran outta gas so we decide it was a good time to take a lunch break around 1:30pm while we make a gas run lol. Got back on the water around 3 after a lazy lunch break and couldn't find the large school of fish we were previously hammering. They had moved and our arms were already sore/beat to hell. We then decided to go test out the coves and try for some LMB.

My bro put on a frog at the end of his line and starts casting around the shallow foxtails and fallen trees. 15 mins in he gets slammed! He yells out, "Hurry get the net, I think it's a DD LMB!" I go to turn on my camera for the Kodak moment and turns out it's actually a Striper on the line. Lol that bad boy was hooked up good, both hooks lodged nicely onto the bottom lip. First time seeing a striper caught on a frog for me . Turns out being a 20" keeper, last one for us.

Had a blast that day and I'm a major advocate for the U-rig now. here are some pics for you guys. Till nextime!

This was the one caught on the frog.

Bonus shot of a cool@ss boat we saw
Nice work Speedie.

That u-rig is a killer! [green]
Thanks Bang! Killer indeed.
Looks fun TY for posting
This is awesome! Good fishing guys!!
Nice report, sounds like an awesome day.

No pic of the striper with the frog in its mouth? That would've been cool.
G3Steve wrote:
Nice report, sounds like an awesome day.

No pic of the striper with the frog in its mouth? That would've been cool.

Forgot to take a close up pic of the frog in it's mouth but here's a short vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff3JSbE ... KQ9c9Ay18g