Perch Fishing

Decided to hit up the beaches on Sunday morning...caught 4 barred perch in the morning, and then halfway into the high tide, the waves just got crazy and the bites went cold. One of the pics, you can see how the perch took both hooks...lol.
i went too but got skunked. well, i did catch a 2 inch dungeness crab...
Nice.. what beach was this?
right on guys!!! Way to get out and show us some diff things...

2in crab huh? bummer dude!!
RICK wrote:
right on guys!!! Way to get out and show us some diff things...

2in crab huh? bummer dude!!

yea, we figure the weather was nice enough to start heading out to the beach. but yea, skunkasaurus caught a cool 2-3" dungeness crab, too bad we couldn't keep it tho, not to eat or anything but just cuz it looked so cool...lol. anyways, hoping to get out to the beach/ocean more often, will post some good catches in the future.
yeah i need to get back out there too.

i am staying true to my name these days...
tamster0420 wrote:

Half Moon Bay. You can catch perch pretty much from any beach along the California coast. dunno what that 0420 is for, but i like that number...a lot...lol. take it easy.
IBangBangU wrote:
tamster0420 wrote:

Half Moon Bay. You can catch perch pretty much from any beach along the California coast. dunno what that 0420 is for, but i like that number...a lot...lol. take it easy.

hahahha.. im going to hit up sunset beach sunday.. hope i can catch some perch!! never been perch fishing before i hope something bites!
the owner at ly's told me someone came in with a 2.5 lb barred perch he caught at sunset. good luck!
skunkasaurus wrote:
the owner at ly's told me someone came in with a 2.5 lb barred perch he caught at sunset. good luck!

Went to Marina Beach for some Perch.. didnt get a bite.. then drove to capitola pier. fish the beach an caught 2 perch.. had alot of bites but didnt get the hook in! planning to go back next weekend.. anyone want to join??
what day do you have in mind? very interested...
tamster0420 wrote:
skunkasaurus wrote:

Went to Marina Beach for some Perch.. didnt get a bite.. then drove to capitola pier. fish the beach an caught 2 perch.. had alot of bites but didnt get the hook in! planning to go back next weekend.. anyone want to join??

Nice...were the perch a good size? Also, what size hooks are you using? The 4 perch that I caught last time, I didn't have to even set the hook in, usually they will catch themselves when I leave my rod there, but yea, sometimes it helps to set the hook for sure. Where did you plan on heading out to next weekend?
Nice...were the perch a good size? Also, what size hooks are you using? The 4 perch that I caught last time, I didn't have to even set the hook in, usually they will catch themselves when I leave my rod there, but yea, sometimes it helps to set the hook for sure. Where did you plan on heading out to next weekend?[/quote]

i was using a size 4 hook with a green sand worm. " Gulp Alive" the perch was small nothing crazy. im planning on going to sunset or around monterey area.. but if you have a good spot for them we can go where ever.. im new to perch fishing!
i hooked one on the camp gulp! but it snapped off due to my weak knot tying skills.

i think we were using size 4 octopus and 4 baitholders.

i hope i can get away this weekend and fish but i got a feeling i will be stuck at work...
hmm, i was using size 4 hooks as well, but didn't have trouble hooking into them. also, i forgot to ask, what type of setup/rig are you using? I notice theres a lot of ways to fish for perch these days, but personally, all the years I've been perch fishing, I stick to my bottom rig with 2 hooks using 3 to 4 oz pyramid sinkers.

hey skunkasaurus, eat a fat one and choke.
Im using a Carolina Rig.. i cast out as far as i can and i just reel it back in slow.. when i feel a hit i just leave it there for another hit before i set the hook... what kind of bait can i use for perch if i try and bait fish.
i use the same rig (carolina) with a 1" paddle tail grub, but if you want to baitfish....try some grass shrimp. Perch loves em.
Yea, grass/ghost shrimp works well, thats what I use. I have tried fishing the Carolina rig and it works, but in my opinion, I've had more luck with the bottom rig, since it allows you to have the hooks at different heights.
The Carolina seems to be popular but will only work when the surf is calm. When we were out the other day I had a C-Rig tied with two hooks -one at the end and one on a palomar (like a drop shot). The seas tangled the $@%& out of it with every case. It was at least part of the reason I got skunked.
And the fact that you didn't listen your buddy who was simply trying to help. Maybe next time you'll have your rig ready to go and not miss the prime time for fishing.